Wiki Posts
Search

[How reliable is] COPA Airlines?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2012, 3:46 pm

Programs: AA-PLT, HH-GLD, PP
Originally Posted by Mr. Vker
OK---fingers crossed!
Back in the days when I did not speak much Spanish (and I am far from fluent now), I would just nod my head and play along like I understood everything when the flight attendant came to speak to those of us in the exit row. I never got kicked out.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 5:35 am

Programs: OnePass Silver Elite;VX eleVate: DL Skymiles: SPG Gold
Flew Copa 3x last year LAX-PTY-PEI. Speak un poco espanol living in SoCal. Never had a problem on the LAX-PTY-LAX route sitting in the exit rows (a lot more english speakers this route). But flying PTY-PEI on 190 i learned my lesson. Never had a problem since, I just don't sit exit on that leg of the trip.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 8:37 am

Programs: KF
Booked on COPA ticket on D operated by United routing PTY-EWR .I tried to do online seat selection and COPA website pulled up the seat map for United. But it gives me seat options only in Economy Plus and even in regular Economy. Is the D class in COPA means Economy Plus in United? or Business CLass in United is First CLass in COPA?If that is the case, I should queue on Economy class lane at United check in at PTY even though Im holding COPA business class ticket? I don't want to be embarrassed and got booted at United Business CLass CHeck in
Old Mar 17, 2012, 12:39 pm

Did you try pulling up your record on the United website? Depending on how it was booked it might show up the booking class on United's side.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 7:25 pm

Programs: KF
Originally Posted by ual744777sta
Did you try pulling up your record on the United website? Depending on how it was booked it might show up the booking class on United's side.
thanks for the tips., I did pulled up my record on UA and alas it showed up. It shows booking class A on United and not D. I was able to choose seat 2A. Thanks for your valuable help.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 11:09 am

Programs: UA MM, Premier Plat, Costco EM
Does anyone know how to check upgrade availability using RPU's (f/k/a CR1s) on COPA?

Thanks
Old Mar 19, 2012, 7:57 am

Originally Posted by ordogg
Does anyone know how to check upgrade availability using RPU's (f/k/a CR1s) on COPA?

Thanks
It's really hard to tell. COPA does not have the R/RN buckets like UA. I am sure that if they are showing D you can use an RPU and probably even with only C class.

I responded to your other post in the UA forum. That has a link to instructions on how to use an RPU on COPA. You have to book on COPA and then call the 1K line. It's a pain in the neck, but it's worked the two times that I did it.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 8:30 pm

Programs: UA MM, Premier Plat, Costco EM
Originally Posted by coolcoil
It's really hard to tell. COPA does not have the R/RN buckets like UA. I am sure that if they are showing D you can use an RPU and probably even with only C class.

I responded to your other post in the UA forum. That has a link to instructions on how to use an RPU on COPA. You have to book on COPA and then call the 1K line. It's a pain in the neck, but it's worked the two times that I did it.
Thanks again for the advice, I ended up booking a Q fare and followed your advice
Old Aug 4, 2013, 6:48 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LT Gold, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC, National EE
Upgrades draw from I

Originally Posted by ordogg
Finishing an itinerary on Copa. I was told upgrades draw from the same I bucket as Saver C class awards.

You can see the upgrade list by clicking on the Flight Information tab, entering the flight you want to check, and selecting the upgrade list tab on the flight status page that comes up.

Last edited by megalab; Aug 4, 2013 at 6:53 pm Reason: Added upgrade list info.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 3:21 am

Programs: UA *G MM
Originally Posted by megalab
Finishing an itinerary on Copa. I was told upgrades draw from the same I bucket as Saver C class awards.

You can see the upgrade list by clicking on the Flight Information tab, entering the flight you want to check, and selecting the upgrade list tab on the flight status page that comes up.
No, they are pulled from Z. You cannot view Z anywhere, including Expertflyer. You have to call Copa. Z is used for all classes of upgrades including the instant upgrades for Y,B,M. I don't think they open up anything before the flight, including at the "windows" for elites. So if Z=0 at booking then you wait until day of flight.

You have to call to get the Z information. But if you see I then you will definitely get the upgrade.

UA codeshares show CDZ (and another class). UA codeshare will show 0 for all these business classes buckets unless D>0 booked as Copa flight. I don't know if the Z class you see from UA has any relation to the Copa Z bucket. I think not based on my brief research because then D (Copa) would indicate upgrade availability; my flight was D>0 and I didn't get my instant upgrade.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 5:10 am

Originally Posted by gnaget
No, they are pulled from Z. You cannot view Z anywhere, including Expertflyer. You have to call Copa. Z is used for all classes of upgrades including the instant upgrades for Y,B,M. I don't think they open up anything before the flight, including at the "windows" for elites. So if Z=0 at booking then you wait until day of flight.

You have to call to get the Z information. But if you see I then you will definitely get the upgrade.
"Z" is the fare code in the UA system for upgrades on UA code shares on COPA metal. If you are booking with COPA, the same seat is an "I" fare. You can see availability for free at this site:

http://www.flightstats.com/go/Flight...vailability.do

If you pick a flight that has both a COPA number and a UA number, you should see that UA "Z" is equal to COPA "I" quantity. I don't know that Z is always equal to I, but I have never seen different.
Old Oct 15, 2015, 5:12 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Does having CM status let you select E+ on United?
Old Oct 15, 2015, 11:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Palal
Does having CM status let you select E+ on United?
It should not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.