Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Self-Upgrade to FLL

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2018, 10:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
Self-Upgrade to FLL

Was on CM265 on Tuesday with 15/16 in Business Class when leaving the gate

A little bit after takeoff someone from economy decided to make it 16/16, plopping themselves into 2F, reclining their seat the whole way back and went to sleep

Was trying to make a bet with the gf to see how long the person would last for, which in Panama could be anything from 30s to lasting the whole flight (depending on how much the FA cares)

Our FA was on the ball, and actually double took when he walked out from the gallery with nuts/drinks for row 1

He came back out with the manifest, “woke up” 2F and asked for their name. Politely told 2F to head back to their seat, which was promptly done

I have seen a lot while in Panama for the last few years, but that’s a first

Old Oct 4, 2018, 4:28 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by pmarrsouth
plopping themselves into 2F
They climbed over pax in 2E?

I'm a bit surprised I haven't seen that before on CM.
A couple of weeks ago on a South African Airways flight, I saw a young woman point at an empty biz class seat and ask "can't I sit here?" before a flight attendant showed her to her correct seat.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 5:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by YadiMolina
They climbed over pax in 2E?

Correct! Tbf, we were on the newer 737-800, with the much roomier business class seats, so it was less of a climb than it would be on a different plane

I do get the feeling that he might have known some of the people who were gated upgraded, and maybe he wanted to join them? Unsure if the woman in 2E knew who he was. There was a woman originally in 2F who had moved to 4F to join someone who she knew sitting in 4E

3A filmed the guy being told to move back to Economy and his “walk of shame”, he saw the camera and he grinned. So they might have been part of the group? (I was originally in 3A, but swapped to 4A, at 4A’s asking, to sit beside my gf who was put in 4B). Standard musical chairs to accommodate the 8 people gate upgraded.

On that note, I never understand why they do not upgrade in proper (logical) order. I would have been upgraded at the same time as my gf - same PNR and she would have had the exact same status as me and was 1 after me on the list. Should be easy enough to give me 3A and then her 3B right away. But you just have to realize it’s panama, so let’s tone down on expected logic

Old Oct 5, 2018, 7:05 am

Programs: MileagePlus Gold, Avis PP, National EE, Lifemiles Silver, ConnectMiles Gold
Originally Posted by pmarrsouth

Correct! Tbf, we were on the newer 737-800, with the much roomier business class seats, so it was less of a climb than it would be on a different plane

I do get the feeling that he might have known some of the people who were gated upgraded, and maybe he wanted to join them? Unsure if the woman in 2E knew who he was. There was a woman originally in 2F who had moved to 4F to join someone who she knew sitting in 4E

3A filmed the guy being told to move back to Economy and his “walk of shame”, he saw the camera and he grinned. So they might have been part of the group? (I was originally in 3A, but swapped to 4A, at 4A’s asking, to sit beside my gf who was put in 4B). Standard musical chairs to accommodate the 8 people gate upgraded.

On that note, I never understand why they do not upgrade in proper (logical) order. I would have been upgraded at the same time as my gf - same PNR and she would have had the exact same status as me and was 1 after me on the list. Should be easy enough to give me 3A and then her 3B right away. But you just have to realize it’s panama, so let’s tone down on expected logic

I've never seen that happen in CM but I've seen it on AV. They get sent back with their tails between their legs. Some audacity they have to pull this off.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by Redwood839
I've never seen that happen in CM but I've seen it on AV.
you took the words right out of my mouth. I have seen it at least twice on. AV.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 7:55 am

Programs: MileagePlus Gold, Avis PP, National EE, Lifemiles Silver, ConnectMiles Gold
Originally Posted by medellinfein
you took the words right out of my mouth. I have seen it at least twice on. AV.
Risk the possibility of a Panamenian F/A snap at you? No thank you.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 10:33 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I've seen someone self-upgrade (ish) on MU short-haul. After boarding was complete, with a nod from the J FA, a passenger from Y walked up to an empty J seat and plonked himself there. He then moved back to Y before we landed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.