Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Copa Business Class B737-MAX9

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2018, 4:11 pm

Programs: AS — views are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employer
Originally Posted by LRMErnst
Also, it looks like generally there are two departures from SFO to PTY - 1:30 AM and 8:50 PM. Any pros or cons to either flight from a service perspective?
Not service-related but one difference to note that may/may not matter to different folks: the 12:30/1:30am flight CM 383 departs Terminal A (unlike the evening CM 209, which departs from G with the rest of Star Alliance). As you probably know, A and G are not connected airside, so it does makes a difference for lounge access, going through security twice. I'll be on CM 383 biz in a couple of weeks; it's a small thing but had I known beforehand, I might have picked the evening flight.
https://www.flysfo.com/content/copa-airlines

Jeff
Old Dec 7, 2018, 9:43 am

Programs: United Gold, DL Silver, Hilton Gold
Thanks Jeff, great to know. My understanding is that flying biz on copa SFO-PTY on CM209 will get you access to the Polaris lounge. Is this correct? Also coming from PTY-SFO in biz, will it get you access to the Polaris arrivals lounge? even if i have a domestic connecting flight in Y?
Thanks
Old Dec 7, 2018, 10:11 am

Programs: AS — views are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employer
Originally Posted by menikmati
Thanks Jeff, great to know. My understanding is that flying biz on copa SFO-PTY on CM209 will get you access to the Polaris lounge. Is this correct? Also coming from PTY-SFO in biz, will it get you access to the Polaris arrivals lounge? even if i have a domestic connecting flight in Y?
Thanks
Unfortunately, no. (I wish!) SFO-PTY does not fit their long-haul definition for Polaris lounge access (i.e., does not include Central America, northern South America, etc.).
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...es/access.html

Regardless of which flight you choose, you should get regular United Club access. (Sorry if I had muddled the matter; you will get lounge access, just that for the other flight you would have to go through security twice to change terminals if visiting the lounge.)
Old Dec 7, 2018, 4:19 pm

Programs: United Gold, DL Silver, Hilton Gold
Thanks for the heads up! So unfortunate, even though the flight from sfo to pty is over 7 hours.
Well i guess i'll try the Polaris lounge some other time...
Old Dec 7, 2018, 8:47 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by menikmati
Thanks for the heads up! So unfortunate, even though the flight from sfo to pty is over 7 hours.
Well i guess i'll try the Polaris lounge some other time...
If you look at their definition it's only pretty deep South America that they include, so even if was farther than PTY but not to one few that qualify, then no luck. It has to be one of only five South American cities. BA, Rio, SP , Santiago and Lima. Top dollar routes.

They are more generous than AA is, by including the Caribbean, Canada and Mexico other than MEX. Makes for crowded clubs at hubs.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 3:11 am

Ugh I was totally planning on having access to Polaris when I booked my SFO-PTY-UIO Copa business class flight on December 31. Ruined my day...
Old Dec 12, 2018, 1:50 am

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Originally Posted by ricktoronto
If you look at their definition it's only pretty deep South America that they include, so even if was farther than PTY but not to one few that qualify, then no luck. It has to be one of only five South American cities. BA, Rio, SP , Santiago and Lima. Top dollar routes.

They are more generous than AA is, by including the Caribbean, Canada and Mexico other than MEX. Makes for crowded clubs at hubs.
Lima is a new addition. I flew IAH-LIM in October and was denied access to Polaris.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 6:32 am

Programs: AA Plat, Sixt Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Avis First, Caesars TR Diamond, Mlife Gold
But J with Copa does get you their lounge access.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 8:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by gkbiiii
But J with Copa does get you their lounge access.
Copa Club falls just a little short of Polaris lounge
Old Dec 13, 2018, 12:13 am

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Originally Posted by Kacee
Copa Club falls just a little short of Polaris lounge United Club
fixed..
Old Dec 13, 2018, 3:51 pm

Does anyone know if I will get access to the Polaris lounge for my upcoming flight SFO-Panam-Lima? Since they added Peru to the list, do they base on the final destination or first flight?
Old Dec 13, 2018, 7:52 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Amy Han
Does anyone know if I will get access to the Polaris lounge for my upcoming flight SFO-Panam-Lima? Since they added Peru to the list, do they base on the final destination or first flight?
No access. It's based on your SFO-departing flight (SFO-PTY).
Old Dec 15, 2018, 2:40 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
I flew on this plane 4 times on their SFO route in a the last week. 3x upgraded to business, sitting in 1E (aisle), 3A & 4F. Some observations:

Firstly, this is clearly a far superior business product vs any of their other business products
I am normally a window person, so I might be biased here, but I felt that a window is much better than an aisle
I felt slightly “uncomfortable” in the aisle seat as they are slightly angled into the aisle (your outside shoulder & face is closer to the aisle than your feet are). When a trolley, or person with a bag, was moving towards me, I felt that there was a good chance of them hitting my left shoulder - more so than on most planes, simply due to the angle. While I didn’t get hit, I could definitely see someone not liking the aisle seat on this plane
Similar to the above, you feel like you are a lot more open in the aisle seat vs the window
At the window, you have a lot more seat space, and since the window armrest is retractable, this means that your lie flat bed is now a lot wider. While the armrest in the aisle seat also retracts, you do not really have that much more space, as you would be in the aisle
Window seats have a lot more stowage space than the aisle

The footwell in the aisle seats seems to be larger/wider than at the windows (there is more of the cushion/bench at the aisle). However, since the window seat footwell wall is the wall of the plane, overall it might not be too much different
The footwell depth in 1A & 1B is tiny compared to that of 1E & 1F - due to the position of the bulk head. Unsure how this affects at full lie flat, but if the seats themselves are the same size (presumably they are), then a taller person would def want 1E/1F over 1A/1B
My shoe size is 10 UK (11 US) so I had ample room in the footwells
I am 5'9 so again had no issues when the seat was lie flat. I am guessing that people around 6'3 would begin to be touching both ends

They do not prioritize meals by status, so if you are in row 4, especially 4E/4F then good luck to you – already brought this up to management
However row 4 has a huge benefit, as no one is sitting behind you, which means that no ones feet are underneath your seat. On one of the flights, the guy in 4A’s feet/socks absolutely stank, so I could smell that for some of the journey. He also seemed to like kicking the footwell quite a bit too, so I felt that each time – he slept for majority of the flight, so might have been doing this in his sleep

There is no neck protector for the shoulder seat belt, so it can feel a bit uncomfortable against your neck - I have already suggested to their management that they get some
You will need to climb over the aisle person if they are sleeping and you want to get out, however most people should have no issues with this and it is a lot easier than on United’s 777 business class product
There is a lot of space to get out if the person is not reclined fully

The way that the table comes out of the seat is both slick and easy to take out & put away
There is a magazine/safety card holder attached to the middle armrest on all seats. In 1E I really felt this, and since some of it was metal, it felt pretty sharp. I ended up wrapping the sick bag around it, and it caused no further issues. I didn’t notice it at all in 3A/4F
Amenity kit is much improved for this plane, and includes a premium eye mask
Pillow is fantastic
Blanket is nice and there is no mattress pad

Cliffs:

Get on this plane if you have the option
Window > Aisle
If you care about your meal choice then sit closer to the front
If you just want to sleep then row 4 is for you
Taller people want 1E/1F over 1A/1B

Last edited by pmarrsouth; Dec 15, 2018 at 2:46 pm
Old Dec 15, 2018, 8:55 pm

If you've flown up front on UA's 752 or DL's 75S, you've flown this seat (B/E Diamond) in this configuration. AA uses the same seat in its 321 business class as well, but that's a slightly wider cabin.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 3:52 am

In Copa's announcement back in September regarding the new planes they said that the Max 9 was supposed to start flying from Boston in December but has anyone flown from Boston recently and been on the Max 9? I'm guessing they haven't actually implemented it yet but was hopeful.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.