Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2018 changes

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2017, 4:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, SAS Eurobonus Silver, Connect Miles Gold, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Disc.
2018 changes

Just received an email from Copa Airlines concerning changes to ConnectMiles:

• Expanding Availability for Upgrade Certificates: Global and Regional Upgrade Certificates issued to Platinum and Presidential Platinum PreferMembers will be valid in all fare classes on flights operated by Copa Airlines.

• Modifying Mileage Accrual: The accrual rate will be adjusted depending upon the family fare purchased.

• Modifying Baggage Allowance for Silver PreferMembers: The baggage allowance policy for Silver PreferMembers will be updated to allow 2 free checked bags of 50 lbs. (23 kg) each.

• Changing the Complimentary Upgrade Policy: On many flights, Gold, Platinum and Presidential Platinum PreferMembers will have more availability to complimentary upgrades when purchasing last minute tickets. Silver PreferMembers will receive upgrades on the day of departure based on availability.

• Changing Upgrade Rules on Economy Promo: All members regardless of PreferMember status, holding tickets issued in Economy Promo classes will receive complimentary upgrades subject to availability, only on the day of departure.

So definitely we will see accruals on the cheaper Y family tickets decrease. Hopefully they keep it to promo, but I'd fear they include the flex family too, which is the one I usually travel one.
The rest are minor changes I'd say. How many actually ever find Y promo tickets anyway?
Old Apr 20, 2017, 6:30 am

Programs: UA
I'm confused by the second point. What is a "Family Fare"? I've never seen one, even when booking my family.

If one reads the more detailed info on the website, the table shows that Economy Promo fares will accrue only 50% miles (award and qualifying), though the description above the table again mentions "Family Fare".

The last point could be a bit of a hit to my travels.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 7:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, SAS Eurobonus Silver, Connect Miles Gold, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Disc.
Originally Posted by YadiMolina
I'm confused by the second point. What is a "Family Fare"? I've never seen one, even when booking my family.

If one reads the more detailed info on the website, the table shows that Economy Promo fares will accrue only 50% miles (award and qualifying), though the description above the table again mentions "Family Fare".

The last point could be a bit of a hit to my travels.
"Family fare" has nothing to do with family travelling. It's the word used to describe "groups" of boking codes. On Copa it is Economy Promo, Economy Extra, Economy Flex and so on, each being a "family".

I rarely fly on Economy Promo fares (they seem very hard to find), and my qualification is usually segment based more than mileage based, so it really won't change much for me. But it's worrying that we already see steps towards "deluting" the program.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 8:26 am

Programs: LATAMPASS, Copa ConnectMiles Gold
Soon as I saw the email in my inbox, I just knew they would be "enhancing" the program, more along the lines of the competition.

Actually, these changes are the clincher for me -- not going to shoot for ConnectMiles requalification this year. Back to the more logical thing -- just go with the best deal out there, regardless of airline. And tack on Priority Pass for lounge access.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 4:38 pm

Not great for a silver member. I redeem too many miles for higher. My upgrades were never done until just before boarding in the past anyways.

Put I did like not being hassled about being over 50 pounds a bag. I would much prefer an average per bag not an upper limit.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 5:40 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
So sigh with the new changes. Silver from CC should be upgraded day of, leave the rest alone. Too bad they are falling in line with others wrt Promo Fare accrual.

Flying KLM to europe this summer, first time not using a *A airline since 2013 for "major" travel
Old Apr 20, 2017, 5:43 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by Milkman
"Family fare" has nothing to do with family travelling. It's the word used to describe "groups" of boking codes. On Copa it is Economy Promo, Economy Extra, Economy Flex and so on, each being a "family".
Well, don't I feel like a dolt. I suspected something like that. Of course, if the text read "family of fares" I would have understood better.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 12:11 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
To be honest, when I got this email, I had a hard time figuring out the downsides. I'm a connectmiles member, but only recently have I accrued any miles there, and that was more just cuz I didn't wanna send AM miles to my AS account.

The only upgrades I've ever had on Copa were the auction ones, I don't fly them that often, but it did seem like a nice change to be able to go from a promo fare to biz, so that one seemed good to me, if I were to attain status (might hit silver, but doubt I'd ever get any higher).

This one stings, I loved to 100% mileage on the cheapo fares. I wonder if Aeroplan will drop their earnings, IIRC they are still 100% across the board with CM fares.

I've checked 3 bags once in my life. One of them was just a big piece of artwork I was taking to my second home. Never had a bag over 50lbs, hell, I doubt I've ever had a bag over 35lbs. This doesn't affect me at all. Plus not knowing that the limit was 70 before, I actually thought this was an upgrade from 1 bag to 2 lol.

I didn't really know what to make of this one, the upgrades at CM and AV have always confused me a bit.

Loved the addition of upgrades from the lower fare buckets. Seemed like a good change.

For me, none of these changes really sting except the mileage earning.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 1:25 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
wut?

its all downsides, unless you are travelling on company's dime the whole time. you have always been entitled for a comp upgrade on any fare (promo, extra, flex). when you got upgraded was determined solely by your connectmiles status. myself and the gf flew to MCO several times a year, and never missed an upgrade (me at T-48 and her at T-24) - we were always on promo fares as we got them so far out

day of upgrades (presuming at the gate, at about T-1, but no clarifaction of this) for elites on promo fares is harsh imo. day of upgrades for silvers for anyfare is also harsh imo - if it was for CC silver holders then im good with it, but not for people who earned silver through flying

hugely disappointing email for me overall
Old Apr 22, 2017, 9:47 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Program isn't even two years old and there's already a major devaluation.

Quitting Copa for good after this year. No point renewing Gold with these guys.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 10:47 am

At the end of last year, my wife did a mileage run to get up to Silver for this year and it has worked out great, 2 upgrades for her, and one for our son when they flew together.... With this change, there is no way she would do that again. It basically means Silvers have to get on the list at check-in behind last minute Golds and any Gold companions and upgrade bidders... Far less chance of upgrade, and that is the only reason we have been loyal to Copa.

Since I usually book only a couple weeks in advance I never really get the Promo fares, so that part doesn't affect me. But lately Copa's fares have been very high... to the point that it cost almost the same for me to book Business/First with United as it does to book Coach on Copa. Might be time to rethink where I'm earning miles.... especially since we are moving back to California this summer. I should probably just start earning on United Mileage Plus... Bummer since I just flew UA and earned CM miles...
Old Apr 28, 2017, 12:55 pm

Programs: AA
"Program changes apply to all tickets issued as of May 1, 2017 with flight departure date in 2018."

So these changes take effect Jan. 1? But for any 2018 flights issued before May 1, then the old guidelines apply? Or any flight purchased after May 1 for 2018 qualification?

This line is a little confusing
Old Oct 5, 2018, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by Milkman

• Changing Upgrade Rules on Economy Promo: All members regardless of PreferMember status, holding tickets issued in Economy Promo classes will receive complimentary upgrades subject to availability, only on the day of departure.
They appear to have gotten rid of this now! I, to my surprise, received my upgrade for FLL-PTY on Sunday, this morning. They had split the PNR by themselves. I had not bothered to split it as I did not realize that the above had gone

Nothing about fare family/class restrictions listed on their upgrade page now: https://connectmiles.copaair.com/en/...ntary-upgrades

Wonder how long it’s been like this for

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.