Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Copa | ConnectMiles
Reload this Page >

ConnectMiles vs MileagePlus for COPA trip?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2016, 4:40 pm
Original Poster

Currently silver on UA, managed to get the match on COPA.

Flying IAD-PTY-LIM (and return) on COPA, but would like to get the credit on MileagePlus so I put that as my FF #.

Other than not being able to see my reservation on either airline's site (without a manual lookup) - is there any other downside to accruing on UA? Will I potentially get any ConnectMiles silver benefits? Or will it just view me as a MileagePlus StarAlliance silver?

Thanks for any help, sorry just a bit confused about how the two overlap!
Old Mar 3, 2016, 11:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by adams828
Flying IAD-PTY-LIM (and return) on COPA, but would like to get the credit on MileagePlus so I put that as my FF #.

Other than not being able to see my reservation on either airline's site (without a manual lookup) - is there any other downside to accruing on UA?
You will not get any ConnectMiles benefits. Including, particularly, upgrades.
Old Mar 4, 2016, 4:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kacee
You will not get any ConnectMiles benefits. Including, particularly, upgrades.
Figured as much, but need the miles on UA. Thanks!
Old Mar 4, 2016, 11:34 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Figured as much, but need the miles on UA. Thanks!
I believe people have had some success using CM number to get the upgrade, then switching to UA number for accrual to MileagePlus.
Old Mar 6, 2016, 10:26 am
Original Poster

I believe people have had some success using CM number to get the upgrade, then switching to UA number for accrual to MileagePlus.
Oh wow. Do you know when you switch over from CM to UA? Would it be at the airport with an agent? Or after the flight with customer service?
Old Mar 6, 2016, 3:06 pm

Oh wow. Do you know when you switch over from CM to UA? Would it be at the airport with an agent? Or after the flight with customer service?
You would have to do it before the flight. Either by phone or in the lounge. There's no guaranty of success.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 9:49 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Currently silver on UA, managed to get the match on COPA.

Other than not being able to see my reservation on either airline's site (without a manual lookup) - is there any other downside to accruing on UA? Will I potentially get any ConnectMiles silver benefits? Or will it just view me as a MileagePlus StarAlliance silver?

Thanks for any help, sorry just a bit confused about how the two overlap!
I was granted both (no idea why) Platinum and Super Duper Presidential Platinum at roll out. Since they were unable to ever send out a real membership card, enrollment materials, luggage tags, whatever, for the uppermost levels I elected to not be a guinea pig on a program they run. The web site running at one page change per hour did not instill confidence either.

Great airline, price and on time record but that new do it yourself program is weak.

And I only fly paid J on Copa anyway so I doubt there are benefits to go after.

They need to up their game or contract out the program to someone who's an expert.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 6:44 am
Original Poster

You would have to do it before the flight. Either by phone or in the lounge. There's no guaranty of success.
Got it, thanks Kacee!
Old Mar 11, 2016, 7:08 am

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
COPA has way better earning rates (100% on all fares) than most of UA's economy buckets. Their mileage chart is also quite similar.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by keitherson
COPA has way better earning rates (100% on all fares) than most of UA's economy buckets. Their mileage chart is also quite similar.
CM does not offer online redemptions. And cs that is often not acceptable by US standards (though we could say the same about UA sometimes, too )

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.