Wiki Posts
Search

Copa IAD-PTY-GRU 7hrs layover

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2013, 12:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM

I have a 7hrs layover in PTY on my way from IAD to GRU. Will I have to claim my checked luggage and check on again?
I'm planning on checking out the city if I don't have to claim my checked luggage.

Thanks!
Old May 23, 2013, 3:09 pm

Programs: LATAMPASS, Copa ConnectMiles Gold
Your bags should be checked through. I've purposely scheduled some long layovers at PTY (10 hours) to go into the city and do some things before continuing on my trip. Never had any problems - it's a well-organized airport for connecting flights.
Old May 24, 2013, 4:35 am

I, too, had a 5 hour layover a few weeks ago and went to the canal via taxi. 45 mins to an hour to get to canal (mira flora locks) around 2pm on a Thursday 45 mins at canal - perfectly timed as ship just stayed passing through - then 1hr 30min can back to PTY where security / customs took 15 mins total. Luggage checked all the way through to final destination.

Originally Posted by DarrenChannel
Your bags should be checked through. I've purposely scheduled some long layovers at PTY (10 hours) to go into the city and do some things before continuing on my trip. Never had any problems - it's a well-organized airport for connecting flights.
Old May 24, 2013, 6:31 am
Original Poster

Do you recommend the Mira flora locks? Is there some sort of museum or visitor center for the canal?
Old May 24, 2013, 6:43 am

Programs: AA-PLT, HH-GLD, PP
Originally Posted by Corganbr
Do you recommend the Mira flora locks? Is there some sort of museum or visitor center for the canal?
Yes, they have a visitors' center with exhibits, tours, etc. If you have 7 hours to kill, it's not a bad way to do it.
Old May 24, 2013, 7:02 am
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

It's been a few years but if I recall, there is a snack bar and a nice area to sit down at the Miraflores Locks too.
Old May 24, 2013, 7:12 am
Original Poster

Cool, thx!
Old May 24, 2013, 11:26 am

Programs: LATAMPASS, Copa ConnectMiles Gold
Aside from the snack bar, they also have a sit-down restaurant (with canal views) at the Visitor Center, though I haven't tried it out. Either way, I think a visit to the Miraflores locks is worth it. Enjoy!
Old May 24, 2013, 4:23 pm

It is a four storey building with observation decks on all of them, I think. We went straight to the fourth level as a ship was passing, but it was crowded (2 people deep) so ran downstairs to level 3 and there were maybe 5 people watching from there with pretty much the same view. Paid about $7 to get in - a few dollars more gets you into museum. IIRC, there is a snack bar on floor 4, buffet restaurant on floor 2 and another snack bar on floor 1. I would recommend it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.