Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

How about a free drink for elites in Y in lieu of drink coupons?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How about a free drink for elites in Y in lieu of drink coupons?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2009, 6:41 am

Programs: UA 1K; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Tummy
I don't drink so there would be no benefit for me. I don't understand why people need to have alcohol on flights all the time. Do they drink constantly at home?
Regarding others' suggestion for free TV: I don't watch TV so there would be no benefit for me. I don't understand why people need to have television on flights all the time. Do they watch television constantly at home?

Maybe we shouldn't criticize each others' flight habits.

Seriously now: Living in a city with only one mainline CO flight a day, there simply aren't upgrades (except on NW, for a few more days). Sure, seat 12A on the ERJ145 is OK, but no drinks. A couple of times an FA has said 'don't worry about it' when I offered a certificate (I'm CO*, so maybe that's why)... but basically no drinks for me, and I'm at 150,000+ miles/year. So, yes, I'd be very happy with Plat drinks in coach (or even more certificates)!
Old Sep 13, 2009, 10:03 am
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Originally Posted by Scott6067
Do you have a lifetime card? Either way, next time in the PC ask an attendant to sign up for a replacement card for you. Also make sure you didnt do something crazy like I did and put it in my magnetic money clip. OPPS!!!
Yup, it's a lifetime card. I'll ask when I go through a PC again.

Originally Posted by Renard
I've been denied a full can of diet coke on a CO int flight back (LGW-IAH) when I was a plat...so I'd be surprised if they start giving elites a free drink to elites in Y internationally.
That's just crazy! I always ask for a can of Diet Coke & haven't been denied yet. What's a can cost an airline... maybe 20 cents? So they're going to deny you the 10 cents left in the can after they pour you a cup? And when there's a second drink service, I'm still drinking from that first can, so they don't have to give me any in round 2.
Old Sep 13, 2009, 10:32 am
Suspended

Programs: Continental Gold Elite, United Premier Executive
Personally, I'd prefer for CO, in conjunction with its JV partners, to introduce complimentary alcoholic beverages on TATL, TPAC, and Deep South America flights ala Delta.
Old Sep 13, 2009, 8:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
That's just crazy! I always ask for a can of Diet Coke & haven't been denied yet. What's a can cost an airline... maybe 20 cents? So they're going to deny you the 10 cents left in the can after they pour you a cup? And when there's a second drink service, I'm still drinking from that first can, so they don't have to give me any in round 2.
She claimed she couldn't spare a full can. Sounds like a catering issue to me? She was FULL of 'Tude after I dared question here when she turned me down and one of the surliest I've ever run into.
Old Sep 14, 2009, 6:39 am

Originally Posted by jurisprude
Maybe we shouldn't criticize each others' flight habits.
I'll criticize whoever and whatever I want. Maybe you shouldn't read my criticism.

I actually do bring my own entertainment.
Old Sep 14, 2009, 7:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
+1
I've never been denied a full can in Y, and I've often asked for and received a full can in F so I didn't keep bugging the FA for refills.

I *have* been denied a full can on US and DL - and especially on US, received a full cup of ice with literally a splash of soda on top, and received plenty of 'tude when I complained.
Old Sep 14, 2009, 12:10 pm

Programs: AS 75K, AS 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Gold Plus
AS does it

I'm Gold on Alaska as well as CO. When I'm in the back, they always come to the Golds, greet them by name, and offer a free drink on the house. This is corp policy towards.
I rarely take the drink (especially on my morning flights) but it is very much appreciated.
Old Sep 14, 2009, 5:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Avis President; Marriott Platinum
I prefer the coupon so I can give it to military personnel in uniform, they seem to appreciate it.
Old Sep 14, 2009, 5:25 pm
Formerly known as I_Hate_US_Airways

Programs: My Loyalty Programs? I now VOTE with my wallet!!!
Wink

AS does something simliar for the Gold members who get stuck in streeage...it's called "the first drinks on us". It's a nice touch. On QX flights its comp wine & beer.

To the second poster on this thread who doesn't drink...I am reminded of the famous words of Dean Martin who once said "I feel sorry for poeple that don't drink because when they wake up in the morning that's the best they're going feel for the rest of the day" (-;

Elite Status Is Not A Matter of Life Or Death, it’s Much More Important Than That!
Old Sep 15, 2009, 12:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by I_Hate_US_Airways
Originally Posted by bzman
I'm Gold on Alaska as well as CO. When I'm in the back, they always come to the Golds, greet them by name, and offer a free drink on the house. This is corp policy towards.
I rarely take the drink (especially on my morning flights) but it is very much appreciated.
AS does something simliar for the Gold members who get stuck in streeage...it's called "the first drinks on us". It's a nice touch. On QX flights its comp wine & beer.

To the second poster on this thread who doesn't drink...I am reminded of the famous words of Dean Martin who once said "I feel sorry for poeple that don't drink because when they wake up in the morning that's the best they're going feel for the rest of the day" (-;

Elite Status Is Not A Matter of Life Or Death, it’s Much More Important Than That!
OK... I'm thirding this statement @ AS... Its actually a nice policy for when we don't clear the F cabin... and the F/A's use the manifest to verify our status and "First One's on us" eligibility...

And for those who don't partake in adult beverages, AS also serves Red Bull, and Red Bull Sugar Free, and these are included in the program as well... (Although having extra paper certs could be nice if its a longer flight )
Old Sep 15, 2009, 3:30 am

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
I'd hate to be the FA's in Y on the many flights with 30+ non-upgraded Elites who comprise 20% of Y. Complicate it with seat swapping, etc and it'll only get worse when business air travel picks up.
Old Sep 15, 2009, 3:43 am

Programs: UA 1K, Priority Club Plat
This thread has been fun, my favorite being:
"I don't understand why people need to have alcohol on flights?"
and the answer is
"In case we are sitting by you!"
Old Sep 15, 2009, 5:33 am

Programs: UA 1MM (former 1K, Delta Platinum))
The basic problem with this idea is that it introduces a distinction in coach, between the people who "really belong there" and those who don't (non-upgraded elites). Turn this around, on flights for which you're upgraded: How about a train-ticket sticker above the seat of everyone who doesn't "really" belong in first, along with a service distinction.

It wouldn't fly.
Old Sep 15, 2009, 6:29 am

Originally Posted by Syzygies
The basic problem with this idea is that it introduces a distinction in coach, between the people who "really belong there" and those who don't (non-upgraded elites). Turn this around, on flights for which you're upgraded: How about a train-ticket sticker above the seat of everyone who doesn't "really" belong in first, along with a service distinction.

It wouldn't fly.
I am not sure if it will fly or not on CO but it seems to work just fine on AA. This weekend, as an EXP, I received free drinks on both AE and on the mainline flight where I did not get the upgrade. Nobody seemed to care.
Old Sep 15, 2009, 6:35 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat, Marriott Silver, CO Platinum, Hertz Gold, National Emerald
Even if you don't drink, whats the harm in offering one to PLT PAX for those who do. Although, I think the better bang for ALL PLT buck would be free DirecTV on those planes which have it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.