Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

How about a free drink for elites in Y in lieu of drink coupons?

Old Sep 11, 09, 7:31 am
Moderator: United MileagePlus
Original Poster

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past. (IAH, DEN, YKF)
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)

...or drinks

Earlier this week on an international AA flight when the drink cart made it to my row the FA cheerfully informed me that EXPs (AA's top tier) get one drink "on the house" when flying Y internationally. She also went on to say that the policy has also been rolled out for domestic flights as well as for express flights where Plats (AA's mid tier), in addition to EXPs, were also comped a drink.

With CO rolling out the onboard credit card machines, and in an effort to go green by not wasting all that paper on drink certs , I was wondering what folks thought about CO comping a drink to elites, or at least golds and plats, when flying in Y by having the FA verify your status by swiping your card on the credit card machine.

Seems like a win-win assuming the IT changes required to verify status don't break the bank. Plus nothing helps an elite get over that missed upgrade more than a cool, refreshing spirit.
Old Sep 11, 09, 8:32 am

I don't drink so there would be no benefit for me. I don't understand why people need to have alcohol on flights all the time. Do they drink constantly at home?
Old Sep 11, 09, 8:37 am
ecq

I think for some people they get nervous on flights so alcohol calms the nerves down. I knew someone who took a tylenol night so she would sleep on the flight and not be so worried
Old Sep 11, 09, 8:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tummy View Post
I don't drink so there would be no benefit for me. I don't understand why people need to have alcohol on flights all the time. Do they drink constantly at home?
Use is not mandatory

The benefit would be that CO would no longer have to issue and account for drink certs. Plus for those who do enjoy a drink on the plane, such as yours truly, it would be a nice gesture that would engender loyalty.
Old Sep 11, 09, 8:41 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Priority Pass
I don't drink
I don't understand why...
That answers that one!
Old Sep 11, 09, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO Platinum 1K, United 1K, SPG LT Platinum, National Executive Elite, Platinum TSA Hater
+1

I can't figure out people's fascination with alcohol and alcoholic products.

Just give me a Diet Sprite or my Club Soda with a splash of cranberry and I'm good.
Old Sep 11, 09, 9:03 am

Is MADD being represented here on FT?
Old Sep 11, 09, 9:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bocastephen View Post
Just give me a Diet Sprite or my Club Soda with a splash of cranberry and I'm good.
And no one is saying you can't have that.

This is not a thread about "my drinking habits in Y." @:-)

This is a thread about how best to deliver an existing elite benefit with CO moving to a cashless cabin as well as in consideration of what their industry peers are doing.
Old Sep 11, 09, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO Platinum 1K, United 1K, SPG LT Platinum, National Executive Elite, Platinum TSA Hater
Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
And no one is saying you can't have that.

This is not a thread about "my drinking habits in Y." @:-)

This is a thread about how best to deliver an existing elite benefit with CO moving to a cashless cabin as well as in consideration of what their industry peers are doing.
If they offer a free drink in Y for Elites, I think we should be able to swipe our Elite cards and get free DirecTV too.
Old Sep 11, 09, 9:30 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA PPro- LT Gold, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
I think the coupon system for Elites works fine now. I have a stack of 40.

Only use them on International flights. I guess CO could do this electronically, and credit you with so many electronic coupons per year, but that would require the device to be linked at start of flight (just before doors close) to download database of current passengers and their credits.

I doubt this would work.

I guess they could swipe your onepass card - and they know you are still elite since you are on the flight list. Then subtract the used credits after the flight arrives. There is a risk that you over drink and your credits go negative - but then that comes out of future credits. Or they could charge you at the end of the flight (credit card on file) when you exceed your credits.

I guess they could also show you the number of credits you have on your boarding pass.
Old Sep 11, 09, 9:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The down side of one free per elite is that we'd no longer be able to horde the certs from elite kits and from those who do not drink. Yes, I've managed to misplace some of my certs from time to time but I always manage to find them eventually. And things like the PHL-IAH party flight for DO IV were aided through the generosity of many other FTers with stacks to share (and it has been paid forward many times).

I see positives and negatives in it.
Old Sep 11, 09, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kommissar Giga-Posting Direktor, PWP; Fasano Nouveau Aristocrat; CO Platinum; BD Gold; MR Gold
Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
...or drinks

Earlier this week on an international AA flight when the drink cart made it to my row the FA cheerfully informed me that EXPs (AA's top tier) get one drink "on the house" when flying Y internationally. She also went on to say that the policy has also been rolled out for domestic flights as well as for express flights where Plats (AA's mid tier), in addition to EXPs, were also comped a drink.

With CO rolling out the onboard credit card machines, and in an effort to go green by not wasting all that paper on drink certs , I was wondering what folks thought about CO comping a drink to elites, or at least golds and plats, when flying in Y by having the FA verify your status by swiping your card on the credit card machine.

Seems like a win-win assuming the IT changes required to verify status don't break the bank. Plus nothing helps an elite get over that missed upgrade more than a cool, refreshing spirit.
The real question is what were you doing in coach?
Old Sep 11, 09, 10:03 am

I was on a NWA flight recently (within the last 6-8 months or so) from Minneapolis (MSP) to Los Angeles (LAX) sitting in economy. After the beverage service in First, the flight attendant came back to my row and asked me specifically, by name, if I wanted something to drink. After smiling and letting her know that I'd love a glass of red wine, she said that she needed to visit with two other Platinums behind me, and she would then be back with my drink. When I then tried to pay, she said that it was on the house, and she apologized that there was no room for me to sit up front.

I don't know if this was standard practice or not, but I thought that it was a very nice touch. I'll remember this gesture, and have a nice story to tell.
Old Sep 11, 09, 10:15 am

Programs: AA, CO Plat, SPG Gold
If they offer a free drink in Y for Elites, I think we should be able to swipe our Elite cards and get free DirecTV too.
+1

Just show your elite card and then let the FA swipe a special card to activate your DTV.
Old Sep 11, 09, 10:25 am

+1

I can't figure out people's fascination with alcohol and alcoholic products.

Anybody who knows me, knows my favorite beverage, Diet Coke, I almost mainline the stuff.

However, I do like the idea of offering a free adult beverage to PLT Elite members as a gesture, it does not mean that I have to take advantage of the offer, but merely offering it is a way of showing that the airline appreciates me.

I also see the argument for the drink certs, honestly, either system would be more than fine by me.

Dan

Search this Thread
Search Engine: