Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Rumor] CO To Sell FC Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2009, 11:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Mary2e
I think we are witnessing the demise of free upgrades.
I don't think it's that dramatic or bad. What we're witnessing is a potentially poorly executed paid-upgrade program, coupled with the post of one FF's very bad experience on a recent flight.

I highly doubt there is anything deliberate going on to change how upgrades are processed - I've said it many times, with DL/NW retaining free unlimited upgrades and AA offering both free unlimited domestic upgrades AND 8!! SWUs to every one of its top-tier members, it would be foolish suicide for CO to drop or substantially alter their upgrade program unless there is a strategy in place to shrink the airline's ops way down and focus on specific markets like IAH, CLE and NJ.

I don't even see them following the UA model with 500m certs, regionals and SWUs - but I do see the possibility of raising Plat to 100K, adding SWUs (maybe not valid for QWESTL fares, who knows) and keeping free unlimited for Plats only and perhaps a cert system for Golds and Silvers - basically working with UA to compromise and match the AA program.

In any event, it's the weekend and I doubt we're going to see Scott on here commenting anytime soon, since I'm sure he will be researching both issues raised today - probably commenting on this thread, but certainly not commenting on the other.
Old May 1, 2009, 8:31 am

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, Marriott Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond
Sorry if this has been discussed, but I'm a little out of the CO loop these days. Are they also offering confirmed F upgrades during OLCI? I got something today about being able to confirm F for $50 (not stand-by). It considered it a buy-up from my fare to the F fare, but was still just $50 (EWR-BOS).
Old May 27, 2009, 12:36 pm

Programs: CO Plat
This just came across the CO RSS feed:

http://www.continental.com/web/en-US/apps/onepass/promotions/registrationDetails.aspx?sender=TECH&camp=rss_oppr omo&campyear=2009&Language=en-US&promoCode=A7315

Day of Departure Upgrades

Ongoing Offer
Posted Wed., May. 27, 2009

Now you can purchase an upgrade to First Class on the day you are traveling. Upgrades fees will range from $50 to $250 based on the length of your flight.

The Day-of-Departure Upgrade fee is based on the length of flight for each segment:
Flight Miles (per segment) Upgrade Fee
0 — 299; $25
300 — 999; $75
1,000 — 1,799; $100
1,800 — 2,399; $125
2,400 — 3,499; $175
3,500 and over; not available
Old Jun 4, 2009, 12:57 pm

Any timing when they will expand this program to include online check-in
Old Jun 4, 2009, 1:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Silver, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by fsls40
Any timing when they will expand this program to include online check-in
It's always been available via online check-in.
Old Dec 19, 2010, 7:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1.7 Million Miler, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by sbm12
If they are only available after all eligible elites and everyone else on the battlefield list has been accommodated then no big deal (and probably very little revenue as there aren't too many flights with F demand that are going out with empties, I'd guess). If they are selling upgrades rather than seating elites then things could get ugly in a hurry.
Funny how you change your tune after you try to get a job with Continental. Yes, these are your own words back in Feb. 2009 when this was first announced.
Old Dec 19, 2010, 7:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Reptile
Funny how you change your tune after you try to get a job with Continental.
I AM NOT TRYING TO GET A JOB AT CONTINENTAL.

How many times are you people going to keep saying things that are 100% completely and totally false in an effort to malign me?

But great job bringing up a thread that has been dead for 16 months and which doesn't actually address the situation as it operates. That's some quality work there.
Old Dec 19, 2010, 7:43 pm

Enough of this nonsense. Stick to Continental, not rants against individual members.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.