[Rumor] CO To Sell FC Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2009, 7:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Silver, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver
[Rumor] CO To Sell FC Upgrades

Link

CO to sell some First Class upgrades
CO will offer non-Elite customers the option to buy First Class upgrades on the day of departure beginning Tuesday, Feb. 3 on flights within North and South America (except to and from Hawaii, Argentina and Brazil) and within Asia and the Pacific (except for nonstop flights between Honolulu and Guam).
The change is being made to generate additional revenue for CO, and the company expects to earn $5 million to $10 million per year as a result of the new policy. Currently, all of CO’s major U.S. network competitors offer a similar program.
Old Feb 2, 2009, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UALCO Holdings General Member
Interesting first Buying upgrades ,
I wonder If next will be SWUs , eVips, 500 Milers and CR-1s @:-)
Old Feb 2, 2009, 7:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If they are only available after all eligible elites and everyone else on the battlefield list has been accommodated then no big deal (and probably very little revenue as there aren't too many flights with F demand that are going out with empties, I'd guess). If they are selling upgrades rather than seating elites then things could get ugly in a hurry.

Then again, if the policy really is supposed to go into effect starting tomorrow I'd think that the rumors would have started earlier. After all, there are a LOT of GAs to train on the system and someone would have spilled the beans earlier than this.
Old Feb 2, 2009, 7:45 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
If true, I hope mechanisms will be put in place to prevent GAs from upgrading buy-ups ahead of Elites a la US and DL.
Old Feb 2, 2009, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, AA, B6, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG, SPG
Originally Posted by sbm12
Then again, if the policy really is supposed to go into effect starting tomorrow I'd think that the rumors would have started earlier. After all, there are a LOT of GAs to train on the system and someone would have spilled the beans earlier than this.
It could explain why the EUA's for many posters DO flights haven't cleared, beyond the usual expectation of CO trying selling the seats to last minute people.
Old Feb 2, 2009, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fabulous on one of the US carriers..
So what is the $ buy up and mechanism?
Old Feb 2, 2009, 8:08 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
One would think (not a usual management thing) that if it were going into effect tomorrow that there would be some advertising or promotion. Maybe it'll just be a Kiosk or OLCI option?

I'll look & listen around EWR tomorrow morning?
Old Feb 2, 2009, 8:08 pm

Programs: MileagePlus 1K, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by Olton Hall
It could explain why the EUA's for many posters DO flights haven't cleared, beyond the usual expectation of CO trying selling the seats to last minute people.
Could it be one of the announcements we will hear at the DO?
Old Feb 2, 2009, 8:09 pm

How about letting Elites buy-up too (i.e., jump to the head of the line with cash in hand)? A hated concept, I'm sure, on this board but a sure-fire money-maker.
Old Feb 2, 2009, 8:11 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by JetAway
How about letting Elites buy-up too (i.e., jump to the head of the line with cash in hand)? A hated concept, I'm sure, on this board but a sure-fire money-maker.
How about not doing that.
Old Feb 2, 2009, 8:14 pm

Programs: MileagePlus 1K, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Plat
Delete, delete, before CO gets too many ideas...
Old Feb 2, 2009, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
I would not object to SWUs. It would be better than the "co-pay" scam CO is running currently.
Old Feb 2, 2009, 8:15 pm

Programs: OnePass Ex-Platinum now dirtinum
Beside the fact that probably 70% of the flights out of CLE are on Continental, that "revenue plan" will lose this plat's loyalty.
There's always other airlines/airports. Ain't America great?
Old Feb 2, 2009, 8:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, UA Million Miler
The only idea worse than this one would be letting random passangers land the plane
Old Feb 2, 2009, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fabulous on one of the US carriers..
Originally Posted by BigPoppaCO
The only idea worse than this one would be letting random passangers land the plane
I greased a 752 on a simulator.. what's wrong with that??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.