Wiki Posts
Search

AF and French Caribbean: Domestic?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2008, 1:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: Former UA1K transitioning to WFBF mentality
AF and French Caribbean: Domestic?

AF runs 773s out of ORY to PTP, FDF,... Legally these are overseas (outre-mer) departments of France. Do these count as Domestic France for OP rewards in the same way that the Canary Islands are domestic Spain under OP?

And can we use OP miles to go AF ORY-PTP-MIA, for example? c

Thanks!
Old Dec 3, 2008, 1:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Why would you expect it when mainland to HI or AK require more miles than contiguous 48?

Last edited by rkkwan; Dec 3, 2008 at 3:51 pm
Old Dec 3, 2008, 8:51 am

Programs: Alas, the Gravy Train Hath Ended...just happy to be an OW Sapphire and a ST Ivory...whatever
I followed a thrwad over a.net that confirmed that, yes, ORY to the French Caribbean is a domestic flight as far as AF is concerned, and is treated as such in all but the service that you receive on the aiplane. BTW: ORY to PTP has a stop at LAX, so I'm unsure if the whole plane has to clear customs or if they just sit tight. The flight to Reunion is arguably the longest domestic flight in the word.
Old Dec 3, 2008, 12:52 pm

Programs: NZ , QF , MK
Originally Posted by theblakefish
I followed a thrwad over a.net that confirmed that, yes, ORY to the French Caribbean is a domestic flight as far as AF is concerned, and is treated as such in all but the service that you receive on the aiplane. BTW: ORY to PTP has a stop at LAX, so I'm unsure if the whole plane has to clear customs or if they just sit tight. The flight to Reunion is arguably the longest domestic flight in the word.
I think you meant CDG to PPT ( Papeete, French Polynesia) rather than PTP ( Pointe a Pitre , Guadeloupe ) - it would be very strange for a flight from Paris to the Caribbean to travel via the west coast of the US
Old Dec 3, 2008, 2:30 pm

I think the more curious question is how many miles are required to enjoy the AF island hopper out of MIA? AF has two A320s based in FDF that serve the Carribean Regional Network:

http://www.airfrance.us/common/image...araibes_en.pdf

Last edited by MBM3; Dec 3, 2008 at 2:48 pm
Old Dec 3, 2008, 2:40 pm

Programs: Alas, the Gravy Train Hath Ended...just happy to be an OW Sapphire and a ST Ivory...whatever
D-OH....true.
Old Dec 3, 2008, 3:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Former UA1K transitioning to WFBF mentality
For the curious, the Elite Desk priced a RT Saverpass Y ticket ORY-PTP (Guadeloupe, Caribbean) at 50000 miles. I was hoping for a loophole... No J on the 777 for the price of ORY-NCE!

Still, a fun way to get to MIA from Paris:

AF 620 ORY-PTP 12:00-15:20
AF 3952 PTP-MIA 16:20-20:05
Old Dec 3, 2008, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Diamond, B6 Mosaic, AS MPV Gold, UA Gold MM, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by rkkwan
Why would you expect it when mainland to HI or AK require more miles than contagious 48?
Actually, OnePass award flights to Alaska are treated no differently than award flights with the rest of the US, excluding Hawaii.

And I think you mean contiguous, not contagious.
Old Dec 3, 2008, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Originally Posted by ssullivan
Wahaha....
Old Dec 4, 2008, 1:46 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Vietnam Airlines Lotusmiles Platinum
Originally Posted by ssullivan
Actually, OnePass award flights to Alaska are treated no differently than award flights with the rest of the US, excluding Hawaii.

I think contagious 48 sounds a lot more accurate !^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.