Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Naughty frequent fliers - throwaway, point-beyond ticketing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Naughty frequent fliers - throwaway, point-beyond ticketing

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2008, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
I pulled a throwaway on a reward ticket once. I did not get caught.
Old Oct 13, 2008, 1:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by colpuck
I pulled a throwaway on a reward ticket once. I did not get caught.
It is not against the rules on a reward ticket, so there was nothing to get caught doing.
Old Oct 14, 2008, 7:51 pm

Programs: The standard ones.
Is the 'throwaway' restriction somewhere in the fare rules? I couldn't find the language.
Old Oct 14, 2008, 8:07 pm

Programs: UA1k;HH Gold;MR Gold
Originally Posted by outjet
Is the 'throwaway' restriction somewhere in the fare rules? I couldn't find the language.
its called "hidden city" and is in the COC
Old Oct 14, 2008, 8:20 pm

Programs: The standard ones.
Originally Posted by jan_az
its called "hidden city" and is in the COC
Does that cover if I want to travel on a One-Way from IAH - BUF, but it connects through EWR, and I get off and stay in EWR?
Old Oct 14, 2008, 8:56 pm

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Originally Posted by outjet
Does that cover if I want to travel on a One-Way from IAH - BUF, but it connects through EWR, and I get off and stay in EWR?
Yes.
Old Oct 14, 2008, 9:03 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold (1.8M), CO Silver (2011)
Amtrak Code Shares

Another example of beyond ticketing:

CO is offering PHL-EWR-PDX; PDX-EWR-PHL via Amtrak for significantly less than EWR-PDX, PDX-EWR (possibly to compete with SW's PHL-PDX service).

Does CO have anyway of knowing whether or not you actually ride the train from Philadelphia 30th Street Station to EWR? Would Amtrak care if you got on/off before 30th Street? Once the ticket has been collected Amtrak doesn't exactly check when you get off, beyond lifting the marker that they leave at your place.
Old Oct 14, 2008, 9:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by epo57
Does CO have anyway of knowing whether or not you actually ride the train from Philadelphia 30th Street Station to EWR?
Yes they do.
Old Oct 14, 2008, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SkyClub Lifer
Originally Posted by COPlatRocks
Anybody been busted for throwaway or point-beyond ticketing?
Back when I was a lowly silver, I had a situation on a partner airline (not saying who) where I was supposed to connect through a hub (not saying where), get to a destination (ditto), and then I was going to take a bus to another city (ditto). The opportunity came up to get on an earlier flight, and since I wanted to get to that final destination sooner, I paid to change to it, but then found out there was no earlier bus. D'oh!

Rather than sit around waiting for a bus, I booked a cheap one-way from the hub to an airport closer to my final destination, on a LCC. I told the agents at my origin that I only wanted my bag checked as far as the hub (this was back when I still checked bags!), picked it up there, checked in at the LCC, got to my final destination maybe 20 hours early.

Time went by and the miles didn't post. The flight I had taken to the hub was over 4,000 miles, and those miles were the difference between silver and gold, so I called around until they appeared... along with, to my surprise, miles for the connecting segment I hadn't taken!

That was a short segment and made no difference in the grand scheme of things, but I never claimed to have flown it, and never asked for the miles - they just appeared.
Old Oct 14, 2008, 11:24 pm

Programs: PWP Direktor of Homeland, CO Plat* 1MM,UA 1K,BD Gold,DL Gold,SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by DanTravels
Time went by and the miles didn't post. The flight I had taken to the hub was over 4,000 miles, and those miles were the difference between silver and gold, so I called around until they appeared... along with, to my surprise, miles for the connecting segment I hadn't taken!
Years ago this was easily possible, I had this happen once with CO and once with UA.

However, nowadays with boarding pass readers at the gate, reconciliation of the flight, it's much harder to get away with. All that mattered in the old days is that you checked-in.
Old Oct 15, 2008, 2:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SkyClub Lifer
Originally Posted by fozz
Years ago this was easily possible, I had this happen once with CO and once with UA.
Well, this was way back in late 2006.
Old Oct 15, 2008, 8:53 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Gold (Current Platinum), United Mileage Plus, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by epo57
Another example of beyond ticketing:

CO is offering PHL-EWR-PDX; PDX-EWR-PHL via Amtrak for significantly less than EWR-PDX, PDX-EWR (possibly to compete with SW's PHL-PDX service).

Does CO have anyway of knowing whether or not you actually ride the train from Philadelphia 30th Street Station to EWR? Would Amtrak care if you got on/off before 30th Street? Once the ticket has been collected Amtrak doesn't exactly check when you get off, beyond lifting the marker that they leave at your place.
This works the other way if EWR is your destination; you just pick up your bags, and then don't get on the train to PHL. (BTW, the code for the train station is ZFW.) Saved $100 this way on a OW fare from CMH last summer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.