Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Leaving CO Due to 2009 Changes? Where to and Why?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Leaving CO Due to 2009 Changes? Where to and Why?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2008, 11:29 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Hyatt Explorist, UA 1MM
Originally Posted by entropy
..charging elites 150 (GOLD ELITES!?!) to change a reward reservation when CO knows they have some of the worst standard availability in the business is obnoxious. That change is a much bigger deal to me than losing 25% RDM as xyzzy pointed out.
Complete agreement. Just a shameful slap in the face.

This multiple year PLT and SAT-based flyer is not happy with changes to OP program: No 500 mile minimum, stand-by fees, award ticket change fees.

100% of all my flying is leisure [ie. out of my own pocket]. I am currently booked to 50K with CO and will NOT be spending any additional funds toward PLT. My '09 lot [for better or worse] will be cast with UA and newly minted 1K status.
Old Sep 20, 2008, 7:12 am

While the changes are certainly a negative, they are chump change compared to what DL has done to its ff'ers. I dread the thought of DL hijacking my NW miles and will do my best to redeam them before that happens. In the current business and political climate, I suspect the lousy DL takeover of NW will be approved, and I have no interest in going back to DL where I was gold medallion up until the Rob Borden reign of terror at SkyMiles. While CO does not look quite as good as it once did, it still looks better than other options. Dropping LGW for crappy LHR is, of course, another negative.
Old Sep 22, 2008, 8:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
Has the elimination of the elimination of the 500 mile minimum for elites changed anyone's mind about moving on?

Not me...the reduction of the miles bonus to 25% was the deal-killer for me. I can no longer justify breaking up my trips among two carriers...
Old Sep 22, 2008, 8:37 pm

Programs: UA Premier Silver, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver
Well I was considering switching to AA but because of the 500 mile min staying in tact, I plan on staying with CO.
Old Sep 25, 2008, 8:30 pm

Programs: CO Platinum HH Diamond SWA Hertz Gold
The changes especially the reduction of the Platinum bonus from 125% to 100% certainly dilutes the advantage of Platinum over Gold. As a multi-year Platinum I've long gone out of my way to stay on CO metal, but this certainly reduces the incentive for staying on my favorite airlines metal and may increase my incentive to spend my funds on an alternative airline for status of multiple airlines instead insuring all my funds go to CO. Although i remain extremely loyal, I'm disappointed as I feel I'm being encouraged to spend my funds eleswhere. My CO miles are almost exclusively personal which increases the disappointment .
Old Sep 25, 2008, 9:00 pm

I am shifting to AA - miles accrual is the same (100% bonus), but I like the free STBY, better availability or mileage redemption, lounge access on international flights as a llifetime PLAT (2 million miles from every source vs 4 million BIS with CO), $350 upgrade fees from the lowest fares on AA vs. $350 to $500 on CO. I used to buy H fares for my Europe flights and use miles to upgrade, but it is not worth it anymore.
Old Sep 25, 2008, 9:11 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by sntraveler
The changes especially the reduction of the Platinum bonus from 125% to 100% certainly dilutes the advantage of Platinum over Gold. As a multi-year Platinum I've long gone out of my way to stay on CO metal, but this certainly reduces the incentive for staying on my favorite airlines metal and may increase my incentive to spend my funds on an alternative airline for status of multiple airlines instead insuring all my funds go to CO. Although i remain extremely loyal, I'm disappointed as I feel I'm being encouraged to spend my funds eleswhere. My CO miles are almost exclusively personal which increases the disappointment .
I would think the upgrade priority of a Plat over a Gold (at any fare code) is enough to make Plat status much more desirable than Gold. Not to mention the no change fee on reward tickets. Plus if you ever want to reach any of the MM status categories - you need to stick with one airline.

CO's 1MM program instantly rewards the SO the same status as the Elite member. So as long as you earn Plat status your SO will also be Plat. This is an immediate benefit once 1MM is achieved. While you may drop to Silver after your retire - you get the SO match now.

These items in my view are enough to make sticking with CO the thing to do. But each person needs to decide what works best for them. If you switch to AA - then stick with AA and earn 1MM or 2MM status with them.
Old Sep 25, 2008, 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by cova
I would think the upgrade priority of a Plat over a Gold (at any fare code) is enough to make Plat status much more desirable than Gold. Not to mention the no change fee on reward tickets. Plus if you ever want to reach any of the MM status categories - you need to stick with one airline.

CO's 1MM program instantly rewards the SO the same status as the Elite member. So as long as you earn Plat status your SO will also be Plat. This is an immediate benefit once 1MM is achieved. While you may drop to Silver after your retire - you get the SO match now.

These items in my view are enough to make sticking with CO the thing to do. But each person needs to decide what works best for them. If you switch to AA - then stick with AA and earn 1MM or 2MM status with them.
Well, between flight miles, credit card churning miles, debit card miles, bonus miles, shopping miles, conversion of hotel to airline miles, MR miles, transfer miles, I have been able to get 2 million AA miles in about 6 years. That makes me lifetime PLAT for the life of the AAdvantage program. For the last three years I have been using my Business Extraa points (similar to CO RewardOne) to keep my SO as an AA Gold. Now I am shifting the above mentioned techniques to build her up to lifetime PLAT. She should be there in about 5 years. I usually fly about 150K EQMs every year between CO and AA. If I were to give all my business to CO, it will take me 26.67 years to get CO lifetime PLAT for her and I - 100% bonuses, lounge access, same benefits that she will get will with AA in 5 years. What would you do?
Old Sep 25, 2008, 10:09 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by docr775
What would you do?
Stick with AA. You are already a 2MM'er.
Old Sep 26, 2008, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UALCO Holdings General Member
Originally Posted by cova
Im semi close to 1MM , so I will not leave CO until i reach that .
And will probably stay with CO after , but who knows I will be open to other ideas, it just does not seem to be better anywhere else.
Old Sep 26, 2008, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
I'm going to be focusing more on United. I'm going to get 1K this year and I'm looking forward to the numerous bennies: SWU, upgrades almost always clearing (even CONFIRMED upgrades on ps transcons), free SDC, no fees for rewards.

I was only going to try to hit gold on CO this year, but since CO isn't really differentiating Ag/Au, and I won't be getting upgrades anyways, might as well put more BIS miles into United.
Old Sep 26, 2008, 10:59 am

I tend to look at things fairly differently than most FTer's, these losses are inevitable and there are more lurking around the corner as all the major airlines circle the toilet and try to figure out ways to generate money without really upsetting the flying public. Honestly, I am shocked at how accepting people are of bag fees and paying for everything not bolted down to the actual aircraft.

Beyond that, I have no idea why CO is matching UA on so many fronts that it is getting harder to differentiate one from the other. (Maybe that it is the point) While the loss of a 25% RDM bonus is lamentable, it is not that big of a deal IMHO. What is a big deal is that I am potentially going to have to deal with UA (using their clubs in ORD/DEN/SFO/NRT and dealing with their generally poor front line staff) and that in of itself gives me pause about sticking with CO.

Granted, there is not one legacy carriers that is all roses and there are many that are far less desirable than CO, but as CO degrades their product and FF program more and more, there is less differentiation and for the first time I might let price dictate my loyalty.

In summation, I am going to stick with CO for now because I am not going to jump over to US and DL/NW does not really add much that CO does not already provide. AA is an option, but they really do not fly where I want to go and MIA is a pit.

Dan
Old Sep 26, 2008, 4:24 pm

Programs: Continental: Platinum, US Air: Platinum; Marriott: Gold
Originally Posted by CAL PHL FLYER
NO..Im staying with CO..they could have changed alot more,I really think they didnt want to have to make any changes but market conditions dictate..CO is the best out there..and you know it..
I just switched (today) from US to CO, in the hopes of not taking it in the hindquarters from the sandfleas out in Tempe anymore. The CO program looks a LOT better. I considered DL and CO, and CO seems the better product.
Old Sep 26, 2008, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
anything is better than US.
Old Sep 26, 2008, 10:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
Originally Posted by entropy
anything is better than US.
This is the new CO strategy..."We're a 'leader' whenever we're better than US"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.