Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

First Bag Fees & 2009 OnePass Program Changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First Bag Fees & 2009 OnePass Program Changes

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2008, 8:22 am

Programs: United 1K,Marriott Platinum Premier,IHC Platinum Ambassador,Hilton Gold
I think this is a move everbody was expecting and isnt suprising..things in life change..it will be OK..we will adpat..
Old Sep 5, 2008, 8:26 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Funny as just last week the flight attendant was proudly walking up and down the aisle saying how CO is the legacy carrier with the least amount of the nickel and dime type fees. Guess she will be disappointed to see CO go down the same road.
Old Sep 5, 2008, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UALCO Holdings General Member
Originally Posted by MBM3
So can someone let me know why I should bother trying to reach Platinum? The bag fee doesn't bother me, but why are they reducing benefits for Plats?

I was thinking the same thing , for the previous changes announced, it seems like they were looking out for the Plat Elites , this one is a big No No NO .
Old Sep 5, 2008, 8:30 am

Programs: OnePass Platinum, Starwood Platinum, Avis First, Hilton Silver, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by CODC10
Either that, or we'll continue to see Continental align itself with United in terms of overall product in preparation for a Star Alliance entry, instead of the other way around.

I suppose all things eventually correct to the lowest common denominator...
I guess this was my worst fear - and it looks like we're heading down that road.

CO could either bring UA/US up to their level, or sink down. Sadly, they're sinking down. When they stop cleaining planes we'll know we've hit bottom.

A sad day for CO and its passengers.
Old Sep 5, 2008, 8:31 am

Programs: United 1K,Marriott Platinum Premier,IHC Platinum Ambassador,Hilton Gold
CO still doesnt charge for meals or beverages..and doesnt charge for pillows and blankets..and doesnt charge for cocktails in the President`s Club..just be thankfull for what we have..CO is still really generous..(and you know it)
Old Sep 5, 2008, 8:35 am

Programs: UA, AA
Originally Posted by littledude
One of the main reasons I am flying Continental this year versus US was service, bonus miles and no cheating you out of miles. I sure hope they are not following * as their planes, crews and service is terrible--was Chairman over there and this year only 30K on them...
Bingo. CO, I gave you thousands of dollars of flying this year after leaving US for those same reasons.

Quick back-of-the-envelope calcluation shows the mileage changes costing this Platinum 25,300 per year (I fly the same route consistently). That's not insignificant.

Last edited by PSU Mudder; Sep 5, 2008 at 8:45 am
Old Sep 5, 2008, 8:36 am

Programs: PWP Direktor of Homeland, CO Plat* 1MM,UA 1K,BD Gold,DL Gold,SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by rolov
I was thinking the same thing , for the previous changes announced, it seems like they were looking out for the Plat Elites , this one is a big No No NO .
Agreed. I still don't understand the alignment in bonus miles between Gold and Plat. I know UA does it, but it's never made sense. You should put your top tier in a different category then your mid-tier.

Programs: VX Gold; UA Silver (BLAH!); HHonors Diamond
1st checked bag fee- Most people on this forum are elite anyway so aren't affected as badly as General Q. Public.

500 mile minimumum:
*SNIFF* This makes requalification at Silver for me a big challenge. I normally will buy up 1 or 2 Xfare specials over the course of year for the final 1,000 - 2,000 mile push - not to mention some nice padding with IAH-AUS flights. I'm relying on two sub-500 mile round trip segments this year. Wish it did not have to occur with EQMs as well, but consistency might be what CO wants.

With the reduction in earnings; does this make a stored bank of miles suddenly slightly increase in value?

The overall scheme of things is moving CO closer to being in line with Star Alliance standards. The problem is we also still have the worst of the SkyTeam standards in place as well: 50% EQMs on non-Co.com booked discouny econony fares. As a tradeoff that should have been eliminated for 2009 and Better be eliminated come Star Alliance integration, whence I'll take E+ over the false promises of upgrades anyday.

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
So this means that Gold and Plat both get 100% mileage bonus. Sounds to me that CO is aligning more with UA.
Old Sep 5, 2008, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CAL PHL FLYER
CO still doesnt charge for meals or beverages..and doesnt charge for pillows and blankets..and doesnt charge for cocktails in the President`s Club..just be thankfull for what we have..CO is still really generous..(and you know it)
Generous? Last time I checked, we pay (often a premium) to fly CO - they should provide those basic services.
Old Sep 5, 2008, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by bernsa
1st checked bag fee- Most people on this forum are elite anyway so aren't affected as badly as General Q. Public.
I'm elite on several programs, and it still effects me: longer screening lines and longer boarding/disembarking times.

I was happy that CO was still holding the line. I'm annoyed that they have caved. I'd rather pay for my tickets and have a good flight. It's annoying to be nickle-and-dimed from curb to curb.
Old Sep 5, 2008, 8:41 am

We often buy the the lowest dirt cheap fare and hope for an upgrade..all those $69 cheap tickets to florida with free first class upgrades were fun..
Old Sep 5, 2008, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UALCO Holdings General Member
You bring up some good points, but also remember that for Pres Club access you usually have a paid membership , which has gone up again , or you are flying internationally and have been given access for flying BF or are Plat in Y.

Unless you enter via amex plat in which case Amex has paid CO to grant you entrance.
Old Sep 5, 2008, 8:46 am

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
This is utter crap.
500 mile minimums and 50% elite bonuses are what has kept me as a CO Silver.
Now the only silver benefit is free bags and a wimpy 25% bonus?

And this probably isn't the end of *A allignment changes either.
Old Sep 5, 2008, 8:46 am

just be thankfull for what we have..CO is still really generous..(and you know it)
Generous? It's a business relationship, and we pay for these benefits, whether directly to Continental or to third-party vendors who have agreements with Continental. Continental benefits from higher rankings and continued loyalty. I'm thankful, and I like Continental, but it's not like it's a gift.

I personally think that the benefits and services in place when a ticket is purchased should be delivered; changes should be applied to tickets "purchased after a certain date" and not to previously-purchased tickets "flown after a certain date". For example, I purchased a ticket for non-elites a while back based on a number of factors, including no bag fee for them, and now the terms of the "contract" have changed. I think that's bad.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.