Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

First Bag Fees & 2009 OnePass Program Changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First Bag Fees & 2009 OnePass Program Changes

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2008, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mackieman
I would think with the lowering cost of fuel, though certainly not what it was, things like this would not be as necessary. I also wonder if rolling out these types of changes back when oil prices were at their peak would make this easier to swallow. In any event, a hearty round of bad news all the way around.
I don't think airlines should be looking at what the fuel price is currently, even with the recent huge drop in crude oil prices, because who knows what it will be in the next 12-24 months? It could go to $200 or go down to $50. Planning the business for a worst case scenario would be the most prudent move, and these changes reflect that.
Old Sep 5, 2008, 8:48 am

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by nycnnj
Generous? It's a business relationship, and we pay for these benefits, whether directly to Continental or to third-party vendors who have agreements with Continental. Continental benefits from higher rankings and continued loyalty. I'm thankful, and I like Continental, but it's not like it's a gift.

I personally think that the benefits and services in place when a ticket is purchased should be delivered; changes should be applied to tickets "purchased after a certain date" and not to previously-purchased tickets "flown after a certain date". For example, I purchased a ticket for non-elites a while back based on a number of factors, including no bag fee for them, and now the terms of the "contract" have changed. I think that's bad.
Tickets purchased before today for non-elites will still have a free bag.
Old Sep 5, 2008, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by colpuck
seriously, was this necessary? Booooooooo
yes.

Why leave money on the table?
Old Sep 5, 2008, 8:49 am

What about flights on DL, NW, AS, and other partners? Still 500 miles minimum until the relationship ends?
Old Sep 5, 2008, 8:51 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by littledude

Maybe in the future it won't matter what status you have and just fly whomever.

BINGO we have a Winner!

The Future is now!

Ok Im already Plat for '09, but for now on my Biz will go to whomever has the cheaper fare within the times I want. Since Im Life Time Plat on AA, I guess they will be getting alot of my travels again , as I wont have to pay any baggae fees. With CO Id have to maintain at least Silver, why should I?, so that I can post how my % of EUAs keep slipping downward, or so that I can pay for booze even on my Intl flights unlike the European Carriers

CO will get away with it cause most people will complain and *itch about it even as they are clicking the Purchase of their tkt. and CO knows that.

Nope CO has Lowered itself to join US & UA and will be no better then them. What I dont understand is why dont US & UA & CO simply merge and become 1 Carrier and Screw Us royally as 1.

Thats why for yrs Ive posted yea Im Loyal but to myself cause when push comes to shove CO will Screw us and claim its for our own good. CO can put on as many DOs as they want, its all smoke in the eyes when they can turn around and pull these things. I bet you they arent done yet either with their ENHANCEMENTS

Originally Posted by ctownflyer
Tickets purchased before today for non-elites will still have a free bag.
That's not how I read it. I hope I'm wrong.

Location: EWR, USA, AA 1MM Gold, United Premier Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Emerald Club Executive
Originally Posted by rolov
You bring up some good points, but also remember that for Pres Club access you usually have a paid membership , which has gone up again , or you are flying internationally and have been given access for flying BF or are Plat in Y.

Unless you enter via amex plat in which case Amex has paid CO to grant you entrance.
Makes the Presidential Plus Card more and more attractive...

In any case, these changes really bite the big one!

Other airlines give the same milegae bonuses for Plat and Gold, but they at least give their top tiers SWU's or something more tangible to compensate...
Old Sep 5, 2008, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yellow77
What about flights on DL, NW, AS, and other partners? Still 500 miles minimum until the relationship ends?
If it's anything like UA, each partner will have individual 500-mile minimum policies so I wouldn't expect the CO elimination of 500-mile minimum to automatically remove the 500-mile minimum from partners.
Old Sep 5, 2008, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Diamond, B6 Mosaic, AS MPV Gold, UA Gold MM, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by DrMaturin
Why is CO implementing these policies as the price of oil heads lower? Not having a first checked bag fee was a great way to differentiate CO from it's competitors. Now you're just like them.
The price of oil may be lower now, but don't expect it to stay there.

And I agree on losing the differentiation between CO and its competitors.

Originally Posted by fozz
I'm really bummed to hear about the 500 mile minimum and the cut in elite bonuses. I really hope CO isn't taking guidance from their fellow star partners UA and US.
You know they are. Those of us who hold status with CO and UA easily see this for what it is. It's the same kind of alignment that happened a decade ago between CO and NW, except, then, most of the changes were positive.

This is utter crap.
And this probably isn't the end of *A allignment changes either.
Ugh, the day I see "500 Mile Upgrade Certificates Coming to Continental" in one of CO Insdier's posts is the day I call DL or AA for a status match. I'd like to hope that day never comes, but with these changes, it wouldn't shock me to see it.

I realize the airline industry is really struggling right now, but it just seems like these changes are going to further drive customers to the low cost carriers that are charging the same fares without a bunch of add-on fees, and haven't eroded frequent flier benefits. Seriously, every change like this makes WN look a little more attractive for domestic travel. Is that what CO really wants?
Old Sep 5, 2008, 8:57 am

Programs: United 1K,Marriott Platinum Premier,IHC Platinum Ambassador,Hilton Gold
CO will still be my airline of choice..^
Old Sep 5, 2008, 8:58 am

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Bingo is absolutely right.
As a lifetime gold on AA I'll get better benefits than CO is now giving (AHEM, INCLUDING PRERESERVING AN EXIT-ROW)
With these changes there really is less and less reason to keep requalifying as a CO Silver.

Originally Posted by craz
BINGO we have a Winner!

The Future is now!

Ok Im already Plat for '09, but for now on my Biz will go to whomever has the cheaper fare within the times I want. Since Im Life Time Plat on AA, I guess they will be getting alot of my travels again , as I wont have to pay any baggae fees. With CO Id have to maintain at least Silver, why should I?, so that I can post how my % of EUAs keep slipping downward, or so that I can pay for booze even on my Intl flights unlike the European Carriers

CO will get away with it cause most people will complain and *itch about it even as they are clicking the Purchase of their tkt. and CO knows that.

Nope CO has Lowered itself to join US & UA and will be no better then them. What I dont understand is why dont US & UA & CO simply merge and become 1 Carrier and Screw Us royally as 1.

Thats why for yrs Ive posted yea Im Loyal but to myself cause when push comes to shove CO will Screw us and claim its for our own good. CO can put on as many DOs as they want, its all smoke in the eyes when they can turn around and pull these things. I bet you they arent done yet either with their ENHANCEMENTS
Old Sep 5, 2008, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by UnitedSkies
If it's anything like UA, each partner will have individual 500-mile minimum policies so I wouldn't expect the CO elimination of 500-mile minimum to automatically remove the 500-mile minimum from partners.
That would mean I'll see a lot more of DL Connection into JFK and a lot less of CO Express into EWR...

I'm not loyal to CO. They currently and for the last few years have provided the best, cleanest planes and the best mileage earning for my routes (in a small city - ROC - about 250 miles from JFK/EWR/PHL/IAD/CLE/DTW/CVG - so I could basically choose any carrier of the six legacies, maybe with the exception of AA). So I choose them - for now.The new DL/NW starts to look more attractive for now. We'll see what things look like at the end of the year...
Old Sep 5, 2008, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kommissar Giga-Posting Direktor, PWP; Fasano Nouveau Aristocrat; CO Platinum; BD Gold; MR Gold
This is utter crap.
500 mile minimums and 50% elite bonuses are what has kept me as a CO Silver.
Now the only silver benefit is free bags and a wimpy 25% bonus?

And this probably isn't the end of *A allignment changes either.
CO could not care less about Silvers.
Old Sep 5, 2008, 9:00 am

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
This certainly makes me rethink moving to CO once the NW/DL merger completes. They're making NW look better, although obviously DL may impose similar changes down the road. They already limit the plat bonus to 100%.

The elimination of the 500 mile minimum will kill me. I just did a quick calculation for my 2007 flying and I would have earned 14,398 fewer EQMs under these new rules. It will be interesting to see how this change will affect traffic on routes like AUS-IAH. Of course, the legacy US carriers seem like they are in a race to the bottom so CO may not end up at a competitive disadvantage.
Old Sep 5, 2008, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA-2MM; GalacticXpress-Irridium
Sigghhhh, deep down I knew some of this was going to happen. As someone indicated earlier, CO is stooping down to UA/US level instead of being different which they should be. OK, instead of stooping it's more like bending over and maybe CO needs a whack in the behind to bring some sense back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.