Wiki Posts
Search

TXL-EWR Lightning Strike?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2008, 6:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, CO Plat, CO Million Miler
TXL-EWR Lightning Strike?

When we were sitting on the ground at Hartford yesterday on a BOS-EWR diversion, the gate agent mentioned that everyone was busy handling a TXL flight that had been diverted to Hartford after a lightning strike. I checked the flight status for flight 97 and see that was true. It also appears to show that they cancelled the Hartford-EWR portion. Does anyone know what happened? I know that lightning often hits planes without any ill effect, so what happened here? Any damage?
Old Aug 12, 2008, 7:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I was on a flight SFO-EWR in January where the inbound was struck by lightning on final approach. While the plane was fine to fly, it did take them a couple hours to check it out and make sure. Apparently there are extra inspections that go on after a plane is struck. My guess is that there was a crew timeout issue at that point, though I don't know for sure.
Old Aug 12, 2008, 7:34 am

Programs: LH, AB, SPG, CC, Sixt, EC
Why would the light striking have anything to do with a crew timeout?
Old Aug 12, 2008, 7:38 am
Suspended

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/archi.../t-637806.html
Old Aug 12, 2008, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Diamond, B6 Mosaic, AS MPV Gold, UA Gold MM, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by supermasterphil
Why would the light striking have anything to do with a crew timeout?
By the time the plane is checked out, which may take a couple of hours, and deemed safe to fly on to its final destination, the crew very well may have timed out for the day.
Old Aug 12, 2008, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UALCO Holdings General Member
Originally Posted by ssullivan
By the time the plane is checked out, which may take a couple of hours, and deemed safe to fly on to its final destination, the crew very well may have timed out for the day.
From Hartford , they should have just used a tug and towed on I95 down to EWR
Old Aug 12, 2008, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A menace to everything in the sky. Yes. Even birds.
Programs: Eh+ Rapid Rolleyes
Originally Posted by rolov
they should have just used a tug and towed on I95 down to EWR
I just calculated that it would have been a $19,800 toll to cross the GWB with it.

In other news, had they taken it down 95, everyone would have timed out. The guy with the tug would have reached retirement age somewhere around Rye.

Instead of firing people at my company we send them to Providence. ... they never return.

Okay, I'm done now.
Old Aug 12, 2008, 8:03 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by belynch
Okay, I'm done now.
why? seemed like you were just getting warmed up.
Old Aug 12, 2008, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Under the Liberty Visual to 27L at PHL. Stranger in a strange land - a Devils fan in Flyers country.
Programs: PWP Le Chancelier des Clefs d'Or || Sarcasm, Anti-Stupidity, Obscure References top tier member.
Originally Posted by belynch
I just calculated that it would have been a $19,800 toll to cross the GWB with it.
Comparatively cheap when bumped up against the funny and the photo op.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.