Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Flight carrying congress members makes emergency Landing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flight carrying congress members makes emergency Landing

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2008, 7:17 pm
mk1

Programs: KE Morning Calm; AA Plat
Hope they get everything sorted out. pda.co.com/info tells me that's my plane (#720) tomorrow morning.
Old Jul 22, 2008, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Originally Posted by GeneDoc
From FL390 at 2:49p to 10,400 ft at 3:03p. Fourteen minutes to descend almost 30,000 feet sounds pretty fast to me.
I disagree. That's just a little faster than normal descend. Often if there's no traffic, you get from 380/390 cruise to ground in about 25 minutes.

Last edited by rkkwan; Jul 22, 2008 at 9:58 pm
Old Jul 22, 2008, 7:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by rkkwan
I disagree. That's a littel faster than normal descend. Often if there's no traffic, you get from 380/390 cruise to ground in about 25 minutes.
I wasn't clear. Pretty fast, but not an emergency descent.
Old Jul 22, 2008, 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by mk1
Hope they get everything sorted out. pda.co.com/info tells me that's my plane (#720) tomorrow morning.
It appears that #729 is the one with the problem; #720 is going to play the reliever and take everyone to DCA about, oh, 10 minutes ago?
Old Jul 22, 2008, 7:56 pm
mk1

Programs: KE Morning Calm; AA Plat
Originally Posted by das126
It appears that #729 is the one with the problem; #720 is going to play the reliever and take everyone to DCA about, oh, 10 minutes ago?
I stand corrected. I wonder if anyone was able to take a quick ride over to the French Quarter to enjoy a drink or two while the replacement aircraft was on its way
Old Jul 22, 2008, 9:49 pm

Programs: UA Silv; Hyatt Plat, Priority Club, SPG G, HHonors G, Marriott S; Hertz 5*; AA, WN, Pan Am!
Originally Posted by climmy
I love the way they report that:

"...after it lost cabin pressure and took a major nosedive..."

How about it took a major nosedive BECAUSE of the loss in cabin pressure. Std op procedure...Gear out and steep descent to 10,000 feet. Trained for all the time.
Am I missing something? Isn't the "nose" fairly superfluous here? Have planes begun diving with something other than the nose leading the way lately? But yes, "rapid descent" would have been much better here.

This goes along with something said in the "downgraded on paid F" thread, where the concierge told a BF pax that the back of the plane gets there at the same time as the front. Until they start flying sideways, no it doesn't.

FWIW (and back on topic), Nick Lampson told his staffer that the O2 masks did deploy, but that everything went smoothly:
Trevor Kincaid, a spokesman for passenger and Rep. Nick Lampson, said his boss told him "there was absolutely no panic on the plane." Lampson told Kincaid the plane's oxygen masks dropped down.

"Continental Airline's personnel and staff were exceptional; executing what seemed to me a textbook performance in emergency procedure. I was very impressed," Lampson said in a release.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...l?hpid=topnews
Old Jul 22, 2008, 9:53 pm

Programs: UA Silv; Hyatt Plat, Priority Club, SPG G, HHonors G, Marriott S; Hertz 5*; AA, WN, Pan Am!
Originally Posted by LukeSkywaiter
Wow... I would love to be the F/A she screamed at regarding a seafood special on a route where specials aren't offered, so I could throw her off the plane. Respect is a two way street, and no one, regardless of income, public status, occupation, etc, has the right to treat another human being in the way that that article describes, and the way that many of my colleagues have described Lee's behavior. America is a democracy, and there are no queens... well, other than a few of my dear F/A friends, haha.
And SJL is worthy of no respect, IMHO.
Old Jul 22, 2008, 9:57 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Originally Posted by PhlyingRPh
Fair enough. But wouldn't the former be considered "major" enough for Mr. & Mrs. Kettle to pooh themselves?
Not really. The trailer kettle folk are more likely to defecate from the masks dropping.

doobierw, in the "fat boys" we didn't roll and pull 5 g's though I have seen the Dash 80 roll pics.

Ciao,
FH
Old Jul 22, 2008, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
7+ hours late... seat map and upgrade list not available

Flight Information & Status Results
Continental Flight: 458
Departure Date: Jul 22, 2008
Status: In Flight - Estimated To Arrive 7 hours 22 Minutes Late, Diverted To New Orleans, LA (MSY)

Departed:
New Orleans, LA (MSY)
Scheduled: 4:00 PM
Actual: 9:03 PM
Gate: Not Assigned
Check-in: West Terminal

Arrives:
Washington, DC (DCA - National)
Scheduled: 5:14 PM
Estimated: 12:36 AM (Jul 23)
Gate: 14
Bag Claim/Arrivals: Terminal B

Aircraft: Boeing 737-700 aircraft #720
Old Jul 22, 2008, 10:00 pm
yad

Programs: CO Plat
Having recently been on a "rapid descent" flight (for a medical emergency) I can say that it's definitely noticeable. I'm sure it's only a bit faster in absolute terms, but you definitely feel it and it would certainly be a bit disconcerting if you didn't know the reason. In this particular case, I'd think it would have been pretty scary, even if obviously they were never in any real danger.
Old Jul 23, 2008, 3:12 am

I would be curious to see how they end up voting on the aviation safety bill after this situation
Old Jul 23, 2008, 10:31 am

Programs: CO PLT, HH DIA
The story I read had effusive praise for the CO crew as being unbelievably good in this situation, professional to a fauly, always calm and in control. I would think that this would be more of a topic of discussion--members of congress were on the plane and a spokesman for one of them went out of their way to praise CO and its people.

COInsider, please relay *THIS* frequent flyers' congratulations to the CO team for getting great press in a month of nothing but negative news for the industry!

--PP
Old Jul 23, 2008, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Heard Ted Poe on KSEV (AM 700) this morning. He also said everybody was calm, and very quiet - though with the masks on, it was hard not to be quiet. The descend was definitely significantly steeper than normal and they all felt it.
Old Jul 23, 2008, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Under the Liberty Visual to 27L at PHL. Stranger in a strange land - a Devils fan in Flyers country.
Programs: PWP Le Chancelier des Clefs d'Or || Sarcasm, Anti-Stupidity, Obscure References top tier member.
Members of Congress being quiet....so that's what it takes. Stick them in a plummeting airliner.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.