FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Flight carrying congress members makes emergency Landing
Old Jul 22, 2008, 9:49 pm
texd

Programs: UA Silv; Hyatt Plat, Priority Club, SPG G, HHonors G, Marriott S; Hertz 5*; AA, WN, Pan Am!
Originally Posted by climmy
I love the way they report that:

"...after it lost cabin pressure and took a major nosedive..."

How about it took a major nosedive BECAUSE of the loss in cabin pressure. Std op procedure...Gear out and steep descent to 10,000 feet. Trained for all the time.
Am I missing something? Isn't the "nose" fairly superfluous here? Have planes begun diving with something other than the nose leading the way lately? But yes, "rapid descent" would have been much better here.

This goes along with something said in the "downgraded on paid F" thread, where the concierge told a BF pax that the back of the plane gets there at the same time as the front. Until they start flying sideways, no it doesn't.

FWIW (and back on topic), Nick Lampson told his staffer that the O2 masks did deploy, but that everything went smoothly:
Trevor Kincaid, a spokesman for passenger and Rep. Nick Lampson, said his boss told him "there was absolutely no panic on the plane." Lampson told Kincaid the plane's oxygen masks dropped down.

"Continental Airline's personnel and staff were exceptional; executing what seemed to me a textbook performance in emergency procedure. I was very impressed," Lampson said in a release.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...l?hpid=topnews