Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Upgraded F Pax switching seats w/ random non-elite Y Pax

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgraded F Pax switching seats w/ random non-elite Y Pax

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2008, 6:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA and HH
I am in the boat that if I am traveling with the S/O, friend, or family and there is a special occasion to where we should sit together I would deny the upgrade before it ever happened. IMO, I would rather see someone that is actually elite get the upgrade over another regular pax that flys once ever three years.
Old Jul 21, 2008, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by Rebigulator
If you get the seat, it should be yours.
Originally Posted by flyer57
I firmly believe that the person upgraded ought to be able to give his seat to another passeneger.
Originally Posted by smp9778
Nothing wrong with trading seats, in my opinion. I have seen it happen several times.
Right, right and right again. Once or twice I have been standing in the jetway with a (non-elite) subordinate report, both of us exhausted and on our way to some hellish presentation we've been up all night working on... I've told him to switch ticket jackets with me so he can turn left at the door and get some rest for his efforts while I go back to Y and pretend to be him... nobody is the wiser, the colleague remembers it for a long time, and it's my perfect right.
Old Jul 21, 2008, 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by BearX220
Right, right and right again. Once or twice I have been standing in the jetway with a (non-elite) subordinate report, both of us exhausted and on our way to some hellish presentation we've been up all night working on... I've told him to switch ticket jackets with me so he can turn left at the door and get some rest for his efforts while I go back to Y and pretend to be him... nobody is the wiser, the colleague remembers it for a long time, and it's my perfect right.
i've done this several times with subordinates and nothing builds loyalty like this. This is not different than using an upgrade cert for someone else on UA for example. I earned it and I gave it out.

i've also switched out my paid FC seat with a someone in Y to sit with my family but check-in as F so that i would get the COS bonus
Old Jul 22, 2008, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by gbryan84
I would rather see someone that is actually elite get the upgrade over another regular pax that flys once ever three years.
I see your point there but just think how much more special that upgrade would be, coming out of the blue, to an unsuspecting non-elite. It would be like winning a prize. For the elite it's just another battlefield to add to the list.

I'm assuming that all of the upgrades we're talking about here are free because if there were points or $ involved, the seat would definitely theirs to do with what they please.
Old Jul 22, 2008, 11:19 am

Originally Posted by kingalien
This was discussed quite a while ago that the person with the upgrade should give up the seat and the next person on the upgrade list would be upgraded.
Originally Posted by kingalien
Person should notify GA to remove self from the upgrade list ahead of time.
Originally Posted by CALflyboi
I think the best thing in these situations is for the upgraded person to decline, explaining that they would like to sit with someone in the back, and then let the seat go to the next person on the list. However, I realize that is it not always possible to do this.
What does that accomplish? Instead of sitting in F, he sits in a random chair in Y? The point is to sit next to the person in Y, and that person would probably choose the F seat over another random Y seat.

I am in the boat that if I am traveling with the S/O, friend, or family and there is a special occasion to where we should sit together I would deny the upgrade before it ever happened. IMO, I would rather see someone that is actually elite get the upgrade over another regular pax that flys once ever three years.
If I got upgraded or bought the F seat, another "elite" has no more right to that seat than "another regular pax". I am within my rights to trade it with whoever I want.
Old Jul 22, 2008, 11:52 am

Programs: UA Premier Silver, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by vrbaba
What does that accomplish? Instead of sitting in F, he sits in a random chair in Y? The point is to sit next to the person in Y, and that person would probably choose the F seat over another random Y seat.
You can choose to opt out of an upgrade before the EUA runs therefore keeping your original seat next to your companion.
Old Jul 22, 2008, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by OPFlyer
You can choose to opt out of an upgrade before the EUA runs therefore keeping your original seat next to your companion.
Sure, but the point is he never had a seat next to the companion. Or if both were on the upgrade list and only one was cleared.
Old Jul 31, 2008, 12:19 pm

Programs: UA - MM/Lifetime Gold
Smile

[COLOR="Blue"]I have given my seat to soldiers on 4 occasions over the past 2 years, mostly from IAH to SAN or SFO. I wait until the plane is loaded and then before the door is closed i quietly call FA and ask him/her to see if the soldier/sailor [in uniform] would like my seat in F. The FA's are always thrilled to help me out and thank me for being so kind to our service folks. The last time I did this, i ended up in row 22-23 and when I got back there, the section broke out in applause for me. 2 passengers boughts me drinks and several thanked me. It brought tears to my eyes and I felt so grateful that I was able in small way to thank our military for their service. These kids are shocked and are not quite sure what to do as they move up front. They all say "thank you Sir", and I get a lump in my throat every time. I imagine they don't even dream of being asked to sit up front. Who knows, one of those guys may end up in Iraq/Afg and never come home alive.

I would urge everyone who rides in the front of the bus on a regular basis [especially the Plat's who get in F a lot] to consider doing this on occasion when they see a uniform go by them onboard. It is a great feeling and even though you may end up in a middle seat in the back, what better way to share in a tiny sacrifice for our military.
Old Jul 31, 2008, 12:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA and HH
I would consider the same dornec though have been lucky to get a companion upgrade for service men I have traveled with. If I know that F will be departing with empty seats I will also look for a parent w/ lap children or elderly people that may be more comfortable up front and try to get them on as a companion. I have gotten some strange looks especially from people that dont travel a lot and have even been told no as they probably think there is a catch. I love to see the faces of these people when they board and see somone else who took me up on the offer and we arnt even sitting together. This usually happens on early morning flights and those out of SMF.
Old Jul 31, 2008, 1:17 pm

Programs: UA - MM/Lifetime Gold
Talking

I too have had a young service person tell the FA no, because they thoguht they would have to pay for something. One other time, the soldier said thanks but no as he was traveling with his family and didn't want them in the back alone. It really does give me a thrill when I can help a uniform get upgraded. I like the other suggestions as well, although coming out of Cle. and into IAH there usually aren't any open seats in F.
Old Aug 1, 2008, 7:16 am

Programs: DL MM/FC/FO; UA PS; AA GLD
I would consider the same dornec though have been lucky to get a companion upgrade for service men I have traveled with. If I know that F will be departing with empty seats I will also look for a parent w/ lap children or elderly people that may be more comfortable up front and try to get them on as a companion. I have gotten some strange looks especially from people that dont travel a lot and have even been told no as they probably think there is a catch. I love to see the faces of these people when they board and see somone else who took me up on the offer and we arnt even sitting together. This usually happens on early morning flights and those out of SMF.
If you "companion" is a stranger with a lap child, I hope they are sitting next to you.

Last edited by sushibear; Aug 1, 2008 at 11:10 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.