FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/continental-onepass-pre-merger-488/)
-   -   Upgraded F Pax switching seats w/ random non-elite Y Pax (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/continental-onepass-pre-merger/847101-upgraded-f-pax-switching-seats-w-random-non-elite-y-pax.html)

gbryan84 Jul 21, 2008 8:15 am

Upgraded F Pax switching seats w/ random non-elite Y Pax

What is the rule when an elite w/ an upgrade switches seats with a random Y pax so they can sit with a friend in Y? Yesterday on my DFW-IAH flight a girl sitting behind me asked the person sitting next to her if he would switch seats with her friend that was in First so they could sit w/ each other. The guy obviously said yes and took it. This is not that big of a deal since it was just an hour flight and I was #2 on the upgrade list and wouldnt have gotten it anyway but being curious I asked the FA and resulted in a red coat coming and giving me attitude. I was just curious on the rules and didnt want to fight it so I said whatever and just asked for his business card. What makes me mad about the situation is just 2 weeks ago on LGA-IAH flight where this same situation happened and but the FA/GA witnessed it and said "sorry we are not Southwest Airlines, you must take your assigned seat. If you would like to sit in the back please let the GA's know prior to boarding so another elite can take your seat in F."

I would just like to see some type of rules or uniform guidelines for situations like this. Any one else see this hapening and what was the response?

sbrower Jul 21, 2008 8:53 am

There are rules and guidelines, which say that the person who got the upgrade had the right to do what they want with their seat (in this context - obviously there are other things that would violate rules).

craz Jul 21, 2008 9:07 am

could be at times that there wont be 2 seats together in the back or the 2 that are available are Seat Guru 'RED' seats. So if the person gave up the UP they still wouldnt end up sitting next whomever it was they wanted to, unless they did as they did and offered it to the person who sitting next to their friend

I kinda feel that the UP belongs to whomever gets it and they are free to do with it as they wish.

I wouldnt have brought it up to a FA as I doubt they are well versed in what the Elite benefits are. Had I been that FA I too would have taken as they did, that You (OP) was simply trying to get the UP for yourself. If you really wanted Only to know what the correct procedure should be, you should have waited till you landed wherever and call OnePass and ask, in a general way w/o specifying any flight #.

kingalien Jul 21, 2008 9:09 am

This was discussed quite a while ago that the person with the upgrade should give up the seat and the next person on the upgrade list would be upgraded.

CALflyboi Jul 21, 2008 9:10 am

I have had this happen before. As far as I am concerned, the seat belongs to the person upgraded, and if they want to switch with someone, once, fine by me. I don't know of any policies relating to this specific situation, other than the 'one-time-discreet-so as not to disturb the integrity of the F/BF cabin' policy. I think the best thing in these situations is for the upgraded person to decline, explaining that they would like to sit with someone in the back, and then let the seat go to the next person on the list. However, I realize that is it not always possible to do this.

belynch Jul 21, 2008 9:16 am

Originally Posted by gbryan84 (Post 10072287)
resulted in a red coat coming and giving me attitude.

Just wanted to point out that, that's the most alarming part of this whole story in my opinion.

:confused:

kingalien Jul 21, 2008 9:25 am

Originally Posted by CALflyboi (Post 10072555)
I think the best thing in these situations is for the upgraded person to decline, explaining that they would like to sit with someone in the back, and then let the seat go to the next person on the list. However, I realize that is it not always possible to do this.

Person should notify GA to remove self from the upgrade list ahead of time.

gbryan84 Jul 21, 2008 9:33 am

Originally Posted by craz (Post 10072543)
Had I been that FA I too would have taken as they did, that You (OP) was simply trying to get the UP for yourself.

I knew there was no chance I would get the upgrade as the F cabin was full when I boarded and I knew I was #2 on the list. Simple curiousity.

Originally Posted by belynch (Post 10072589)
Just wanted to point out that, that's the most alarming part of this whole story in my opinion.

:confused:

I believe the attitude came from him trying to board the flight and non-elites blocking the elite line after he asked them to wait in the chairs until their row was called and them doing nothing. I forgot exactly what he said but he said it a couple of times (to the extent of its his seat and he can do whatever he wants with it). I then said whatever it doesnt matter can I please have your card and it was over.

uthornsgo Jul 21, 2008 11:55 am

For those that say he should have been taken off the list for the next in line, what if I'm upgraded and give my upgraded seat to my mother and sit next to my father in coach, taking my mother's coach seat? Sure, I know these people and they're my parents, but how is it any different? My mom isn't elite and isn't entitled to an upgrade. Who cares if I give my ugraded seat to her or to a stranger?

I understand the OP's annoyance, but how do we even know that was an upgraded passenger who gave away his seat to the stranger? Maybe the guy was in a paid F seat and traded with the stranger. Maybe he used miles to upgrade weeks in advance. If he didn't buy that seat, someone else could have been upgraded into it. If he hadn't upgraded that seat with miles, the next person could have been upgraded. There are so many different scenarios one could dream up that it's easier and fair to say that "once you have a first class seat assignment, it's your seat to sit in or give to whomever you please".

ijgordon Jul 21, 2008 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by kingalien (Post 10072546)
This was discussed quite a while ago that the person with the upgrade should give up the seat and the next person on the upgrade list would be upgraded.

How does that help the passenger originally in first to sit with his/her friend in coach? Now all of a sudden it's musical chairs in the back?

craz Jul 21, 2008 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by gbryan84 (Post 10072679)
I knew there was no chance I would get the upgrade as the F cabin was full when I boarded and I knew I was #2 on the list. Simple curiousity.

OK but the FA know that? maybe the FA was simply pushing over to someone who would be able to do something about it, not thinking you were simply asking w/o wanting to have been the 1 to be UPed

Rebigulator Jul 21, 2008 4:23 pm

If you get the seat, it should be yours.

The reason for taking the upgrade and then changing seats seems pretty straight forward...if I want to sit next to my friend but we are not seated together after OLCI, I now have a great bargaining chip. Whoever is sitting next to my friend in Y is probably not going to say no to a seat in FC, but may easily say no to another Y seat.

I have pondered doing this myself, but I'd rather give my wife the upgrade and I fly in the back with my kids.

flyer57 Jul 21, 2008 5:01 pm

Giving you F seat up.

I am really surprised at the responses here:confused:. People trade seats all the time. I firmly believe that the person upgraded ought to be able to give his seat to another passeneger. I routinely give the SO the upgraded seat if we both don't make the cut. Seems perfectly legitimate to use an F seat incentive to arrange to seats together in Y. I just hope I'm the lucky passenger in the adjoining seat:D

smp9778 Jul 21, 2008 5:18 pm

F seat is the bargaining chip, as others have said. No F seat, passenger may not be able to convince other passengers in Y to move so that he/she can sit next to their friend/spouse. Nothing wrong with trading seats, in my opinion. I have seen it happen several times.

zippypinhead Jul 21, 2008 5:43 pm

And if you really want to make a soldier's day, trade seats with him. (or her I suppose)