Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

How long till the Golden Share gets bought?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How long till the Golden Share gets bought?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2008, 8:48 am

Does the purchase of the "Golden Share" mean CO can now move forward with their ConUniHound plans?
Old Apr 24, 2008, 9:12 am

Programs: Delta Dirt Medallion,AA,USairways, WN Rapid Rewards, National Emerald Club
Best Wishes

So best wishes in the future. Continental is a great airline with a great product.

I would like to hear opinions from Continental FFers; now that the golden share has been redeemed, what does the future hold?
Old Apr 24, 2008, 10:44 am

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Originally Posted by hazelrah
I would like to hear opinions from Continental FFers; now that the golden share has been redeemed, what does the future hold?
Many think CO will engage in some kind of consolidation transaction in response to NW+DL; the most often mentioned suitor for CO is UA.

With UA come many powerful assets (mainly their route structure) but also serious liabilities (mainly their labor woes and cost structure.)

My guess is that we'll see CO pair up with others (AA and Chase come to mind) to make a liquidating offer (or some offer where the assets can be extracted without the labor and other liabilities) for UA and then carve up the assets.

In any event I do not think UA will remain in it's present form. If they do consolidate with CO I think we'll see a non-traditional transaction and the product structure resemble CO's (2 classes with UA style E+), the name might stick but the end result will mainly be based upon CO's platform, not UA's existing one.

That said I do not think we'll see UA pair up with US (we might see Parker purchase a few of UA's assets, but nothing like a merger) nor do I think they'll be able to survive on their own without further dramatic restructuring (Ch 11).
Old Apr 28, 2008, 8:23 pm

Programs: Flying Nut
SO with the Golden Share being bought... How does that change CO financial standing?

Would they be able to do some finicial negotiations as they now own more of the company? Thoughts?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.