Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bye Bye Meals At Meal Time?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2008, 5:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Still trying to use my Continental OnePass miles...
Originally Posted by Gizmo Guy
Years ago when Willliam M. Gaines, the publisher of MAD Magazine, was still alive he took the Usual Gang of Idiots (MAD staff) to Disney World on Eastern Airlines. A hot meal was served. I thought it was chicken. One of the other writers thought it was veal, and a third said he thought it was beef. We asked the FA to settle the dispute. Without blinking a eye she looked at us and said: "It's whatever you want it to be!"

Dick DeBartolo
MAD's Maddest Writer

Amazing. I am a huge fan of Mr. DeBartolo and my post about airline food prompted him to respond.

Gotta love it.
Old Apr 14, 2008, 6:32 pm

Three weeks ago CO 2298 IAH-IND on a Sunday served "turkey pucks". Yesterday, Sunday as well, they served only pretzels. Meals are gone?
Old Apr 17, 2008, 10:42 am

On Continental 2 weeks ago (5 hour domestic flight) the meal was a boxed sandwich or something. They said it was a snack service. I'm one of the special meals people, so I couldn't have one.

But a few months ago to Europe and back there were the regular old hot meals service, along with the special dietary requests. Not sure really what the rules are anymore about the meals thing.
Old Apr 17, 2008, 10:48 am

Programs: CO
It really depends on variable factors. Flights over a certain amount of time AND during a designated meal time get the turkey pucks in coach, with the exception of transcons, which usually get a more traditional meal. If not during a meal time you get pretzels or peanuts. No special meal available during the snack service.

ETA: Here is a link to the way CO sets up the meals:
http://www.continental.com/web/en-US...4523C0AAFDB838
Old Apr 17, 2008, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
UA offered soup in Y about 15 years ago YVR-ORD (I'm not a frequent UA flyer). Never seen it offered in the back cabin on many airlines over the decades otherwise until KL started serving it on long haul (2nd meal/snack) earlier this year. Other than that, I've only seen soup in int'l FC and never in int'l BC.

FWIW, KL's intra-European meal service depends on the length of flight. The longer-hauls such as AMS-OTP have this rather filling pasta salad (sponsored by Bertolli/Unilever). Shorter hauls such as ZRH and VIE only have confectionery (not even a sandwich). LHR flights have even less.
Old Apr 17, 2008, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by rhiannonwales
It really depends on variable factors. Flights over a certain amount of time AND during a designated meal time get the turkey pucks in coach, with the exception of transcons, which usually get a more traditional meal. If not during a meal time you get pretzels or peanuts. No special meal available during the snack service.

ETA: Here is a link to the way CO sets up the meals:
http://www.continental.com/web/en-US...4523C0AAFDB838
I have read that . CO 2298 on 3/09 had meal service - not bad for an RJ. CO 2298 on 4/13 had pretzels. Same flight, same time, same route, different service.
Old Apr 17, 2008, 10:58 am

Programs: CO
Well it could have been a catering error or just Expressjet being ornery.
Old Apr 17, 2008, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Vulcan
"I think people overplay the cost advantage of owning Chelsea. They only have, as I understand it, ops in 6 airports: the 3 current hubs and 3 former hubs of DEN, LAX, and HNL. That leaves them still paying for food on about 40% of flights, those from other locations back to hubs. "

Not exactly 100% accurate. CO can, and does, 'tanker' meals on some RTs.
For instance, on EWR-ORD outbound Wednesday, for lunch (in FC, of course) I received a chicken in a pita and sauce, soup, and fruit salad. I had exactly the same meal on my lunch return on Thursday.
Yes, it's called "double catering" or "double provisioning". AA started doing it years ago when they owned "Sky Chefs" (just as CO still owns Chelsea today) to save money. Our group at AA did an extensive cost-benefit analysis on double catering and realized that it could save substantial amounts of money. In fact, AA had its Super-80's configured with two galleys in Y specifically for double catering.

I do agree that having some sort of free food does differentiate CO from other carriers. All things being equal, I would certainly choose CO.
Old Apr 17, 2008, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by formeraa
Yes, it's called "double catering" or "double provisioning". AA started doing it years ago when they owned "Sky Chefs" (just as CO still owns Chelsea today) to save money. Our group at AA did an extensive cost-benefit analysis on double catering and realized that it could save substantial amounts of money. In fact, AA had its Super-80's configured with two galleys in Y specifically for double catering.

I do agree that having some sort of free food does differentiate CO from other carriers. All things being equal, I would certainly choose CO.
Also called downline catering.

On today's earnings conference call, Kellner mentioned they are looking at downline catering for destinations not currently served by Chelsea so they can eliminate/reduce outside catering contracts. Same reasoning as you used at AA.

I think when Northwest tried this it led to going from 2 to one first class meal choice. Not sure about the logistics here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.