Wiki Posts
Search

IAH - Terminal B Going Away

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2008, 6:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Nut
IAH - Terminal B Going Away

Well it will take ten years. CO and City of Houston to hold press conference today to make the official announcement for what we have heard in the past.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/5679365.html

Also on the Houston Airport System site you can find out more information about these plans.

http://www.fly2houston.com/home

Just noticed the new excutive parking spaces being introduced between Terminal C and E at IAH. Read about that on the Houston Airport System website.
Old Apr 7, 2008, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Diamond, B6 Mosaic, AS MPV Gold, UA Gold MM, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite
I don't think the plans are on the HAS website just yet. If they are, I can't find them. All I see is the 2006 master plan document, which has been available for quite some time, and does not show the current near-term plans for Terminal B. In fact, HAS hasn't updated their website to show the press release they sent out last night about this yet.
Old Apr 7, 2008, 8:12 am

Programs: Alas, the Gravy Train Hath Ended...just happy to be an OW Sapphire and a ST Ivory...whatever
Yea! ^^^ I think that everyone here who has flown through Terminal B will applaud this move. Dare I say, the reactionary city government of Houston is being very proactive with this move. While terminal B is funky and crowded, but is mearly the product of the add-on of gates and the main areas are really nice. The concourses are horrible, and this new move for CO and the HAS will be great. The concourses are organized like the old-70's style of airport -- with long hallways and "pods" -- and it should be fairly easy to close one of those off to be demolished. The tram extension will open up even more gates to be had in A. This, coupled with the article in the Houston Chronicle that says that CO is very low on customer complaints this year, and this Monday ain't half bad for CO!! ^

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/5679569.html
Old Apr 7, 2008, 8:16 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
I thought the Marriott Hotel was going to go - likely it is although no mention of that. Interesting in that Term B design will be similar to Term C.
Old Apr 7, 2008, 8:25 am

Programs: Continential Platinum, WPerks Platinum,Marriott Platinum, Starwood Platinum , Avis Chairman's Circle
Originally Posted by cova
I thought the Marriott Hotel was going to go - likely it is although no mention of that. Interesting in that Term B design will be similar to Term C.
About freaking TIME! B has been a dump for awhile... And about time they connected B with C (sheesh).

Now I hope that the PC club there is the best in the world after its refurbished.
Old Apr 7, 2008, 9:09 am

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver, Hertz 5*
Oh no!!! They mean... they're saying... no it can't be... It's IMPOSSIBLE!!! B84 will be no more!?!?!?!? NOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!
Old Apr 7, 2008, 9:29 am

Programs: Continential Platinum, WPerks Platinum,Marriott Platinum, Starwood Platinum , Avis Chairman's Circle
Originally Posted by notabob
Oh no!!! They mean... they're saying... no it can't be... It's IMPOSSIBLE!!! B84 will be no more!?!?!?!? NOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!
You just dont know how much I hate B84, might as well go to the Downtown Bus Terminal.
Old Apr 7, 2008, 9:36 am

Programs: UA Silv; Hyatt Plat, Priority Club, SPG G, HHonors G, Marriott S; Hertz 5*; AA, WN, Pan Am!
Originally Posted by tstrike
You just dont know how much I hate B84, might as well go to the Downtown Bus Terminal.
I think the problem is that most people on this forum know exactly how much you hate B84. I've even had the pleasure of hanging around down there until 3:45 am when they finally decided they weren't able to repair our aircraft, so it was finally time to send us to a hotel with vouchers and let us fend for ourselves the next day (the Monday after Thanksgiving).
Old Apr 7, 2008, 9:43 am

To their credit they've made B84 somewhat tolerable in recent times. Especially with the elimination of the bus boarding area, at least you're not blasted with the heat every time the doors open in the summer, and only one giant Sam's Club fan to cool down the holding cell.

It sounds from the published reports in the Chron that it's more of a renovation, and less of a knock it down and start from scratch that I'd hoped for.

If the Marriott does go, I hope any future airport hotel takes a cue from the Westin Detroit Airport at NW's terminal. Simply the finest airport hotel in North America with access to the terminal.

It'd be nice to see any future IAH airport hotel have a close direct link on the CO Terminal Link monorail, vs the "It's a Small World," train outside security and below the airport.
Old Apr 7, 2008, 10:00 am

Programs: Alas, the Gravy Train Hath Ended...just happy to be an OW Sapphire and a ST Ivory...whatever
Originally Posted by tstrike
... And about time they connected B with C (sheesh).
Uh...they are already.

http://www.houstonairportsystem.org/iahTerminals
Old Apr 7, 2008, 10:07 am

Programs: UA Silv; Hyatt Plat, Priority Club, SPG G, HHonors G, Marriott S; Hertz 5*; AA, WN, Pan Am!
Originally Posted by theblakefish
I think airside walkway connection was what was meant.
Old Apr 7, 2008, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by texd
I think airside walkway connection was what was meant.
Correct.^
Old Apr 7, 2008, 11:56 am

Everything makes sense but the price tag.

$1.2 billion?

The Detroit midfield terminal was built from scratch with full parking facilities and world class transportation system for that price -- not to mention tunneling in the middle of the airfield.

I'd chalk it to inflation but this sounds like a patchwork replacement of the satellites and some parking structures that will be "more like Terminal C" which was built in the 70s than Terminal E from just a few years ago. Not a full fledged international hub facility.

Terminal E got built ground up for a fourth the price.

Good to be a contractor in Houston soon.
Old Apr 7, 2008, 12:01 pm

Programs: CO-plat, SPG-plat
Originally Posted by notabob
How about incorporating B84 into the new terminal the way JFK kept the TWA terminal? That way, we can all stroll through and re-live good memories
Old Apr 7, 2008, 12:28 pm
mk1

Programs: KE Morning Calm; AA Plat
Here's the HAS press release.

$1.2 billion in improvements for Houston's George Bush Intercontinental Airport

Houston, TX (April 7, 2008) - The Houston Airport System (HAS) in partnership with Continental Airlines, today, announced details of a $1.2 billion renovation project at George Bush Intercontinental Airport (IAH), which will result in the expansion of the airport's Terminal B to 1.7 million square feet including the construction of a new Federal Inspections Services facility to handle the increasing number of international travelers.

George Bush Intercontinental Airport serves as the largest hub for Continental Airlines in the world. Terminal B is one of the airport's two original terminals and has been in service since 1969. Elements of this modernization plan include:

. Expansion of the Automated People Mover (APM) to include Terminal A.
. Refurbishment or rebuilding of the central Terminal B lobby and baggage
claim areas (to be executed in phases that will allow the continued use
of the facility during the renovation period.)
. A New South Concourse dedicated to domestic regional jet operations.
. A new international capable North Concourse for mainline and regional jet
flights
. New Terminal B Federal Inspections Services (FIS) facility
. North/South Ramp Replacement
. Parking Structure Expansion
. Infrastructure improvements (which include improvements to existing
roadway, signage, utilities and fuel storage systems)

According to Houston Mayor Bill White, this joint venture represents Houston's strong economy and healthy corporate environment.

"Houston's Airport System is among the world's strongest and fastest growing and this will help us keep it that way," said Mayor White. "And as we prepare for the future, the City is happy to continue its strong partnership with Continental Airlines."

The project, which is expected to begin later this year, represents a major economic commitment by the City of Houston and Continental Airlines.

"We're making this investment over the next decade despite challenges currently facing the airline industry," said Larry Kellner, Continental Airlines chairman and chief executive officer. "This project is critical to Houston maintaining its status as an international city. Developed in phases, this project will allow us to accommodate more passengers and more flights, provide new amenities for travelers and help secure the careers of our employees."

The multi-phased construction and renovation is scheduled to be completed over the next seven to 10 years and will increase the size of IAH's Terminal B from 360,000 square feet to 1.7 million square feet, and will make it larger than the size of Houston's state-of-the-art baseball stadium, Minute Maid Park.

"Houston continues to evolve as a premier global gateway in the aviation industry. Since 2007 we have added seven new international destinations served by passenger and cargo carriers, including Continental's new service to London's Heathrow," says Richard M. Vacar, director of the Houston Airport System. "Dramatic growth is fueling this airport and the Terminal B project represents part of our strategic planning and building effort aimed at making IAH a more compelling and attractive destination."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.