Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

CO President Plus World Mastercard Offer -- good deal?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CO President Plus World Mastercard Offer -- good deal?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2008, 1:35 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Originally Posted by ctownflyer
The travel bank card has got to be one of the crappiest credit cards ever.

Why would you want a card that gives you just a 1% rebate that must be used for travel on Continental???

Plus they even charge an annual fee for it!

There are so many better credit card options than that...
I have no annual fee, and set 5.99% interest. Plus I actually get 3% on my phone bills which is about 1000$ a month on the blackberry. I pay, and my company reimburses-free money.

I have over ten credit cards, and a superb credit rating. I know the cards that are out there but compared to the crappy chase world card I had the travel bank is outstanding. In just one month I got a "free" domestic US ticket. By the end of this month I will have another 200$ or so put in, to use whenever I want. Much better than reward miles, which I have enough of anyway, and which I earn through the travel I buy with travel bank.

With 100-200$ a month going into travel, I do better than earning miles on chase world.

Ciao,
FH
Old Jan 11, 2008, 1:45 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Bonvoy Gold
Anyone have the link for the $200 offer?
No link, I just called Chase and they told me about it. $200 off plus 20k miles after you spend $5k
Old Jan 11, 2008, 2:06 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by FlyingHoustonian
I have no annual fee, and set 5.99% interest. Plus I actually get 3% on my phone bills which is about 1000$ a month on the blackberry. I pay, and my company reimburses-free money.

I have over ten credit cards, and a superb credit rating. I know the cards that are out there but compared to the crappy chase world card I had the travel bank is outstanding. In just one month I got a "free" domestic US ticket. By the end of this month I will have another 200$ or so put in, to use whenever I want. Much better than reward miles, which I have enough of anyway, and which I earn through the travel I buy with travel bank.

With 100-200$ a month going into travel, I do better than earning miles on chase world.

Ciao,
FH
1. How did you get it with no annual fee?

2. It's not in the same category as a miles card at all, it simply gives a 1% rebate that must be spent on Continental, although a couple spending categories give 3%.

I'm positive that you can find a cash rebate card that does a better job than that, and will pay out cold hard cash...
Old Jan 11, 2008, 2:51 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
1. How did you get it with no annual fee?

2. It's not in the same category as a miles card at all, it simply gives a 1% rebate that must be spent on Continental, although a couple spending categories give 3%.

I'm positive that you can find a cash rebate card that does a better job than that, and will pay out cold hard cash...
you are missing the point!- compared to other CO cards the travel bank is best for me. With my spending I will get (and did the first month alone) ~$200US a month in travel bank cash. I use this for CO personal flights anytime, much better than miles. I have already purchased a ticket at no cost (unlike reward travel).

AND I already have three cash back cards. two American (USAA and Capitalone) and one European (Intesa). I don't need a cash back card when I get my CO travel money-which I only want to use on Co.

As for getting no fee, just call and deal with them. I never just send in applications, always call and make a deal with the credit department. For those with good credit it is easy as they want your business, especially these days.

I didn't say it was for everyone but for me I get 25-30 a month alone just on blackberry bills via travelbank. It works for me. The posters here seemed to want anecdotes about various cards/plans. I have given mine, everyone else is free to give theirs.

Ciao,
FH

Last edited by FlyingHoustonian; Jan 18, 2008 at 10:08 pm Reason: tried to add card link, not working now
Old Jan 18, 2008, 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by keithisme
I got an "invitation" from Continental to get their Presidential Plus World Mastercard. Features are:
* President Club membership giving free access to lounges
* EliteAccess priority (whatever that is)
* Non-expiring Flex Elite miles
* Hyatt Gold Platinum membership
* Avis President club (two car class upgrade)
* Double onepass miles on hotels, rentals and CO airlines tix

Annual fee is $ 375, but credited $200 for signing up soon.
20,000 bonus points after spending $10,000

Any thoughts on this "deal"? Is it a good deal compared to other current and past CO CC offers?
Do you have a promotion code? I called and they said they would be happy to help me but I need the promotion code that came on the letter.
Old Apr 14, 2009, 9:29 am

I just tried to upgrade my Hyatt Gold membership to platinum but the Hyatt agent keeps asking me for a promotional code. She claims that no such upgrade option exists for CO's Presidential Plus card-any idea of what the code is please?
Old Apr 14, 2009, 9:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA Priemier Gold
Originally Posted by manhattan92
I just tried to upgrade my Hyatt Gold membership to platinum but the Hyatt agent keeps asking me for a promotional code. She claims that no such upgrade option exists for CO's Presidential Plus card-any idea of what the code is please?
I believe the yatt agent is misinformed. It is simply a benefit of holding the PPMC that you are granted platinum level.

Search is still fubar, but they were talking about this in the fancy invitation thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/conti...-co-chase.html

around pages 24-25
Continental seems to have a lot of trouble with the Hyatt Platinum status (I had to work with a rep over 3 weeks who then told me to call the concierge who told me to call the hyatt people and supply a code to get it set up in the first place), so I'm not surprised that it's not sticking. Can someone from continental fix these issues once and for all?
Originally Posted by jonu
Just spoke with Hyatt GP. They claim that their terms with Chase specify that one stay a year is required to maintain Platinum status (even though this is nowhere on the web site).

Doesn't make sense...I had one stay last year with Hyatt and STILL got downgraded to Gold.

Paging CO Insider!

keep trying
Old Apr 14, 2009, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAPlat; *Gold; Hyatt Diam; SPG Plat; PWP goddess
Originally Posted by manhattan92
I called GP last wk & told the woman that I had a new PP MC, & she was able to upgrade my membership to Plat & it is reflected in my a/c info. when I log in now. She had to type in a 'reason' for the upgrade, & was talking as she typed in 'Continental Presidental Plus Mastercard'. So, you just need to get someone who will listen & act!
Good Luck!
Old Apr 14, 2009, 3:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 2.3 MM
Is the Chase CO PP card considered new card when one changes from a Chase CO World card? or is a transfer of account? TIA
Old Apr 14, 2009, 3:51 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Two ways to upgrade, from Chase World MC:

1. Open a new Chase PP World MC, you then have one of each active, then later cancel the original World MC - but you do not have to (but you would still be paying the $85 for the standard card). There is no transfer of balance. This is the route I had to go to upgrade since I have a lifetime PC membership already. That makes the card $100/year. I got a bonus of first year free, and 20K miles after the first year.

2. If no lifetime PC membership, then call your standard Chase World MC number and they can upgrade you. Your yearly fee will then increase from $85/year to $375/year. This phone number at Chase is not aware of the $100 offer for LT PC members. Not sure about balance transfer in this case.

I just received my new Chase PP card yesterday. I called AVIS to upgrade my AvisFirst account with the AVIS President's Club feature, which is 2-car upgrade. AvisFirst only gives 1-car upgrade, but you get a 2 day free rental after every 4 paid rentals of 2 days or more. You need to earn AvisFirst status (12 - 2 day rentals a year min., and no earning of airline miles to get the free day coupons).

I also called Hyatt. But since it has been a couple of years since I stayed, they could not upgrade me to Hyatt Platinum. Told - once I have a new stay they will upgrade me. However, Hyatt told me - that the Hyatt Platinum status upgrade was only for one year. After that you need to earn it. This was new info to me - but why bother - Hyatt Plat does not give you lounge access and I am sticking with Marriott as Marriott Plat - which is top tier.
Old Apr 14, 2009, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cova
Two ways to upgrade, from Chase World MC:

1. Open a new Chase PP World MC, you then have one of each active, then later cancel the original World MC - but you do not have to (but you would still be paying the $85 for the standard card). There is no transfer of balance. This is the route I had to go to upgrade since I have a lifetime PC membership already. That makes the card $100/year. I got a bonus of first year free, and 20K miles after the first year.

2. If no lifetime PC membership, then call your standard Chase World MC number and they can upgrade you. Your yearly fee will then increase from $85/year to $375/year. This phone number at Chase is not aware of the $100 offer for LT PC members. Not sure about balance transfer in this case.

I just received my new Chase PP card yesterday. I called AVIS to upgrade my AvisFirst account with the AVIS President's Club feature, which is 2-car upgrade. AvisFirst only gives 1-car upgrade, but you get a 2 day free rental after every 4 paid rentals of 2 days or more. You need to earn AvisFirst status (12 - 2 day rentals a year min., and no earning of airline miles to get the free day coupons).

I also called Hyatt. But since it has been a couple of years since I stayed, they could not upgrade me to Hyatt Platinum. Told - once I have a new stay they will upgrade me. However, Hyatt told me - that the Hyatt Platinum status upgrade was only for one year. After that you need to earn it. This was new info to me - but why bother - Hyatt Plat does not give you lounge access and I am sticking with Marriott as Marriott Plat - which is top tier.
My advice is to make sure that you ask to combine your credit line when you cancel the CO World MC & open the PP MC. That way you don't reduce your available credit.
Old Apr 14, 2009, 4:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K / IC RA/ Hilton Plat / Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by cova
Whoa this is news to me. I just signed up for the PP card a month ago, I don't think I'm going to renew past a year if benefits just start falling off.
Old Apr 14, 2009, 4:55 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by cobrax333
Whoa this is news to me. I just signed up for the PP card a month ago, I don't think I'm going to renew past a year if benefits just start falling off.
Nothing special about Hyatt Platinum - no lounge access - you need to be Diamond. I would not cancel the PP card over this. I don't plan to stay at Hyatt anyway.

The big plus for the card for me is the 25% mileage bonus for Elites, at only $15 more than the regular Chase World Card ($100 versus $85 for LT PC member).

On the credit limit - yes - when you have both they decrease the current card. Not a biggie anyway - I have other cards with high limits (or no limits). But I do not carry balances and even the one they gave me is way higher than I would ever spend. But yes - one should have limits combined. I also have the Chase Marriott Card for the 15 day bonus towards MR elite plus you get a free Cat 5 hotel night for the $65/year - the Marriott Chase card is a good deal.
Old Apr 14, 2009, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sounds like you are a 'pro' w/all the affinity program cards! Way to go!
Old Apr 15, 2009, 10:48 am

Programs: UA Silver; SPG Gold; Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by Mile-Hor
No link, I just called Chase and they told me about it. $200 off plus 20k miles after you spend $5k
What number did you call?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.