How do they compare?

Old Jan 8, 08, 6:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, QR, Flying Blue, AA.
How do they compare?

I am booked IAH-LGW on CO BF (2D). The return is CDG-IAH on AF "l'Espace Affaires" (2A). Anyone know how they compare in regards to comfort and service?
Old Jan 8, 08, 9:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
There have been a few threads on this recently and in general people seem to prefer AF. I have flown both recently and would definitely say that AF is better, in terms of the seat, quality of food / wine, etc. I believe they also have AVOD in business class on all aircraft now - can anyone confirm? What aircraft type are you flying on with AF? They operate both a 772 and 332 on this route.
Old Jan 8, 08, 9:09 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, United Plat
Originally Posted by DragonPhish View Post
I am booked IAH-LGW on CO BF (2D). The return is CDG-IAH on AF "l'Espace Affaires" (2A). Anyone know how they compare in regards to comfort and service?
Both are good so no worries for you.

For me, the seats are equivalent in comfort. The food is pretty good on both, although in different ways (the cheese on AF is more interesting, but I also like the pasta and pretzel rolls on CO). If quantity matters to you, it seems like there is more food on CO than AF. I'm wide enough already, thank you very much, so AF quantity is fine for me.

Key differentiators: the wine on AF is significantly better, and AF also has a better snack bar mid-flight (including macarons!). A nice thing on CO is that they don't roll the cart down the aisle for meal service.
Old Jan 8, 08, 9:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by star_world View Post
What aircraft type are you flying on with AF? They operate both a 772 and 332 on this route.

It is the 332. I booked 2A because it is bulkhead window. I thought it might be a little more private and easier to sleep.
Old Jan 8, 08, 9:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WineIsGood View Post

Key differentiators: the wine on AF is significantly better...
Funny you mention that. I was thinking this might be a plus on AF, and hoping. This will be my first trip with AF and I am really looking forward to it.

Thank you both for the info.

Last edited by DragonPhish; Jan 8, 08 at 10:39 pm
Old Jan 9, 08, 1:45 am

Programs: DL MM/FC/FO; UA PS; AA GLD
I like them both, but they are different, sorta like Houston and Paris. I know there is a at least one good thread on this because I have posted on it and it is fairly recent. If you find it, you'll be amazed at all the differing opinions. Both are nice, especially if you are on the Airbus.
Old Jan 9, 08, 2:16 am

Programs: UA Global Services, SPG Gold (lifetime), Marriott Gold, AMEX Plat, Hertz Gold
I agree with the posts thus far--however two things to consider:

Seats on AF are narrower than CO and the configuration of the 777 is 2-3-2 on AF in J instead of the 2-2-2 on CO. I don't know what the 332 configuration is.

I think the way CO does the dinner service is much better and I don't mind the 777 seat. The AF IFE is much better though.
Old Jan 9, 08, 2:28 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by DragonPhish View Post
Funny you mention that. I was thinking this might be a plus on AF, and hoping. This will be my first trip with AF and I am really looking forward to it.

Thank you both for the info.
I think it safe to assume that any other airline will, at a minimum, offer wine at least as good as that served by CO. They serve some pretty rot-gut stuff and it wouldn't take much to improve upon it.

To me, this is one of the most puzzling things about CO. They really emphasize the "soft" product, but then serve supermarket wines in BF. They could spend only a little bit more and see a big improvement in quality. And, judging by the premium wines in the PC, someone at CO seems to have some clue.
Old Jan 9, 08, 4:16 pm

Programs: CO Plat & MP 1K
Originally Posted by pbarnette View Post
I think it safe to assume that any other airline will, at a minimum, offer wine at least as good as that served by CO. They serve some pretty rot-gut stuff and it wouldn't take much to improve upon it.

To me, this is one of the most puzzling things about CO. They really emphasize the "soft" product, but then serve supermarket wines in BF. They could spend only a little bit more and see a big improvement in quality. And, judging by the premium wines in the PC, someone at CO seems to have some clue.
It seems that there is a strange management asymmetry. The liquor selection in BF (and for money in Y) is good but the liquor selection in the PC is horrible with no purchase options. We find the opposite wrt wine. So obviously someone who likes wine but knows nothing about hard liquor manages the PC purchases and the opposite for the flights!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: