Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Recommendations for off-airport parking at EWR

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Recommendations for off-airport parking at EWR

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2008, 5:08 am

A know this is a bit off-tangent, but I'm hoping readers of this post might be able to provide some information on this.

Due to a 'change in vehicle status', I'll no longer be parking up at EWR, but instead taking a one-way car rental, and dropping off at EWR (National).

A couple of questions:

1. I assume when I get of the NJ turnpike @ EWR, they'll be signs for car rental return. Is there a gas station I'll pass before I get there that I can top off the tank? Actually the plan would be to go to the terminal first, drop off the other 3 in my travelling party (and all the luggage), then have me return the car.

2. How much time should I plan for dropping off the car, and returning back to the terminal? I know when I was looking to park at the Economy lot (P5/6 ?), the estimate was 15-20 minutes.

Thanks. Flight is 4 days away and counting.

Jeff
Old Oct 13, 2008, 5:48 am

I would get gas before approaching the airport to drop off your companions. I don't believe there is a convenient station between the terminal and the car return. Also, you may as well get a few miles out of the fill up, the needle won't move down enough to notice. I suggest filling up before getting on the Tpke (depending on how far up it you are traveling) or the closest rest stop on it before the airport, or get off at 13A (if traveling North) or 15 (if traveling south) instead of Exit 14, and find a station on Rt 1/9 or in Newark (Rt 21) before going to the airport. Do you have a GPS to help you?

How much does National charge for one-way rentals? I use Hertz and there is no additional fee. Enterprise adds a $100 fee.
Old Oct 13, 2008, 11:06 am

Programs: Bonvoy-Gold, HH-Gold, UA-Gold, *A-Gold
Don't use Park2GO in Elizabath, they will damage your car then try to cover it up so you don't see the damage until you leave and then claim they never did anything, thus screwing you.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...eferrerid=5290

- HF
Old Oct 13, 2008, 1:34 pm

I'll be driving from Philly. With National, picking up at PHL is about $106; in Cherry Hill, about $92. The return trip (picking up at EWR) is about $82, so about $180 +/- $10. Considering we were looking at $120+ to park our own car, that's not too bad.

I know when I've driven from Key West for a return flight at FLL, I was able to top off the tank in an intermediate (Pontiac G6) right before getting on the FL Turnpike, and still have the needle be on 'F' at FLL (about 68miles I think). It's about 77miles from my house to EWR, that could be pushing it, especially since we'll have a fullsize car. It's economy won't be as good, but maybe it will have a bigger allowance between a topped-off tank and still remaining on 'F'.

Jeff
Old Oct 13, 2008, 5:15 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
If you fill up on the Turnpike at the Grover Cleveland Service Area between 11 and 12 Northbound and exit at 13A for EWR, it's unlikely the needle will move.

The Service Area is a MP 92.9 and Exit 13A is at MP 101.6, less than 10 miles.

We do a slightly shorter distance southbound (8 miles and we've never had a problem with National.)

Funny, when the wif'e car went off lease, it turned out to be cheaper for us to rent at EWR and MSY than to have a second car at EWR with car payments, insurance, maint, airport parking, etc. It's a recent thing that's working well.
Old Oct 13, 2008, 5:24 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
Originally Posted by jwhite4
A know this is a bit off-tangent, but I'm hoping readers of this post might be able to provide some information on this.

Due to a 'change in vehicle status', I'll no longer be parking up at EWR, but instead taking a one-way car rental, and dropping off at EWR (National).

A couple of questions:

1. I assume when I get of the NJ turnpike @ EWR, they'll be signs for car rental return. Is there a gas station I'll pass before I get there that I can top off the tank? Actually the plan would be to go to the terminal first, drop off the other 3 in my travelling party (and all the luggage), then have me return the car.

2. How much time should I plan for dropping off the car, and returning back to the terminal? I know when I was looking to park at the Economy lot (P5/6 ?), the estimate was 15-20 minutes.

Thanks. Flight is 4 days away and counting.

Jeff

To answer your other questions:

There are overhead signs for the Rental Car Return.

Unless you have an inordinate amout of baggage, just go to National, return the car, and take the Skytrain from P3 to Terminal 3 for CO. Less time overall than droping everyone else off at the Terminal and then meeting them to check-in, clear TSA and all.
Old Oct 14, 2008, 8:30 am

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
Gas station near EWR airport.
Get off the airport exit (13A from Southbound) from turnpike and follow Rt 1/9 South. It will pass the airport hotels and you will see a bunch of gas stations immediately after the first light (on either side of roadway). Simply, fill up, make a U-Turn (actually need to be in the right lane to cross over to the NorthBound) and drive the 2 miles back to the airport where you will see signs for rental car return.

There are also a bunch of fast food restaurants if you intend to grab a bite before the flight.
Old Oct 15, 2008, 3:32 pm

Adequate travel time to EWR?

I'd like to run by my EWR schedule past everyone, to see if I have enough time (my times are backwards, sorry):

9:45am - flight departs (note - Int'l to Nassau)
8:15am - get to terminal: assume 1h30 min for checkin, clear security, get to gate
7:45am - exit turnpike: assume 30min to drop car off, return to terminal
6:15am - leave house: Mapquest shows 71mile, 1h23 travel time (up PA & NJ turnpikes)

Are these times sufficient (and at these times on the morning), for what I have listed? Two other things which might add time:

1. Gas - I'm going to completely top the tank off before starting the drive, but if the needle drops below F, I'll need to stop and add a bit of gas.

2. Bumping - the flight looks tight: yesterday (T - 3), it wasn't listed for sale, and 1 seat available when looking at sxeat map. Today (T - 2), 1 seat was for sale, with 4 showing open. If I wanted to offer to be bumped (and there are 4 of us in my party, I know that doesn't help), how soon should I be at the gate? I'm thinking agents get to the counter maybe 45 min before the flight. If so, would I need more than 45min to checkin, clear security, and get to my gate?

Thanks.

Jeff
Old Oct 15, 2008, 3:38 pm

That sounds fine for a Saturday or Sunday departure, but add a little more buffer for a weekday, especially if you are going to Terminal C, extra-especially for Monday. Also, add a bathroom break time to your 1.5 hour ride to EWR - with four people in the car someone is going to need a stop.
Old Oct 18, 2008, 1:53 pm

An update - everything worked fine. Let a few minutes after 6:00am, got to car rental place a little before 7:30am. I didn't think traffic on NJ turnpike was bad at all.

I topped off the tank (in a Dodge Avenger which already was on 'F') the night before. Amazing, got almost 4 gallons into it, so the needle was still above F when we returned the car at the National lot. The tram to the airport was very convenient (though my older mother didn't like the long walk).

Overall, things when very well. Plus we each got $500 in CO travel vouchers because our booked flight was oversold. Can't beat that.

Thanks to everyone who replied.

Jeff
Old Oct 31, 2008, 10:35 am

Programs: AA EXP (One World Emerald), Hilton Gld, Marriot Slvr
Originally Posted by craz
the main question is what do U pay per day? ABC is $10 with the tx, and coupon from longtermparking.com

SkyPark is $8 with the tx as long as you hand them a Biz card with your name on it and yes she did look at my CC and made sure the name was the same, could be with Ca$h they might ask for a license,

EZ is $8 a day plus tax plus a $4 fuel surcharge for their van also with teh coupon from longtermparking.com

Most here are interested in parking for the least amount that will provide decent drop-off & pick-up service as well as not us ethe car in a demolition derby
Any recommendations on a SELF PARK facility with INDOOR parking?

Thanks,
Old Dec 17, 2008, 12:47 pm

Programs: NWA Platinum, HHonors Diamond, SPG, YX, AA
Any updates on where to park near EWR? What about hotels with a good stay and park package.

Driving down from CT in late Janauary for a trip to BZE
Old Dec 17, 2008, 12:51 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by PHL_roadwarrior
Any recommendations on a SELF PARK facility with INDOOR parking?

Thanks,
outside of The Hilton Hotels parking garage (keep in mind its completely open on all sides) so its sort Indoor but not completely covered and save from teh elements. I believe that everything else at EWR is Outdoor = Uncovered.

Do give FastTrack a call maybe they do , its the old AviStar and I HATE that outfit. also it wont be cheap as ABC is the cheapest and thats $10 aday Outdoors ai
Old Dec 17, 2008, 12:54 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by MKEbound
Any updates on where to park near EWR? What about hotels with a good stay and park package.

Driving down from CT in late Janauary for a trip to BZE
EZWAY at the Crowne Plaza (old 4 Pts) is the cheapest @ $8 + tx , need the coupon off of www.longtermparking.com

I never found any real cheap P&F rates at EWR, not that I need it but checked time to time whenever I needed the Stay or night credit

Last edited by craz; Dec 17, 2008 at 1:21 pm
Old Jan 18, 2009, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

FYI, ABC has a Jan/Feb coupon on their website for $8/day.

They're still good, right?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.