Recommendations for off-airport parking at EWR

Old Feb 5, 06, 4:02 pm
Original Poster

recommendations for off-airport parking at EWR?

I am going on a 2+ week trip later this year, originating at EWR. As you can see from my profile, I am not from the area; in fact I've never flown out of EWR before. Anyone have an off-airport parking lot they like which is both safe and inexpensive?

I was also considering driving up to Metropark, parking there, and taking the train to EWR. Thoughts on that would be appreciated as well.
Old Feb 5, 06, 4:30 pm

Programs: Onepass, Skymiles, Worldperks, Hilton HHonors Silver, Mariot Rewards
Perhaps you should look into taking the Acela to EWR? It might work out cost wise plus you save yourself the stress of batteling up I-95. If your starting from the NYC area of course that's not an option. Right now Amtrak is offering double rewards on Acela trips.
Old Feb 5, 06, 10:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gradvmedusa
Perhaps you should look into taking the Acela to EWR? It might work out cost wise plus you save yourself the stress of batteling up I-95. If your starting from the NYC area of course that's not an option. Right now Amtrak is offering double rewards on Acela trips.
Thanks for the suggestion. However, I don't think it'll work out here for a couple reasons:

1. Amtrak schedules don't sync up with my trip times very well. I would end up having to overnight in Newark on the return (my flight returns around 9 PM and the last southbound train from Newark Airport leaves at 8:57 PM).

2. In terms of cost (my main reason for asking the question), I believe the combined cost of a train ticket plus parking at wherever I catch the train, would exceed the cost of parking at either an off-airport lot or Metropark plus the cost of driving from DC to NJ.

You're definitely right that it would be a more comfortable trip, though. Even despite the slightly higher cost I would definitely consider it if the times worked better.
Old Feb 5, 06, 10:52 pm

Programs: CO Gold; SPG Gold***; AvisFirst;
Originally Posted by crhptic
Thanks for the suggestion. However, I don't think it'll work out here for a couple reasons:

1. Amtrak schedules don't sync up with my trip times very well. I would end up having to overnight in Newark on the return (my flight returns around 9 PM and the last southbound train from Newark Airport leaves at 8:57 PM).

2. In terms of cost (my main reason for asking the question), I believe the combined cost of a train ticket plus parking at wherever I catch the train, would exceed the cost of parking at either an off-airport lot or Metropark plus the cost of driving from DC to NJ.

You're definitely right that it would be a more comfortable trip, though. Even despite the slightly higher cost I would definitely consider it if the times worked better.
You can take any train one stop to Newark (not the Airtrain station) and catch later trains back.

As to cost, that'd depend on how long you'll be parking.
Old Feb 5, 06, 10:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mbreuer
You can take any train one stop to Newark (not the Airtrain station) and catch later trains back.

As to cost, that'd depend on how long you'll be parking.
About 15 days. It seems there are a couple of off-airport lots near EWR in the $9/day range. Metropark is $5/day. The train ticket would be about $180 roundtrip.
Old Feb 5, 06, 11:48 pm

Programs: Active: AA, UA, DL
I use ABC Parking. Go to Google and look it up. It costs $8/day, has valet service, and is 5 minutes away from EWR. Way better service and a better deal than using EWR's economy parking.

- Pat
Old Feb 6, 06, 1:02 am

Programs: AA Splat, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Explodist, IHG Splat
I use ABC parking a lot, but watch out if you're coming in/out on a Sunday night, which is when the dance club on the site is packed and the lot is a total clusterf*ck. still, $8/day is a deal, cheaper than a cab from where I am by a long shot if it's under ten days. the lot seems secure but what do I know...

take 1/9 south to the Dowd/North exit, right on North, and you'll see the sign. watch out for giant craters in the entry driveway. hey for $8 a day don't expect much, but they're prompt about picking you up at the airport. I've never waited more than 15 minutes.
Old Feb 6, 06, 12:43 pm

Smile

There are 2 hotels near the airport - Four Points Sheraton & Best Western that include 10 days - 2 weeks parking with overnight stay. Hotel Stay is about $ 129.00 - parking is free.

Max

Originally Posted by crhptic
I am going on a 2+ week trip later this year, originating at EWR. As you can see from my profile, I am not from the area; in fact I've never flown out of EWR before. Anyone have an off-airport parking lot they like which is both safe and inexpensive?

I was also considering driving up to Metropark, parking there, and taking the train to EWR. Thoughts on that would be appreciated as well.
Old Feb 6, 06, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike...
Programs: CO, NW & UA forum moderator emeritus
Since learning of them here, we've used ABC a few times. The price, $8/day, is rock bottom and the service is great!
Old Feb 6, 06, 5:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by maxrcruz
There are 2 hotels near the airport - Four Points Sheraton & Best Western that include 10 days - 2 weeks parking with overnight stay. Hotel Stay is about $ 129.00 - parking is free.

Max
Four Points - $130, includes 7 nights
Best Western - $135, includes 10 nights
Each add'l night $8+tax at both

This per hotel reservations departments today.
Old Feb 6, 06, 5:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by xyzzy
Since learning of them here, we've used ABC a few times. The price, $8/day, is rock bottom and the service is great!

Sounds good..I think that's where I'm headed. Thanks all for the advice.
Old Feb 6, 06, 5:47 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime 1K (MM), AA Lifetime Platinum (MM), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond,
Not bad.......and an SPG stay to boot if you are one short of Platinum!!!! I use Skypark at $7.00 a day but I'll file this away in my mind.

Thanks

QUOTE=maxrcruz]There are 2 hotels near the airport - Four Points Sheraton & Best Western that include 10 days - 2 weeks parking with overnight stay. Hotel Stay is about $ 129.00 - parking is free.

Max[/QUOTE]
Old Feb 6, 06, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike...
Programs: CO, NW & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by CUSTOMDIRECT
I use Skypark at $7.00 a day but I'll file this away in my mind.
How is SkyPark? I've never used them. Do you park yourself and schlep to the desk or do they park your car? Does the $7 include tax? Does everyone get the $7 rate or is that a special deal? ABC is in Elizabeth and charges no parking tax so $8/day is all you pay.
Old Feb 7, 06, 9:40 am

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Plat for Life, SPG Plat, United Silver, given up on Skypesos for good
Just used ABC for the second time. Timely and friendly service and the $8 is actually $8 (no extra City of Newark parking tax). Avoid Mr. Bs unless you want to pay more; not get the free car wash they offer; and if its a TSA shift change, be on an overstuffed delayed bus.
Old Feb 7, 06, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I passed by ABC the other day when I had to drop some people off at EWR, the lot appeared to be getting full, as they are getting known.

I suggest that if you plan on parking there to call 'em and make a res so that you wont get there and be turned away.

I dont know how many spaces they have or if they were ever completely full. It shouldnt have any effect on the rate as they will want to be at least $1 cheaper then the 4 Points which is $9 Right now.

Happy to see that many people followed my Advice with using ABC and are as Happy as I am with them.

Search this Thread