Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

"Wine bar" question - wine for sale at the PC

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Wine bar" question - wine for sale at the PC

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2007, 6:09 am

Programs: UA GS, Amex Centurion, UA 1MM
Originally Posted by stc
Because most good wine tastes like crap at 35k feet?

And because the wastage would be a lot. These wines aren't going to be good the next day if a bottle isn't finshed. And having 3 open bottles in 3 lounges (or 6) is a lot different than having dozens or hundreds of open bottles (1 in each plane).

If they charged every BF seat an extra $5....I'd figure they could make up for any wastage that you are speaking about and make A LOT of people much happier and end this debate once and for all....Even on a 752 16 x $5. =$80. and could account for 4 bottles being wasted at the end of the flight!

Originally Posted by farenthold
Actually, I think crap wine tastes good at 35k feet.

A lot about wine is the emotion when drinking it. At 35K feet in my First Class seat, I’m feeling pretty good about my free upgrade, big seat, and complimentary state of the art ear conforming headphones.

Perhaps that’s why the screw top wine in the back tastes so much worse?
I agree, it is about emotion to a certain extent, but crap wine at sea level still tastes like crap at any altitude.....but there are a lot of very fine wines with screw tops....so dont be dissin' those screw tops! The real point is that there are a multitude of much better wines in the $10 - $15 segment than CO currently stocks in its "BF cellar". And maybe we can only hope that if this experiment is successful in the PCs, CO can see a demand from its clientele for good quality wine....(But they could never charge for it in BF, IMHO)
Old May 21, 2007, 6:48 am
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
Actually, I think crap wine tastes good at 35k feet.

A lot about wine is the emotion when drinking it. At 35K feet in my First Class seat, Im feeling pretty good about my free upgrade, big seat, and complimentary state of the art ear conforming headphones.

Perhaps thats why the screw top wine in the back tastes so much worse?
Well, taste is subjective. I can drink most white wines in the air but find most red wines especially delicate expensive ones taste off - things like Shiraz and Red Zinfandel fare better. If I have the choice, I pick Champagne or Sparkling wine. It is possible the increased gasses in the wine help somehow or maybe that is just emotionl on my part.

That being said, I connected MXP-EWR-BOS on Saturday and they had the premium wines for sale in terminal A and I almost bought a glass of one of the reds, but had been up for about 16 hours already and had another 8 to go, so I passed.
Old May 25, 2007, 5:25 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, United Plat
Have I mentioned that I love the premium wine program in the PCs? Am enjoying a glass of Far Niente right now
Old May 25, 2007, 5:43 pm

Programs: UA GS, Amex Centurion, UA 1MM
Originally Posted by WineIsGood
Have I mentioned that I love the premium wine program in the PCs? Am enjoying a glass of Far Niente right now
Didnt see that one two days ago at EWR Term A. How much did that cost?
Old May 25, 2007, 6:06 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, United Plat
Originally Posted by saccoNY
Didnt see that one two days ago at EWR Term A. How much did that cost?
It's at IAH for $12
Old May 27, 2007, 11:04 pm

Programs: CO-Platinum; Amex Platinum; SPG-Gold; Peasant with AA, & WN, Hotels: PH, KC, OM, HH, MC, HI(IN) & JD
Champagne

Yea, I miss the old days when ALL first Class flights had Champagne. I remember when they'd hand you a glass as you boarded widebodies... even domesitcally.

Heck, I miss the days Mexico flights had Champagne. (I took pride in finishing off the bottle singlehandadly DFW - GDL on AA.. goitta get my money's worth for that $25 sticker upgrade)

I even had a silver tray with about 6 glasses of Champagne spilled on me on AA once. Y'all could spill on me annually if an airline would bring the Champagne tradition back.
Old May 28, 2007, 5:00 am

Programs: CO Plat & MP 1K
Yea, I miss the old days when ALL first Class flights had Champagne. I remember when they'd hand you a glass as you boarded widebodies... even domesitcally.

Heck, I miss the days Mexico flights had Champagne. (I took pride in finishing off the bottle singlehandadly DFW - GDL on AA.. goitta get my money's worth for that $25 sticker upgrade)

I even had a silver tray with about 6 glasses of Champagne spilled on me on AA once. Y'all could spill on me annually if an airline would bring the Champagne tradition back.
One time years ago when I was AA Gold I was the only one in F flying into MSY from some domestic place, I can't remember. The FA in F and I spent the whole time talking and visiting and at the end of the flight he gave me a bottle of champagne and some other wine in a paper bag to take home! My husband was very suspicious. Those were the days ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.