Community
Wiki Posts
Search

1st 738 w/ In-seat Power

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2007, 2:22 pm
Original Poster

1st 738 w/ In-seat Power

According to a quality post on a.net, the first 738 with in-seat power is about to be re-introduced to the fleet. It will have power ports from first class back through the exit rows and, IIRC, they will be the same "normal" 3 prong connectors now available on the 752s.

Thank you CO!

^ ^

Last edited by MBM3; Apr 21, 2007 at 2:29 pm
Old Apr 21, 2007, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA-2MM; GalacticXpress-Irridium
YES!!! Great news.

Maybe I'll be more productive now. Not.

Thanks CO!!
Old Apr 21, 2007, 3:25 pm

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Good news indeed!

Now if we can only get the inflight internet setup.

...and on that note, WN is planning on installing prototypes by Q12008 for onboard internet.
Old Jan 18, 2008, 11:15 am

I flew on one of these the other day PHX-EWR. I had no idea it had power, but one of the FAs saw me using a laptop and pointed out the power port under my exit row seat. After fiddling around in the dark under the seat I got my regular AC adapter plugged in and my computer seemed to have no problem getting enough wattage out of it. I was able to work the entire flight, which was great (it also helped that nobody was in the middle seat next to me).

Big ^^^ to CO for installing them and to the FA for pointing them out (otherwise I never would have noticed).

Now if only there was a way to know in advance which flights have it and which don't...
Old Jan 23, 2008, 4:15 pm
Company Representative, United Airlines

Originally Posted by themicah
Now if only there was a way to know in advance which flights have it and which don't...
Hi themicah, with only a handful of 737-800s installed with in-seat power so far, there's no easy way to know. We currently have a total 4 737-800s installed with in-seat 110v power outlets in First Class and in the Main Cabin up to and including the exit row (row 14). For those of you wanting to track this by aircraft number, it's installed on ships 229, 280, 284 and 290.

Last edited by UA Insider; Jan 23, 2008 at 4:20 pm
Old Jan 23, 2008, 5:07 pm

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Originally Posted by CO Insider
For those of you wanting to track this by aircraft number, it's installed on ships 229, 280, 284 and 290.
Do all CO planes have the same first two numbers after the N in the tail number? Is it possible to know the tail number for particular flight?
Old Jan 23, 2008, 6:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Section 107
Do all CO planes have the same first two numbers after the N in the tail number? Is it possible to know the tail number for particular flight?
No, and yes if you try hard enough. You won't get the number until you see the plane (or if you call CO and they tell you). It isn't always the last 3 digits, but it is part of the N number. It is also on a plaque on the back of the cockpit door, which you won't see until they close up for takeoff. Not sure where else it is noted on the planes.

S.

edit to add: I also updated the FAQ to note this in the "entertainment" section (post #40).

Last edited by sbm12; Jan 23, 2008 at 6:58 pm
Old Jan 23, 2008, 6:56 pm

Actually, it is always the last three digits of the N number that make up the "tail number". You can also find the three digits on the nose gear doo - easily visible from the gate. Compare it to the N number and you'll find that it's consistantly the last three digits.
Old Jan 23, 2008, 6:58 pm

Programs: UA 1MM
Originally Posted by sbm12
No, and yes if you try hard enough. You won't get the number until you see the plane (or if you call CO and they tell you). It isn't always the last 3 digits, but it is part of the N number. It is also on a plaque on the back of the cockpit door, which you won't see until they close up for takeoff. Not sure where else it is noted on the planes.

S.
Look for the airworthiness certifcate located above the door as you enter the aircraft.
Standard Airworthiness Certificate
What is a standard airworthiness certificate?
A standard airworthiness certificate (FAA form 8100-2 displayed in the aircraft) is the FAA's official authorization allowing for the operation of type certificated aircraft in the following categories:
Normal
Utility
Acrobatic
Commuter
Transport
Manned free balloons
Special classes
Old Jan 23, 2008, 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by pptp
Actually, it is always the last three digits of the N number that make up the "tail number". You can also find the three digits on the nose gear doo - easily visible from the gate. Compare it to the N number and you'll find that it's consistantly the last three digits.
I don't think it is always the last three. I swear there are some planes where it is the middle digits (though I can't think of any off-hand).

On a similar note, why is CO the only major US carrier that doesn't put their initials in the airplane registration number? UA's planes mostly end in "UA" with the plane number being the 3 digits in the middle. DL uses DL or DE(lta). US is US or AW/HP for the US West planes. JetBlue has JB at the end of most of theirs, though B6 would be more appropriate.

Why doesn't CO do this? No, it doesn't really matter, but it is "different" for no apparent reason.
Old Jan 23, 2008, 8:03 pm

Hmmm...I don't know. I'm a plane geek but that's a little beyond my geek level.
Old Jan 23, 2008, 8:10 pm

Hmmm...I don't know. I'm a plane geek but that's a little beyond my geek level.
Victory is mine
Old Jan 23, 2008, 8:15 pm

Hang on...looks like anyone can request to reserve an available N number from the FAA. It can be any 5 digit alpha-numeric number that isn't already taken. Reserving a number costs $10. Apparently an airline would have to reserve a range of numbers that they would need in the future for new AC and renew the requests annually. As to why CO chooses not to append CO to their numbers, looks like it's option that they could use, but choose not to.

Next question?

Last edited by pptp; Jan 23, 2008 at 8:23 pm
Old Jan 23, 2008, 8:21 pm

Next question?
Why didn't CO do this? Is the $7,500 annually (for 1000 planes ending in "CO", ~250 of which they'd actually use so they wouldn't pay the $10 on) really a deal-breaker?
Old Jan 23, 2008, 8:37 pm

Alright, got me there.

Wait, wait...the numbers can't contain the letters I or O due to their similarity with the numbers 1 and 0. So CO is out of the question. If not that, then what?

CA wouldn't work either since there are only 28 numbers available that end in those letters. Someone must already be using them.

Last edited by pptp; Jan 23, 2008 at 8:48 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.