Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tricking Co.com seat assignment tool

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2007, 9:35 am

Programs: UA MP
Originally Posted by Seat1A
i remember tricking the website when i was a NW elite, and the CO site didn't recognize NW elite status yet. (i posted my method, too, so you should be able to find it with search..) once i got the seat, it stuck, because the main CO res system recognized my status.. it never worked for exits, tho -- it would change the selection on the web page to show me in the exit seat, but hitting continue or selecting the next flight would return an error that the seat couldn't be assigned. (the fact that i couldn't get a seat i wasn't entitled to made me feel alright about posting the method..)

edit: i just tried a dummy booking, and was able to grab 5F on a 737 without any status at all, using the same method i posted here in 2002. i didn't buy the ticket, so i have no idea if it would stick long term, but i got through the seatmap, and checked expertflyer, which showed the seat occupied.
What if you tried to grab 1F instead of 5F? If that works, then people can give themselves guaranteed EUAs.
Old Apr 19, 2007, 10:36 am
Original Poster

I wouldn't recommend that anyone try to cheat the system. I've alerted CO and as far as I know they'll be working on a fix. I'm just a lowly OnePass member and I plan on keeping those Elite seats clear for the people who earned them!
Old Apr 19, 2007, 11:29 am

Programs: DL Gold
Originally Posted by DH77024
What if you tried to grab 1F instead of 5F? If that works, then people can give themselves guaranteed EUAs.
This would not work. If you recall on the seat map page, the first class cabin is a separate seat map. If you are purchasing a coach ticket, you will only see coach seats. Selecting 1F via javascript would not work.

I also highly doubt that the seatmap page totally relies on JavaScript. If the linked thread is the exploit the OP of this thread is talking about, I would be quite surprised (and disappointed in CO's software developers). It worked in the linked thread because the user *should* have been able to select that seat by business rules; the page just didn't recognize that he was elite because he was a NW elite. (i.e., it was a bug workaround, not an exploit, per se)
Old Apr 19, 2007, 11:57 am

Programs: UA MP
Originally Posted by mwarden
This would not work. If you recall on the seat map page, the first class cabin is a separate seat map. If you are purchasing a coach ticket, you will only see coach seats. Selecting 1F via javascript would not work.

I also highly doubt that the seatmap page totally relies on JavaScript. If the linked thread is the exploit the OP of this thread is talking about, I would be quite surprised (and disappointed in CO's software developers). It worked in the linked thread because the user *should* have been able to select that seat by business rules; the page just didn't recognize that he was elite because he was a NW elite. (i.e., it was a bug workaround, not an exploit, per se)
Yes you are correct--I tried to nab a FC seat in the coach seat map and this technique did not work.
Old Apr 19, 2007, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by mwarden
After playing with it a bit it does appear that a seat selection just using the JavaScript exploit worked all the way through a reservation (of course I did not pay). But the site remembered my selection (so it was put into session) so I am a little disappointed in the developers, but not surprised. Exploits on client side code are easily found and used.
Old Apr 19, 2007, 3:23 pm

Programs: UA, Delta, SPG, MAR
not sure if this is the same issue. i was making a reservation for me and my wife 3 days ago. i was using a certificate so i had to book separately. she is gold elite and i assumed i would have to call the elite line to get her in the emergency exit seat next to me, but when i tried to select 14F (738) for her it worked just fine. i was logged into her non plat OP account. i am wondering if the restriction is not working at this time....
Old Apr 19, 2007, 5:11 pm

const3, not the same issue at all - in fact, not even a bug. Golds are supposed to be able to select exit seating. (As are Plats; just not Silvers or non-elites.)
Old Apr 19, 2007, 5:38 pm

Programs: UA, Delta, SPG, MAR
Originally Posted by yellow77
const3, not the same issue at all - in fact, not even a bug. Golds are supposed to be able to select exit seating. (As are Plats; just not Silvers or non-elites.)
i thought it was just plats. i never really noticed. thanks.
Old Apr 19, 2007, 11:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
All of those seats become available to anyone and everyone at the 24 hour online check in mark anyway. I guess that wouldn't apply if the route actually had enough elites pre-selecting seats but I wasn't seeing that happening... even now I'm not gold and still manage to snag an exit row at the 24 hour mark nearly every time.
Old Apr 20, 2007, 8:00 am

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Originally Posted by dvs7310
All of those seats become available to anyone and everyone at the 24 hour online check in mark anyway. I guess that wouldn't apply if the route actually had enough elites pre-selecting seats but I wasn't seeing that happening... even now I'm not gold and still manage to snag an exit row at the 24 hour mark nearly every time.
Yeah, this is really a non-issue since Continental doesn't enforce the "elite" seats in any meaningful way like United does for example.

What I usually do now is try to put myself in the last open row in the "elite" seating area. So I still have a place to plug in my laptop, but hopefully when the computer fills in the stragglers from the front, I won't have anyone next to me.
Old Apr 20, 2007, 8:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
I hope you have a different method than I do; I'll be some PO'd if you screw up my method
Old Apr 20, 2007, 7:36 pm

Programs: UA nothing (former multi-year CO Platinum), AA 1M Gold, HH Diamond, National Executive
This is Really Bad....

I have a reservation for a travelling companion who is non-elite. I was planning to call and get them moved to the exit row with me, which I have done many times. The PNR was booked separate from mine. I was able to go to the CO website, log out of my account, access the travelling companion's PNR without being logged into any frequent flyer account, and change her seats to exit row aisle. This is for a flight over a month from now. A slight change was required in the javascript vs. what has been posted, but it is not hard to figure out.

Given how long it will likely take CO to fix this, maybe the moderators should delete this thread....
Old Apr 20, 2007, 11:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Originally Posted by LordHamster
Yeah, this is really a non-issue since Continental doesn't enforce the "elite" seats in any meaningful way like United does for example.
Likely because United is the only domesic airline that has actually created a premiun product worth protecting. UA has had E+ for some time now, I'm really surprised no one else has copied it yet. I would think CO would be the perfect one to try this.
Old Apr 21, 2007, 7:19 am

Programs: Amex Centurion
I hope CO Insider or someone else from Continental is on this. As an EWR- based Gold, elite seating is one of the few benefits I get any more (since upgrades are virtually nonexistent for me).
Old Apr 21, 2007, 7:52 am

Programs: riding the lifetime status. DL MM / AA MM
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
I hope you have a different method than I do; I'll be some PO'd if you screw up my method
your profile lists you as platinum. why do you need a method of tricking your way into elite seats?

Originally Posted by Flyer737
Given how long it will likely take CO to fix this, maybe the moderators should delete this thread....
i'll say the same thing i say about my posts on the AA board related to a huge hole in their upgrade process: the day an FTer beats me to a seat using one of these tricks, i want to buy that person a beer at the admirals club. (i know, that's a pretty hollow offer when y'all get free drinks in your clubs, but hey, it's what i've got these days... )

you've got an extra bonus on the CO board -- they really do see what's said here, and as a result, you'll get closer to having a truly fair system over time. i've posted numerous times on the AA board about a specific method of bypassing the upgrade list, and i doubt anyone at AA has seen any of it.... (and, fwiw, my initial post detailing a specific method of grabbing CO elite seats has been on this board for nearly five years. don't worry, this thread will be off the front page soon enough....)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.