Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to keep my Silver Elite Status

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2007, 12:45 pm

How can I get my old life back? Reading posts here twice or more a day is routine tasks of my life. :-(

Originally Posted by Bonehead
Welcome to the insanity. Your life will never be the same.
Old Jan 24, 2007, 1:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by JNB71
How can I get my old life back? Reading posts here twice or more a day is routine tasks of my life. :-(

I thought everyone just kept FT opened in a browser window like me
Old Jan 24, 2007, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by JNB71
Only twice or more?! Some of us are stuck on continuous.
Old Jan 24, 2007, 2:37 pm

Feel a little better about my miserable life of miles and points. Sorry for my in-diligency to the sites.

Originally Posted by xyzzy
Only twice or more?! Some of us are stuck on continuous.
Old Jan 24, 2007, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
icydog, are you going to be flying in 2008? I just wonder if you're not doing much flying, why do you want to retain your silver status?
Old Jan 24, 2007, 2:58 pm

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Hey Marylyn,

If you just want the softcore benefits of elite status (that's essentially elite access) have you considered the Chase Presidential Continental Credit Card?

It gives you elite access and access to the PC for ~$400/year.

Plus: no excess flying, retain 'blue carpet' benefits
Minus: it's Chase, no upgrades...but as a Silver is that a loss?

Hope that helps
Old Jan 24, 2007, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by ContinentalFan
icydog, are you going to be flying in 2008? I just wonder if you're not doing much flying, why do you want to retain your silver status?
Chicks dig it.
Old Jan 24, 2007, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by Bonehead
Chicks dig it.
Chicks like these?
Old Jan 24, 2007, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by ContinentalFan
is right.
Old Jan 25, 2007, 6:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, MRP Platinum, Marriott Vacation Club Chairman, SPG Platinum, Cunard Platinum,
Originally Posted by xyzzy
PHL is a different market, with different fares. Compare EWR-SEA with PHL-SEA, for example. From PHL you can route through IAH and it generally costs a lot less as well. Why? WN is there... Similarly, check out the difference in fares between EWR-IAH and JFK-IAH. Different airports mean different options. If you go PHL-IAH-FLL, for example, you'll get more EQM than just EWR-FLL. We're talking 1065EQM vs. 2290EQM each way.
What do you mean WN is there? So if I travel for many more hours on my regular trips I can get to Elite quicker but will cost more in most cases because of the extra stops. Is that what you are saying?
Old Jan 25, 2007, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by icydog
Who knew!!! what an idea. MR I never heard of a Mileage run before 10 minutes ago. I started reading and will have to study more before I try this. Thanks guys!
My 2 cents: MR's are not only insanity, they're a way for the airlines to just pump money out of you because of the obsession that develops with these frequent flyer programs.

I certainly would never spend one penny more on air travel than I need to. After all, to me the benefit of a ff program is that, as a result of my loyalty, I spend less money not more on air travel.

Also, the less time I spend traveling period the happier I am.

As others have said, the benefits of OP Elite Silver (especially at EWR) are so minimal, I don't think it's worth it to go out of your way to retain it.

I have given up my elite status on CO and I have noticed virtually no difference.

I still do OLCI (on line check in). I don't have access to the elite security line, but I have found that the peon security line is actually usually quicker because they have many more stations operating.

I don't have elite access boarding, but at EWR that's well over half the plane, so unless you're one of those people who rushes to the front of the line, there is very little benefit. If you're one of those people who boards the plane with a huge roller suitcase, then the blue carpet is a real benefit. But I always have a small carry on.

I don't have access to upgrades anymore, but since I went 0 for 26 in the last 2 years anyway (as an OP Gold), that's not much of a loss.

And, finally, I don't have the 25% premium added to my miles, but with reward tickets so difficult to book that's also not a major issue.

The bottom line is that CO--understandably perhaps--has tailored the program to primarily benefit its top-tier elite flyers. That's fair enough. So if you don't fly 75,000 miles a year, the tangible benefits really are very hard to identify (especially for those based at EWR).

I think you for someone in your category (flying less than 25,000 miles a year) you will find you will get much more value and enjoyment flying by simply picking your airline based on the cheapest fare and--if it's important to you--the comfort of the coach cabin (low cost airlines like jetBlue, Southwest and Frontier all have far more comfortable coach cabins than CO).

Don't waste your time or your money.
Old Jan 25, 2007, 6:58 am

Programs: nada
Originally Posted by icydog
What do you mean WN is there? So if I travel for many more hours on my regular trips I can get to Elite quicker but will cost more in most cases because of the extra stops. Is that what you are saying?
Yes, southwest doesn't really have much NYC area presence. Thus, without WN to drive down the market on NYC-SEA, it is much more expensive than PHL-SEA (something like 230 vs 160 pretax IRRC)

As for flying out of PHL, as sort of mentioned before- it forces a connection unless you are going to houston, making your trip include more miles through a less than optimal routing (from CO's standpoint)

The second part of your question--on a few markets, it actually costs LESS to fly with the connection and added miles/flight times. SEA, SLC and PDX are prime examples. I'm flying EWR-SLC in a few weeks for 330 all in, but I could have had it LGA-IAH-SLC for far less than that (275 maybe?)
One additional expense for the stopovers is taxes/fees and such that are usually $20 a segment or so.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.