Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

recieved fancy invitation today for a $375 a year-"Pres Co/Chase

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

recieved fancy invitation today for a $375 a year-"Pres Co/Chase

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2006, 11:08 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Weatherboy
I wish CO would dump Chase all together and just pick a better bank partner that could provide a better overall customer experience.
CO used to be teamed with (I believe) Merchantile Bank. I had such a CO card at one time. I am not sure what caused the switch to Chase - but it likely was a better deal with more income to CO.
Old Nov 30, 2006, 12:03 pm

Programs: WN Rapid Rewards, DL SkyMiles, UA MileagePlus, HiltonHonors
I got my CO-branded VISA back in the days that the card was issued by HSBC (I think HSBC sold off all of its U.S. credit card business). The old card had a photo image of a CO A300 on it.

I concur with others that this new card has some enticing benefits, but ultimately doesn't offer enough to compete aginst AMEX Platinum. And while I haven't had any true horror stories with Chase, I did have a difficult time getting them to send me some of the intitial VISA Signature card perks. Not surprisingly, I havent been too impressed by what I've seen of Chase. CO could probably do better.

OTOH, Platinum Travel Service (PTS) from AMEX has been disappointing, too. My experince has been that credit card banks seem to over-promise and under-deliver, which I find somewhat surprising since its such a lucrative business. They seem to put more effort into marketing for new customers rather than keeping their current ones.
Old Nov 30, 2006, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
I haven't looked -- how does the automatic (no extra fee per ticket/rental) travel/car rental insurance of this card compare with that of the Amex Platinum card?
Old Dec 2, 2006, 7:28 am

Programs: UA GS & MM, UC Lifetime, Hertz Prez Cir, HH Dia, Marriott Plat
Trip cancellation insurance?

Anyone know how the automatic trip cancellation insurance included with the card compares to the bare-bones Access America cancellation insurance offered when you buy a ticket at continental.com? Obviously the Access America coverage includes interruption protection which the card does not. But may be worth $5-10 per ticket as a benefit...
Old Dec 2, 2006, 10:41 am

Programs: CO Platt,Hilton Dmnd,Marriott Platt,Hertz Presidents Circle,Avis Preferred Select
I received the card when I got home yesterday. Marketing did their homework; fantastic packaging, heavy blue outside envelope with a paper seal. The first thing you see when opening it is a letter from Larry. I discounted this card as a viable offer for me immediately, and here is why. The card's annual fee is offset by a free Presidents Club membership. But my company pays for these type of expenses, and there is no way for me to break the cost out for a personal credit card. Continental should reduce the cards annual fee and let their customers worry about the PC fees. If they do that I would be more inclined to sign up for the card.
Old Dec 2, 2006, 3:26 pm

Programs: OnePass Plat
To me, missing Elite next year, the primary advantage over Plat AMEX would be the eliteAccess benefits. I'm not missing something with Plat AMEX about this am I? Plat AMEX just offers the PC membership, correct?

Also it seems that I would have access to the PC as well as the affiliate clubs regardless of whom I am flying with even if it AA, correct?
Old Dec 2, 2006, 3:37 pm

Programs: UGS, AA CK
Originally Posted by castle
I thought it was a Seasons Greetings card before I opened it.
i thought the same thing. was bummed to see it was only a credit card offer.
Old Dec 3, 2006, 10:50 am

Location: SWUSA / AA PLAT, SPG PLAT, AMEX CENTURION, HHONORS Diamond
I predict this caed will be a lukewarm success, if that. Not unlike the Diner's Club "MONTAGE", which sent out a fancy offer...and died in a death spiral almost everyone predicted in the DC threads years ago.

Chase/CO do not seem to give much credit to the astuteness of affinity point-living crowd...we all know how to analyze the core value of the perks, and this one is not very well endowed.

Not to mention CO makes using said Nonepass points a real chore..and plays such games w/ availability as to make it a poor decision for me (personally) to ever accumulate CO Nonepass points until I need them...then I move them over from Amex's MR program. Rarely these days will I ever charge on an airline-spcific ccard and get boxed in w/ miles that inly work for that given airline.

P.S. To the poster several back - Continental's affinity bank partner in the late 90s used to be an excellent bank Marine Midland, which, acording to wickipdia, was "absorbed" (ok, bought) by HSBC in 1998. Not sure timing or how CO detached from HSBC and then first aligned w/ Chase. I agree w/ several posters above - I don't trust Chase myself and won't use this card ever again (though I still keep it active).

Last edited by ILUVCITIBANK; Dec 4, 2006 at 4:58 am
Old Dec 3, 2006, 10:57 am

Not to mention the limited audience that they are catering this new card to will probably limit its popularity.

Has anyone reading this thread applied for one yet?
Old Dec 3, 2006, 11:29 am

Programs: HHonors Gold
Not An Easy Upgrade

I went ahead and bit the bullet...Simply because I have the CO Word MC, and I was going to purchase a PC club membership anway, so financially it was a little a savings to go with this offer.

However bewarned, the "upgrade process" w/ chase is no where near as seamless as with Amex.

1. Called the Number on the Link posted by CO Insider, the CSR said that she could not do it (upgrade from CO Word MC), and gave me another number to call.

2. Call #2 number, the CSR had never heard of this card, put me on hold

3. Was transferred to a Supervisor who also didn't know what the card was, he put me on hold so he could go and ask. Finally came back and said it was done and everything would transfer and that I should get the card next week, so we will see.

Took about 25min
Old Dec 3, 2006, 1:44 pm

Did you get the $75 waiver on your annual fee since you were upgrading? I am kind of on the fence about this card, while I know I would like the benefits, I have the Co biz card as well as the WC for personal use. Annual fee just hit for the WC card.
Old Dec 3, 2006, 2:55 pm

Programs: WN Rapid Rewards, DL SkyMiles, UA MileagePlus, HiltonHonors
My wife received an application last week. She's Silver Elite. I guess I didn't get an application since our CO Chase VISA is in my name (???)

Anyway, the ad comes wrapped in a textured, deep blue cardstock that's definitely fancier than the usual credit card offer. But with a computer generated address label (albeit in cursive script) and the Continental name and logo in the return address corner, its hard to mistake as personal mail. Also, the inside of the envelope (it's really more of a multi-folded "wrap") is printed with a stylized version of CO's route map printed in grey and white. I found it interesting that the IAH and EWR hubs are cearly present in the handsome graphic, but somehow CLE didn't make the cut...

Like others, I don't see this card posing much of a threat to AMEX Platinum. I'd drop my Plat. card for a better deal, but CO/Chase's latest card just doesn't offer enough.
Old Dec 3, 2006, 4:49 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Rawhide
Did you get the $75 waiver on your annual fee since you were upgrading? I am kind of on the fence about this card, while I know I would like the benefits, I have the Co biz card as well as the WC for personal use. Annual fee just hit for the WC card.

Yes, the supervisor told me that I would get the $75 waiver.

However that also is a "wait and see" since chase is involved. In my experience with them, problems only arise when you ask for something to be changed on your account, so if this goes though without incident I will be surprised.
Old Dec 6, 2006, 9:07 am

Programs: UA Silver; SPG Gold; Hyatt Platinum
If you're going to get this card, and do not have a CO Mastecard, is there any reason not to sign up for the World MC, get the bonus miles, and then transfer over to this card?
Old Dec 6, 2006, 9:57 am

CO and Chase will have to bump up the benefits on this cards to compete with AmEx Plat, which seems to be the target user. Silver Elite status would probably do it and that really doesn't give away too much from the OnePass Elite program since Silvers are rarely upgraded.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.