Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EUAs are nice but I feel CO should do more

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2006, 2:20 pm

I really don't understand posts like this. I could't give a sh*t about recognition. The best recognition for my $$ spent on CO, would be a constantly improving product. Not some ego stroking that gives me some silly rush of self importance
Old Oct 19, 2006, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kommissar Giga-Posting Direktor, PWP; Fasano Nouveau Aristocrat; CO Platinum; BD Gold; MR Gold
Originally Posted by ssullivan
That is really sad. Where/when do you usually fly?

As a gold this year, I had 24 upgrades out of 40 flights with a first class section, or upgraded exactly 60% of the time. Since becoming a platinum, I'm 10/10, or 100%. None of those flights were on Northwest.
I'm at nearly 75% as a Gold (I avoid transcons, though).
Old Oct 19, 2006, 3:08 pm

Programs: UAL 1K MM, AA Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hertz President's Circle, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by ssullivan
That is really sad. Where/when do you usually fly?

As a gold this year, I had 24 upgrades out of 40 flights with a first class section, or upgraded exactly 60% of the time. Since becoming a platinum, I'm 10/10, or 100%. None of those flights were on Northwest.

I fly out of EWR and mostly transcon, all different dates (weekends/weekdays, Sat. mornings/mid-week/all different times)... I have used miles to upgrade when I can b/c I have not been getting EUA's this year. Up until 2006 it was another story though. It is starting to really p*** me off. And I always use the OLCI and I'm usually SEQ 1-3. I have 4 flights booked this year and will be booking more so I will keep my fingers crossed....
Old Oct 19, 2006, 6:00 pm

Programs: UA 1MM but covet Qatar Q-Suites
Originally Posted by rapopoda
I really don't understand posts like this. I could't give a sh*t about recognition. The best recognition for my $$ spent on CO, would be a constantly improving product. Not some ego stroking that gives me some silly rush of self importance
I appreciate that many FTers don't care one bit about the recognition or "prestige" that other people associate with elite membership. However, this concept has real power, rooted deep in our psyche.

If the airlines didn't think anybody cared about the status or prestige that they feel by being Elite members, they'd not name their tiers "Silver/Gold/Platinum" or "Premier/Premier Exec/1K" etc. They wouldn't throw words like "Executive [Platinum]" (AA's top tier) or "Chairman's [Preferred]" (US's top tier) into the mix, if they didn't think those words would resonate with Chairmen & Executives or people who aspire to be them. No, if there was no "ego stroking" necessary in life and no one wanted to feel "self important", then the programs would all have tiers called 1,2,3 or A,B,C.

But that's simply not smart, as human beings respond very actively to seek ego strokes. (Ask any psychologist; they'll tell you that all of us are "stroke deprived".) So, if an airline program can give me a label that strokes my ego every time I see it printed on my boarding pass, or displayed on My Miles page of their site, or spoken to me by an employee at a res center, then they'll most definitely do it. They stroke me, and I give them more of my business to get even more strokes in the future.

How could we explain the success American Express has had with their varying Amex cards: Green/Gold/Platinum/Centurion? Why are the cards produced in metalic colors in order of ascending value? Amex has been widely reported as creating newer, higher-level cards to respond to people who want more prestige, not just because people want more benefits.

In sales, the maxim is that people buy from people they like, and people like people who make them feel good about themselves. Further, people make buying decisions emotionally first, and only then find intellectual reasons to justify their decisions.

FWIW, I'm off to NRT in November to make Platinum for 07. I have no need to go to NRT, I just like to be Plat. (Exit row booking would be real nice, too.) But I also don't have the $$ to go to NRT. Thats's where my Platinum Chase Continental Card comes in.
Old Oct 19, 2006, 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by CALfly5
I appreciate that many FTers don't care one bit about the recognition or "prestige" that other people associate with elite membership. However, this concept has real power, rooted deep in our psyche.

If the airlines didn't think anybody cared about the status or prestige that they feel by being Elite members, they'd not name their tiers "Silver/Gold/Platinum" or "Premier/Premier Exec/1K" etc. They wouldn't throw words like "Executive [Platinum]" (AA's top tier) or "Chairman's [Preferred]" (US's top tier) into the mix, if they didn't think those words would resonate with Chairmen & Executives or people who aspire to be them. No, if there was no "ego stroking" necessary in life and no one wanted to feel "self important", then the programs would all have tiers called 1,2,3 or A,B,C.

But that's simply not smart, as human beings respond very actively to seek ego strokes. (Ask any psychologist; they'll tell you that all of us are "stroke deprived".) So, if an airline program can give me a label that strokes my ego every time I see it printed on my boarding pass, or displayed on My Miles page of their site, or spoken to me by an employee at a res center, then they'll most definitely do it. They stroke me, and I give them more of my business to get even more strokes in the future.

How could we explain the success American Express has had with their varying Amex cards: Green/Gold/Platinum/Centurion? Why are the cards produced in metalic colors in order of ascending value? Amex has been widely reported as creating newer, higher-level cards to respond to people who want more prestige, not just because people want more benefits.

In sales, the maxim is that people buy from people they like, and people like people who make them feel good about themselves. Further, people make buying decisions emotionally first, and only then find intellectual reasons to justify their decisions.

FWIW, I'm off to NRT in November to make Platinum for 07. I have no need to go to NRT, I just like to be Plat. (Exit row booking would be real nice, too.) But I also don't have the $$ to go to NRT. Thats's where my Platinum Chase Continental Card comes in.
I certainly don't deny that the phenomenon exists, it just seems so sad in many manifestations
Old Oct 19, 2006, 7:00 pm

Programs: CO Platinum, AA Platinum, SPG Platinum, Amex Plat,HHonors Gold, Leader - Leading Hotels of the World
Couldn't agree more.

Indeed. Or why would we add all the programs that we FTers are, um, elites? Status. I can tell you -- as someone who relies on the perks of these status levels, they not only do make me feel good but yes, make sure that I do REPEAT business with the service providers.
Old Oct 19, 2006, 7:09 pm

You have to pick your FF program based on what you percieve as the benefit most important to you. I always felt the UG's were the most significant benefit to me. It trumped all others: early boarding, elite line (espeically after the advent of WWW), speedy baggage handling (OK not consistent). I therefore switched to NW were I get 100% UG as a Plat. Well almost 100%. Missed one this year and of course they gave me the 1,000 mile bonus for missing the UG ( now that's apreciation). I voted ( after 20 years as a CO ff most of those elite) with my wallet and have never looked back. Do fly CO from time-to-time, including this week when I was stranded at IAH.

I don't by CO's hype. I always laugh at the welcome video when kellener says one of the most comfortable airlines..Co has the hardest Y seats in the industry accoriding to my butt .

Also while FC is slightly better on CO it is at the margins. I want the big seat, more leg room, and overall comfort. I show my appreciation by flying NW they show there's by getting my butt into FC seems like a fair deal all around.

Last edited by otralot; Oct 20, 2006 at 8:26 am
Old Oct 19, 2006, 7:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, UA Million Miler

Very well written! ^
Old Oct 20, 2006, 1:04 pm

Programs: Quintessentially Elite, Amex Cent, UA* Lifetime Plat (2mm+), AA CK (6mm+)
Thumbs up

Flying CO, for me, has been a pretty decent experience, as they've treated me well and practically kept me in the front cabin 100% this year.

That being said, i was recently comped into the upper tier of AA's system and have been putting some of my business with them. AA has more efficient (but not friendlier) cabin crews and i actually prefer their fleet of MD-80s to CO 737s. I know, i must be insane. It's something about the seat being more comfortable for longer hauls.

This year alone, i've done 147,000 EQMs with CO. While it's not a real badge of pride for me, as it's mainly a testiment to the time i've had to spend away from loved ones, it is a decent chunk of business that i'd like the airline the recognize. A higher-tiered system is the only way to go on Continental's part at this point if they intend on keeping their top elite from heading to greener pastures. They can't afford to keep devaluing their program.

They can start by handing out systemwide upgrades... It's one of the best things about being an AA ExPlat.

For now, i'll continue flying with CO. I'm generally happy. My luggage isn't lost. My glass is always full. The team at SAT is incredible. Things could be a whole lot worse...

BN
Old Oct 20, 2006, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kommissar Giga-Posting Direktor, PWP; Fasano Nouveau Aristocrat; CO Platinum; BD Gold; MR Gold
Originally Posted by BenjaminNicholas
Flying CO, for me, has been a pretty decent experience, as they've treated me well and practically kept me in the front cabin 100% this year.

That being said, i was recently comped into the upper tier of AA's system and have been putting some of my business with them. AA has more efficient (but not friendlier) cabin crews and i actually prefer their fleet of MD-80s to CO 737s. I know, i must be insane. It's something about the seat being more comfortable for longer hauls.

This year alone, i've done 147,000 EQMs with CO. While it's not a real badge of pride for me, as it's mainly a testiment to the time i've had to spend away from loved ones, it is a decent chunk of business that i'd like the airline the recognize. A higher-tiered system is the only way to go on Continental's part at this point if they intend on keeping their top elite from heading to greener pastures. They can't afford to keep devaluing their program.

They can start by handing out systemwide upgrades... It's one of the best things about being an AA ExPlat.

For now, i'll continue flying with CO. I'm generally happy. My luggage isn't lost. My glass is always full. The team at SAT is incredible. Things could be a whole lot worse...

BN
They do have an additional tier - Chairman's Circle. Fly 300k EQM's or become CEO of a Fortune 100 company and perhaps you'll earn it.
Old Oct 20, 2006, 6:25 pm

Programs: UA 1MM (former 1K, Delta Platinum))
Originally Posted by BigPoppaCO
[..] well written!
I'd give up all of the ego strokes I've gotten in the last month for some editing (shortening) of quotes in this thread!
Old Oct 20, 2006, 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by Syzygies
I'd give up all of the ego strokes I've gotten in the last month for some editing (shortening) of quotes in this thread!
How's this:

I'd forgo my last 30 days of ego strokes for shorter quotes in these threads.

Old Oct 21, 2006, 12:08 am

Programs: Hilton D, UA 1MM LT 1K-, LT UAClub, DL MS, DL 1MM, Former LT PClub, CO Infinite Elite
Continental free upgrades

Originally Posted by mollyhatchet
Continental already gives FREE upgrades!
MollyHatchet, Co is selling most domestic first class seats at full "Y." While these look free, that is the going price on CO for first.

Second, while the promise to Plat OnePass (and NW Plat) is to release "some" seats 5 days prior to the flight for discount fare tickets, in practice, in most markets that I fly, no seats are released until the day of departure, if any are left. Since I seldom get upgraded, I suspect there are none left.

Empty seats have no value. I have often gotten "old" veggies either steeply discounted or free. The stores I frequent smile when I walk in and I always get the best service in the store, even for small purchases.

In addition to the failure to release seats, CO has moved many flights of up to nearly three hours to CO express, where "everybody is first class!" No upgrades there!

Gord is gone
Old Oct 21, 2006, 12:26 am

Programs: Hilton D, UA 1MM LT 1K-, LT UAClub, DL MS, DL 1MM, Former LT PClub, CO Infinite Elite
Originally Posted by TLVorbust
I agree with the school of thought that says that when checking in, either online, at kiosk, or with agent, provide a free drink coupon, if not upgraded.
Northwest WorldPerks does it right - Plats are "guaranteed" an upgrade. When it doesn't happen, they get an extra 1000 miles (not EQM) for the flight. Not much, but appreciated. NW also has a shorter max for "express" flights still and many still have first class cabin.
Old Oct 21, 2006, 12:47 am

Lounges in NRT

Too bad you won't be getting access to any lounges in Tokyo (NRT) terminal 2. Elite Plus and Presidents Club members must fly out of NRT terminal 1 to get lounge access.

Continental decided 1/1/06, without notice (they are very quick to point out that they have that right) to exclude economy class PClub members from the affiliated lounge (bus class px are invited to the JAL bus class lounge - only first class gets the JAL first class lounge) in terminal 2. Their argument on the sitiuation is that they ahve the right to reduce services as they want to PClub members. Apparently, that includes exclusion. If I hadn't already trusted them and bought a lifetime membership, I wouldn't touch any Continental or Delta lounge purchase.

CO has never invited any elite plus FF flying economy.

Gord is gone.

Last edited by ContPlat; Oct 21, 2006 at 12:47 am Reason: Error

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.