Wiki Posts
Search

New quest... [To avoid RJs]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2006, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by CO 1E
I think the AVROs are retired now, or will be retired shortly.
Perhaps, but I did fly one a few weeks ago.
Old Sep 20, 2006, 2:01 pm

They are certainly not yet gone, but they will be soon. NW is skimping on the cleaning budget by the smell of the ARJs, though, which suggests they have to be offloading them soon before they become a health hazard.

I seem to remember that early 2007 was the end for NW's ARJs?

Edited to add: Wikipedia (link) says that all ARJ flying is now out of MSP and DTW, not MEM, and MSP flights will cease 10/31/06, with DTW flights ceasing either 12/15/06 or 12/31/06 (different dates quoted in different places in the article). The ARJs are being sold to a European carrier, IIRC.

Last edited by yellow77; Sep 20, 2006 at 2:09 pm
Old Sep 20, 2006, 11:43 pm

On most airlines, I have to fly RJs out of and into CMH to catch connecting flights. I don't mind it so much because it takes less time to board and deplane. Everytime I fly, one segment in a one way trip is usually an RJ.

RJs are hard to avoid unless I fly Southwest (which I don't)

Last edited by FlyerInCmh; Sep 21, 2006 at 12:11 am
Old Sep 21, 2006, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by I Love Middle Seats
I've flown on RJs 291 times this year.

26 3:00-3:59
2 4hrs and more
I'm just curious which RJ flights are this long?

And isn't 4 hours of flight time right at the limit of the 145's range?
Old Sep 27, 2006, 8:41 am

Programs: Absolutely No Status Whatsoever
Originally Posted by TWA Fan 1
I'm just curious which RJ flights are this long?

And isn't 4 hours of flight time right at the limit of the 145's range?
Block time, including time sitting on the ground during delays.

4:05 YYZ-IAH
3:42 YYZ-EWR (not a typo)
Old Sep 27, 2006, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by I Love Middle Seats
Block time, including time sitting on the ground during delays.

4:05 YYZ-IAH
3:42 YYZ-EWR (not a typo)
Got you. It reminds me a little bit of what happened to TWA's former hub at STL after the takeover (pillage) of TWA by AA.

AA dropped almost all the mainline at STL, and it was possible to fly transcon on AA, through STL, on RJ's the entire trip.

Although there was a stopover, this meant close to 7 hours in an RJ.

Things have improved slightly since those drak days although precious few of the terrific hard-working professionals of TWA have ever seen another's day work since with AA.
Old Sep 27, 2006, 8:55 am

Programs: CO Gold, UA Premier Exec
Got you. It reminds me a little bit of what happened to TWA's former hub at STL after the takeover (pillage) of TWA by AA.

AA dropped almost all the mainline at STL, and it was possible to fly transcon on AA, through STL, on RJ's the entire trip.

Although there was a stopover, this meant close to 7 hours in an RJ.

Things have improved slightly since those drak days although precious few of the terrific hard-working professionals of TWA have ever seen another's day work since with AA.
There is no TSA or CHQ rj that can make it from the west coast to stl without being weight restricted to about 10 people (excluding go jets). From where on the west coast were they flying? The furthest they go I thought was DEN or ABQ
Old Sep 27, 2006, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AEpilot76
There is no TSA or CHQ rj that can make it from the west coast to stl without being weight restricted to about 10 people (excluding go jets). From where on the west coast were they flying? The furthest they go I thought was DEN or ABQ
You're right. But it's still a lot of time in an RJ for passengers connecting through STL from the East Coast.

Here's an example of EWR-DEN via STL:

AMERICAN AIRLINES OPERATED BY AMERICAN CONNECTION/CHAUTAUQUA 5307 EWR
Newark 09/28/2006
10:45 AM STL
St Louis 09/28/2006
12:30 PM ERD Economy
View Seats 873 N/A

AMERICAN AIRLINES OPERATED BY AMERICAN CONNECTION/TRANS STATES 5479 STL
St Louis 09/28/2006
01:55 PM DEN
Denver 09/28/2006
03:25 PM ER4 Economy
View Seats 781 N/A

6 hr
40 min
Old Sep 27, 2006, 10:02 am

Programs: Alas, the Gravy Train Hath Ended...just happy to be an OW Sapphire and a ST Ivory...whatever
And if you have to fly an NW RJ, how about the Avro-85, with its spacious cabin, and 16 FC seats? It's the quietest plane in the sky and it has the unique feature of having no reverse thrusters on its engines.
I had the chance to fly one of the AVRO's MEM-OKC one day, and although they follow NWA's standard of old, kinda-ratty airplanes, I did like the non-divided cabin and the large number of FC seats...there were more people in FC than in Y!

BTW: Didn't I see a ERJ flight this Summer IAH-NAS that approached 3:45? It doesn't seem to come up this winter, so maybe there were too many complaints about it....I can't imagine starting/ending a vacatgion with such a long RJ flight. That being said, I have said many times that I prefer an A side seat in a RJ to almost any seat in Y on a 73x. Of course, almost all of my flights are in Texas, so they are 1:20 at most...

Last edited by theblakefish; Sep 27, 2006 at 10:03 am Reason: Add: YEA! My 800th post!!!
Old Sep 27, 2006, 11:09 am
myk

Programs: Hilton Diamond, JetBlue Mosaic
Originally Posted by FlyerInCmh
On most airlines, I have to fly RJs out of and into CMH to catch connecting flights. I don't mind it so much because it takes less time to board and deplane. Everytime I fly, one segment in a one way trip is usually an RJ.

RJs are hard to avoid unless I fly Southwest (which I don't)
Or NWA with mostly DC9 and Airbus 320s.... to all 3 hubs

Or Delta to ATL on an MD88 or 737, or LAX on a 737

Or United to ORD on a 737

You really DONT need to be on an RJ if you don't want to from CMH =)
Old Sep 29, 2006, 10:56 pm

Originally Posted by myk
Or NWA with mostly DC9 and Airbus 320s.... to all 3 hubs

Or Delta to ATL on an MD88 or 737, or LAX on a 737

Or United to ORD on a 737

You really DONT need to be on an RJ if you don't want to from CMH =)
You're right! I guess I have those options, but since I don't mind RJs, I usually take them anyway.
Old Sep 30, 2006, 7:06 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, AA LTP 2MM
In 2005 I flew 31 segments on CO metal, of which 26 were ERJs....
Old Nov 30, 2006, 4:37 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: Tucson, AZ, USA. UA 1K, reluctant but * best in class * DL FO/MM. Former BA jumpseat rider and scourge of Dilbertian management and apologists. As LX might - and do - say: "....an experienced frequent flyer of international airlines"
Originally Posted by redtailshark
..to minimize RJ segs for upcoming travel. I would like to fly fewer than 5 during the forthcoming qualifying year.

RTS
Well, I was doing OK with this program until I discovered I had to fly back from YVR to TUS. My choice was stark: non-SkyTeam on real jets, or DL RJ. EQM vs. a modicum of "comfort". Hmmm.

And then one CO 735 sector was downgauged to RJ. I had carefully concocted the itin to avoid this in the first instance, but there's not much to be done now. CO CSR: "Reason for rebooking RQ, don't like RJ...hmmm. Not in manual, no can do.." Or can you?

So far, of the approx. 75k BIS miles I have booked for the first half of '07, I have kept the toothpaste tube torture to four segs. But I don't see how I can avoid at least one more during the second half of the year.

RTS
Old Nov 30, 2006, 5:28 pm

Programs: Marriott-Plat, Hilton-Silver
I don't mind the RJR's, I usually fly them from EWR-RIC..One thing I don't miss is the Prop planes used from FLL/PBI-Nassau..Do they still use them? Or are they using RJR's? Haven't been on those in awhile...

Boy those were an adventure on a stormy day...
Old Nov 30, 2006, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: La Ministreuse de Surréalisme, CO Plat, MR Plat, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by jdls22
I don't mind the RJR's, I usually fly them from EWR-RIC..One thing I don't miss is the Prop planes used from FLL/PBI-Nassau..Do they still use them? Or are they using RJR's? Haven't been on those in awhile...

Boy those were an adventure on a stormy day...
I did the prop plane FLL-Nassau a year ago but haven't done it since then so not sure what they're doing. I try to avoid RJs at all costs, though on some routes it's unavoidable.

I fly IAH-OMA about every month and take the one flight a day that's a 737 - which puts me in at 11:10 p.m. and leaves at 7:40 a.m. I then have a lovely three hour drive, so it's insanity at best, but it still beats a RJ.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.