Wiki Posts
Search

From RDU to Australia

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2006, 7:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA(EXP), BA, Hilton, Starwood
From RDU to Australia

So, my wife is getting a post doc in Brisbane and I'm trying to figure out how best to get our family (me, wife, 3 children ages 11, 8, 5) for pretty cheap.

I have around 400K Amex points that I can convert into CO points at, as I understand it, 1:1. So as I read it that makes 2 business class and one economy seat. Which leaves two childs seats to buy.

We need to head out after Xmass but before Jan/10 and come home around August.

I cannot make this work on their website and the agent I called basically said "duh."

Thoughts?
Old Sep 11, 2006, 7:47 pm

IIRC, there are only two seats per flight available for OnePass members - or maybe even all of the Qantas partners. As such, I believe you are going to have a challenge using OnePass miles to get yoru families to Oz.
Old Sep 11, 2006, 7:49 pm

Sign up for a QF frequent flier account and search through there. Other option is to get a CO award via GUM to CNS and then buy a ticket to Brisy from there.
Old Sep 11, 2006, 9:05 pm

As umguy said, it may be easier for you to get a reward ticket with CO Mike through Guam and into Cairns. The connection times for those flights are actually very good, but you would have to fly RDU-IAH-HNL-GUM-CNS-BNE. That's a lot of connecting, RDU-IAH-LAX-BNE looks a lot better. I haven't had any experience with QF rewards from CO, but everything that I've heard supports the above claim that Qantas only releases two business seats per flight for CO mileage rewards.

You also have the option of using a mix of DL and KE. You could see if RDU-ATL-ICN-BNE is doable with CO miles, but it might get pretty pricey. A third option would be an award on EVA through TPE.

Unfortunately, those three airlines (QF, KE, BR) are the only three Continental partners that fly to Australia westbound. If you really don't mind flying, you could also try EK's service JFK-DXB-SIN-BNE or JFK-DXB-SYD and then buy a flight to Brisbane.

Best of luck to you and please keep us updated as to how it's working out, I am saving up my OnePass miles for a trip like this too.
Old Sep 12, 2006, 7:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by OptionsCLE
but everything that I've heard supports the above claim that Qantas only releases two business seats per flight for CO mileage rewards.
And what you've heard is hearsay. As mentioned above, the absolute easiest way to discover QF FF seats is to get a FF account with them and use their search engine. I'm not saying that there will definitely be availability, but that's how you find out.

S.
Old Sep 12, 2006, 7:29 am

Programs: QF Plat, BD*S, Hertz 5
QF trans-pac award flights are rare as hen’s teeth. this is QF's major earning route and they are the only one flying direct with a decent service (UA has not recovered sufficiently to consider them unless it is an amazing deal). NZ via AKL is a worth a look.

i had a brief look at award bookings for the month of Dec and whilst early in the month economy fares are available i can't find any J fares. note only i looked for one seat.

if you can, don't go QF go AA. QF has huge award fuel fines and you often have a better chance at an award booking through AA.

LA to SYD one way on QF is 48,000 and about AUD$400+ in fees. AA is less by about 10%.

That said, across the pacific 3 months out from Christmas....

sorry mate but you have not much hope on a oneworld carrier. keep looking though, this airline game is fickle at times.

ps. if you are from RDU. GO PACK!
Old Sep 12, 2006, 9:52 am

Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)
As somone who has successfully redeemed OnePass miles for JFK-LAX-MEL-SYD-LAX-JFK in QF FC, I can tell you the following.
QF allocates 2 FC seats per flight (usually). There are many posts of people successfully getting two. There are at least 4 BC class seats per flight, again many posts.
You MUST look on the QF site and book at least 330 days out. The QF FF folks get first dibs between 360 and 330 days out. Thus, they snap up most of the available seats, ESPECIALLY those around the holidays. I would say that a non-QF member's chance of a free seat at that time of the year as virtually zero.
After the QF folks are done, at about 330 days, then CO, US, AA and others enter the fray for the leftovers. It is not impossible, just diffficult and you need a looooog time horizon.
Its still the best use of OnePass miles out there.
Old Dec 6, 2006, 12:43 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
seeking other hints

I've spent some considerable time today, searching the CO board and old threads for flights to AU. I've input various destinations, dates etc to down under (actually I don't care where in AUS I go although Sydney would be nice)

What I'm wondering is:

1. Now that I've signed up for a QF account, whats the difference between an AUS/NZ account and a USA account

2. I know holiday times are tough, but say thanksgiving US, is that a tough AUS time to try for an award.

3. when I plug in certain US Points to AUS points, QF has a Y/J/F column but for the day I selected, do they have something like CO that is like a calendar as to when awards are available

4. Does it really matter what 48 Continental State USA destination that I start from? Or for the best results should I always use LAX?

5. Can you do BA Eastbound and say QF westbound or vice versa?

6. Which are the easiest cities during their summer to find J/F tickets too? I would guess sydney is out, but how about Perth?

7. Are stop-overs allowed?

8. I saw (on an older post) where it was stated that usually 2 F seats per flight are award, and I think it was 4J Seats per flight. Is that still true
Old Dec 6, 2006, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
I've spent some considerable time today, searching the CO board and old threads for flights to AU. I've input various destinations, dates etc to down under (actually I don't care where in AUS I go although Sydney would be nice)

What I'm wondering is:

1. Now that I've signed up for a QF account, whats the difference between an AUS/NZ account and a USA account

2. I know holiday times are tough, but say thanksgiving US, is that a tough AUS time to try for an award.

3. when I plug in certain US Points to AUS points, QF has a Y/J/F column but for the day I selected, do they have something like CO that is like a calendar as to when awards are available

4. Does it really matter what 48 Continental State USA destination that I start from? Or for the best results should I always use LAX?

6. Which are the easiest cities during their summer to find J/F tickets too? I would guess sydney is out, but how about Perth?

8. I saw (on an older post) where it was stated that usually 2 F seats per flight are award, and I think it was 4J Seats per flight. Is that still true
1. US acount is free and AU/NZ account costs $$$. Just be thankful.

2. Thanksgiving shouldn't be any harder than any other day in particular.

3. No. Just keep plugging away. I would do searches for routes such as LAX-SYD/MEL/Brisbane/AKL, SFO-SYD/MEL/Brisbane, and JFK-SYD/MEL/Brisbane/AKL. 'Frequent Flyer Friend' software is an excellent choice for avoiding calling CSR every day.

4. I found searching from JFK a great start if you live anywhere on the East Coast. Not only is the flight the best possible trans-con flight around (in J/F especially), but award buckets are different even though it's the same flight from LAX onward. I think it's not on many radars so awards are a bit more available. Also, they attempt to fill up 107/108 as they are normally very empty on the JFK/LAX part. If you grab seats from LAX, you are forced to look for CO/DL availability to LAX (in F perhaps) which is another challenge to deal with and not nearly as nice as a QF plane in J/F

5. No QF (and CO/DL/NW(?)) all the way. Be careful. QF has a sub line called Jet Star that many of the QF domestic routes are being converted to. CO miles cannot be redemed for flights on Jet Star.

6. J/F is just as hard in any gateway city. It is competely random what could be available one day or one hour. You truly feel like you won a lottery when segments become available. domestic connections in AUS are not hard to come by and for $$, are relatively cheap if it comes to that. Just worry about flying into Australia any way possible. You will not have much choice on how, when, or where you get there saddly. It is not a fun process. Again, search out of JFK and you'll see different inventory.

7. Stop overs are allowed but only in SYD, MEL, or Brisbane... Perhaps LAX too if you connect through there. One open Jaw is allowed too which can be very handy in Australia if you want to travel. Internal flights are cheap.. If you want to visit NZ, you must fly into Auckland as other gateway cities are only serviced by JetStar now. I believe CHC still has one QF flight a day but it is very hard to get. As you can't backtrack with a stop over, you'd have to fly US-NZ-AUS-US or US-AUS-NZ-US. It get's complicated.

8. It is not true. It is a grab bag.. I've never seen more than 1 or 2 seats in J available myself personally.

A note about F rewards. F is not available on all QF trans pacific flights (and no domestic flights). If you book a F reward, you are forced into seeking out of less inventory on fewer routes. In addition, I'm not sure if you are allowed J seats on 2-class planes so need to seek RT F.. you can't do F one way and J the other on a F reward.

Be VERY flexible. And stay on top of things. If you find availability on a Trans Pacific segment, reserve it immediately and deal with other segments as they become available. Feel free to tell CSRs that you see availability on xxx flight, please confirm that you are not seeing things

QF rewards are the best use of onepass miles, but creating one burns the hell out of ya. It made me quite bitter at airline miles in general.
Old Dec 6, 2006, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse

What I'm wondering is:

1. US acount is free and AU/NZ account costs $$$. Just be thankful.

2. Thanksgiving shouldn't be any harder than any other day in particular.

3. No. Just keep plugging away. I would do searches for routes such as LAX-SYD/MEL/Brisbane/AKL, SFO-SYD/MEL/Brisbane, and JFK-SYD/MEL/Brisbane/AKL. 'Frequent Flyer Friend' software is an excellent choice for avoiding calling CSR every day.

4. I found searching from JFK a great start if you live anywhere on the East Coast. Not only is the flight the best possible trans-con flight around (in J/F especially), but award buckets are different even though it's the same flight from LAX onward. I think it's not on many radars so awards are a bit more available. Also, they attempt to fill up 107/108 as they are normally very empty on the JFK/LAX part. If you grab seats from LAX, you are forced to look for CO/DL availability to LAX (in F perhaps) which is another challenge to deal with and not nearly as nice as a QF plane in J/F

5. No QF (and CO/DL/NW(?)) all the way. Be careful. QF has a sub line called Jet Star that many of the QF domestic routes are being converted to. CO miles cannot be redemed for flights on Jet Star.

6. J/F is just as hard in any gateway city. It is competely random what could be available one day or one hour. You truly feel like you won a lottery when segments become available. domestic connections in AUS are not hard to come by and for $$, are relatively cheap if it comes to that. Just worry about flying into Australia any way possible. You will not have much choice on how, when, or where you get there saddly. It is not a fun process. Again, search out of JFK and you'll see different inventory.

7. Stop overs are allowed but only in SYD, MEL, or Brisbane... Perhaps LAX too if you connect through there. One open Jaw is allowed too which can be very handy in Australia if you want to travel. Internal flights are cheap.. If you want to visit NZ, you must fly into Auckland as other gateway cities are only serviced by JetStar now. I believe CHC still has one QF flight a day but it is very hard to get. As you can't backtrack with a stop over, you'd have to fly US-NZ-AUS-US or US-AUS-NZ-US. It get's complicated.

8. It is not true. It is a grab bag.. I've never seen more than 1 or 2 seats in J available myself personally.

A note about F rewards. F is not available on all QF trans pacific flights (and no domestic flights). If you book a F reward, you are forced into seeking out of less inventory on fewer routes. In addition, I'm not sure if you are allowed J seats on 2-class planes so need to seek RT F.. you can't do F one way and J the other on a F reward.

Be VERY flexible. And stay on top of things. If you find availability on a Trans Pacific segment, reserve it immediately and deal with other segments as they become available. Feel free to tell CSRs that you see availability on xxx flight, please confirm that you are not seeing things

QF rewards are the best use of onepass miles, but creating one burns the hell out of ya. It made me quite bitter at airline miles in general.
Old Dec 6, 2006, 5:15 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't you use AMEX MR points like "cash" at a penny per point and just buy a couple of tickets to BNE? Might that not be easier than try to play the availability games?
Old Dec 6, 2006, 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by IAATM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't you use AMEX MR points like "cash" at a penny per point and just buy a couple of tickets to BNE? Might that not be easier than try to play the availability games?
Sure it would be easier, but at 135K points/ticket, or $.01/point, you'd need to either find a seat in F for $1,350 or come up with a better plan.

S.
Old Dec 6, 2006, 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12
Sure it would be easier, but at 135K points/ticket, or $.01/point, you'd need to either find a seat in F for $1,350 or come up with a better plan.

S.
True, you are absolutely correct. I'm just thinking that he could fly RDU-LAX-BNE for cash in Y versus RDU-IAH-LAX-HNL-GUM-CNS-BNE on CO (neglecting the partner options via ICN or DXB). I'm married to a non-flyertalker and so I know the way normal people think. Given the choice, we'd be flying through LAX in Y. I'd bet his wife thinks the same way. Don't you?
Old Dec 7, 2006, 10:17 am

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Thanks Inaflash

Since I don't really care where in AUS we go I'll try for all cities, I'll also try both the JFK and LAX gateways to AUS. I really don't care if I have to get to LAX on my own, its the QF award that I want.

I like the open jaw idea, and I think i'll attempt to build that into my flights and just paying for stuff within AUS.

Just curious, Perth to the East coast of AUS is how many hours air time?

Finally, what about CNS? is this worth a long stay (say two weeks or would it be better to do more time elsewhere) assuming thats all I can get?
Old Dec 7, 2006, 1:10 pm

Perth to the East Coast is about 5-6 hours in the air, very similar to a NY-LA flight in the US.

As far as Cairns goes, if you've already seen a lot of other places in Australia and have a good trip planned in NE Queensland then go ahead and stay for 2 weeks. As far as I'm concerned, though, it's not worth spending that much time there if you have the opportunity to see other cities like Sydney, Melbourne, Uluru, Hobart etc for the first time. I lived in Brisbane for 5 months and was not all that impressed, but it might be a fun place to stop for a couple of nights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.