Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Clevelanders Rejoice: Larry Rumored to Announce CLE-CDG In October

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Clevelanders Rejoice: Larry Rumored to Announce CLE-CDG In October

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2006, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kommissar Giga-Posting Direktor, PWP; Fasano Nouveau Aristocrat; CO Platinum; BD Gold; MR Gold
Originally Posted by MBM3
I am on the fence about enough O/D to support this flight. LGW certainly did not prove to have high enough numbers, but I think most of that is due to the lack of connection opportunities on the other side of the pond. That being said, EWR is a freakin nightmare on the best of days and I really do think that CO needs to address the congestion issues. It is silly that a 55 minute flight from CLE to EWR is scheduled for 1 hour 55 minutes. And people still misconnect!
Standing on its own, I don't think CLE would have any more O/D traffic to CDG than it did to LGW. When considering the increased Skyteam connection possibilities through CDG, however, I would expect more O/D traffic.
Old Sep 11, 2006, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by CO 1E
Still leaves open the question whether CO will maintain CLE-LGW or replace it with CLE-CDG. If the latter turns out to be true, it's not much of gain IMO - simply swapping one destination for the other.
Is there really that much demand? I mean NW & AF both operate CDG<->DTW (rumor has it they will begin codesharing shortly)
Old Sep 11, 2006, 8:18 pm

Programs: UA *G
CDG may have strong connections from AF -- but from what I understand, Philips may be having some premium traffic from the Greater Cleveland area to Amsterdam - and I think that 757 should be going to Amsterdam, unless CO is mad at KL, and wants to give the feed to AF, while losing the convenience for Philips.
-Mr. X
Old Sep 11, 2006, 8:32 pm

Programs: NW WorldPerks Marriot Rewards Frontier Early Returns HawaiianMiles
I am still waiting for CLE-PDX
Old Sep 11, 2006, 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by cakcle
I am still waiting for CLE-PDX
While I personally would like this flight as I love Oregon, I just dont see the demand. SEA seems like it struggles, and there is cruise ship demand from their port.
Old Sep 11, 2006, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
While I personally would like this flight as I love Oregon, I just dont see the demand. SEA seems like it struggles, and there is cruise ship demand from their port.

Oregon is great, but the PDX'ers are almost as annoying as the CLE'ers in terms of whining for service from their small town.
Old Sep 11, 2006, 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by JBLUA320
CDG may have strong connections from AF -- but from what I understand, Philips may be having some premium traffic from the Greater Cleveland area to Amsterdam - and I think that 757 should be going to Amsterdam, unless CO is mad at KL, and wants to give the feed to AF, while losing the convenience for Philips.
-Mr. X

While Philips certainly has a presence in the area, there are other companies such as Lubrizol who have a facilities in France. Ultimately, either AMS or CDG would do great for business in Cleveland and the region. Yeah, I know O/D seems to rule the industry, but IMHO connection opportunities and convenient schedules play a valuable role in obtaining lucrative BF customers.
Old Sep 11, 2006, 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by channa
Oregon is great, but the PDX'ers are almost as annoying as the CLE'ers in terms of whining for service from their small town.

If I didn't like you.....

I dont whine, I just make suggestions....

Old Sep 11, 2006, 8:55 pm
Original Poster

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Originally Posted by channa
Hey now! I used to be a PDX'er back in the day. Come to think of it, I still am when it comes to purchasing... but that's neither here nor there. Anyway, w/r/t CLE-PDX service - and CLE-West Coast Service in general - perhaps we'd see more if CO operated the EMB's. Small jet, just beneath 100 seats (2 FAs vis--vis the 735s 3), the ability to do mid-cons, FC, etc. Oh well, there's always hoping!

PS> If anyone's looking for a good meal in PDX, check out the Portland City Grill. Tasty food, great views and an awesome bar!
Old Sep 11, 2006, 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by Billiken
ERJ-145 XXXR.........the kind with drop fuel tanks
That was funny the first time someone wrote it....but now, it is just plain idiotic!
Old Sep 11, 2006, 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by J.Edward
Hey now! I used to be a PDX'er back in the day. Come to think of it, I still am when it comes to purchasing... but that's neither here nor there. Anyway, w/r/t CLE-PDX service - and CLE-West Coast Service in general - perhaps we'd see more if CO operated the EMB's. Small jet, just beneath 100 seats (2 FAs vis--vis the 735s 3), the ability to do mid-cons, FC, etc. Oh well, there's always hoping!

On a more serious note, I really do not think CLE needs - or can support - any additional west coast destinations. Perhaps at least a seasonal SAN flight for more than a couple weeks and more frequency to SFO, but I think we are pretty well covered now. I think a morning CO flight to SLC would be a nice compliment to the afternoon DL flight (which has grown from the EMB170 to an MD80), but I dont see a great need for many other flights to the west.
Old Sep 12, 2006, 3:32 am
RNE

I think this would be awesome, even if it means we lose LGW. While I am on the record as preferring AMS as it is a MUCH easier connection to other points in Europe and beyond.
Agreed! But AMS is a great destination too! I am taking Mrs. RNE on a surprise birthday trip to AMS in April. She loves tulips. Mum's the word at the CLE Do, of course. (Like that play on flower words?)
Old Sep 12, 2006, 6:37 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Unless CO is mad at KL, and wants to give the feed to AF, while losing the convenience for Philips.

I'm a bit confused. I thought AF and KL were one organization. If so, what would it matter if you connected to an AF flight in CDG or a KL flight in AMS. The money would all go to the same company, wouldn't it?
Old Sep 12, 2006, 7:01 am
Original Poster

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Originally Posted by radonc1
Unless CO is mad at KL, and wants to give the feed to AF, while losing the convenience for Philips.

I'm a bit confused. I thought AF and KL were one organization. If so, what would it matter if you connected to an AF flight in CDG or a KL flight in AMS. The money would all go to the same company, wouldn't it?
Another interesting point is the NW/KL (NW/KL+AF ??) Atlantic code-share. If memory serves (and please correct me if I'm mistaken) both Northwest and KLM achieved immunity from antitrust laws for these flights.

In other words, from our perspective this equates to 100% code-sharing - however from their perspective this equates to revenue pooling, joint pricing strategies, relegating American based FF'ers to WP, etc.

So to answer your question about monies going to the same company (AF+KLM) for a NW or KL operated CLE - AMS -_ _ _ flight, I think the revenue would be split between NW and KL per the terms of the code-sharing agreement. Now, if you flew CLE CDG _ _ _ on a CO metal flight that was not code-shared, I think CO would exclusively retain the revenue for the CLE-CDG portion than split it with AF for the CGD - _ _ _ sector.

Now as you know AF and KL have merged so keeping track of whos revenue it is seems mute as any profit (haha) would be passed on to shareholders (bwahahahahaha) who do not distinguish AF revenue from KLM revenue.

Just a guess in the dark. <shrugs>

One final point: this contrast well with the point raised on the recent thread regarding AA/BA being able to offer FF benefits to each others elites on the Atlantic sector. Unlike NW/KL, AA/BA were not granted immunity for code-sharing (again, think revenue pooling, joint pricing, requiring American based FF'ers to be in AAdvantage, etc. -- essentially a "virtual" merger) and therefore lack the ability to... umm... let's see... what's a good euphemism ... "harmonize" their strategies.

(or from our perspective, bending over and grabbing our ankles)

Neat stuff.

Last edited by J.Edward; Sep 12, 2006 at 8:06 am
Old Sep 12, 2006, 7:57 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by CO 1E
Still leaves open the question whether CO will maintain CLE-LGW or replace it with CLE-CDG. If the latter turns out to be true, it's not much of gain IMO - simply swapping one destination for the other.
CLE-CDG likely makes more sense than CLE-LGW - as CDG is a SkyTeam hub and allows transfers to other SkyTeam flights within Europe. LGW is pretty much deadhead.

Also, with all the new security in the UK - connecting passengers likely would prefer to connect in CDG rather than LGW.

Now the issue of flying say DCA-CLE-CDG (RJ+752) versus DCA-EWR-CDG (735+777) - not sure - I still prefer the 735+777 combo.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.