Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Whatever their new standby policy is, it sux

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2006, 10:45 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: UA just 8800 mi short of Silver

I got done with my business early Saturday, but had a 6:50pm flight home. I got to the airport at 11am. CO refused to let me on any of the 3 earlier flights, despite plenty of seats. They wouldn't even sell me the $25 confirmed standby. And, the gate agent even told me the ticket I was holding wasnt even close to the cheapest fare class. He had no clue why I couldnt switch, so I go no explanation, which is so typical of CO these days. So, I sat around picking my nose and drinking beer, and went home at my assigned times with my first class upgrades in hand. I fly more on AA, and cant remember ever having this type of problem with them.
Old Aug 27, 2006, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Never heard of that. What fare class are you on?

One can standby even on standard reward tickets.
Old Aug 27, 2006, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kommissar Giga-Posting Direktor, PWP; Fasano Nouveau Aristocrat; CO Platinum; BD Gold; MR Gold
The only problems I've encountered with confirmed standby are lazy customer service agents in EWR and IAH who were unwilling even to put me on the list due to the fact that they believed the flights were full and that I would not clear (without even checking the flight load, of course). The GAs always put me on without a problem. I've never hear of your situation occuring and you certainly can standby on any ticket. Confirmed standby can only be done if your fare class is available, but regular standby always is available.
Old Aug 27, 2006, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Did you have a connection? You mentioned "upgrades" -- if you were connecting it's likely that the first segment had plenty of room but the connecting segment did not. Pressing the agent for a real answer or asking another agent (or even calling!) often helps in such situations.
Old Aug 27, 2006, 11:53 am

Programs: Alas, the Gravy Train Hath Ended...just happy to be an OW Sapphire and a ST Ivory...whatever
True, you can even call 3 hours before the flight that you wanted to take departs and secure the standby with a $25 fee, thus saving you the hassle of waiting at the airport.
Old Aug 27, 2006, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
If you're upgraded, they have to clear you into coach, then request the upgrade (i.e., you may not get it).

Standby is pretty straightforward. We're missing a piece of this story.
Old Aug 27, 2006, 6:39 pm

Programs: US Silver Preferred
Originally Posted by channa
If you're upgraded, they have to clear you into coach, then request the upgrade (i.e., you may not get it).

Standby is pretty straightforward. We're missing a piece of this story.
Don't know if we're missing any of the story or not. I had a similar experience when flying through EWR a while back. Asked to standby on an earlier flight to PIT (which had plenty of seats). GA told me he could not do anything from the gate, and could not put me on the list. He then told me that I should ask at the customer service counter. When I asked the CS agent, I was told that I was not allowed to standby with my ticket. This was a normal, albeit economy, ticket, but I was not given any options to standby. I don't know for a fact that there were available seats on the earlier flight, but judging from the amount of pax I saw board the plane, it was far from a full flight.
Old Aug 27, 2006, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
I had standby problems once, too. This was shortly after the $25 standby went into effect. I was scheduled PHL-EWR-IAH and wanted to fly PHL-IAH instead. (the first leg was on the infamous, now nonexistant CO2344) They first told me I needed to pay $25 to go standby. Then they told me I couldn't do so because it would involve changing the number of segments. I waited a LONG time while the agent and the supervisor talked. When they came back I offered to pay $25. They talked some more and then put me on standby for free. I got the impression that they had no clue what the real rules or procedures were.
Old Aug 28, 2006, 8:18 am
G23

stand by policy is as follows: Same day change is allowed 3 hours prior to flight time desired. Same bucket must be avail. if not, no SDC. Stand by can only be for the same day of travel. Some tickets prohibit stand by. If you don't know the rules of your ticket call reservations.
Old Aug 28, 2006, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kommissar Giga-Posting Direktor, PWP; Fasano Nouveau Aristocrat; CO Platinum; BD Gold; MR Gold
Originally Posted by G23
stand by policy is as follows: Same day change is allowed 3 hours prior to flight time desired. Same bucket must be avail. if not, no SDC. Stand by can only be for the same day of travel. Some tickets prohibit stand by. If you don't know the rules of your ticket call reservations.
The same fare bucket must be available only for the $25 confirmed standby option, not regular standby, correct? In the past, I have flown regular standby on discounted economy tickets and have been permitted to standby when there clearly has not been any availability in my original fare bucket (and even have been upgraded in such situations).
Old Aug 28, 2006, 8:39 am
G23

correct same fare bucket for the SDC not regualr stand by. unconfirmed stand by just needs room in the same cabin of service or lower.
Old Aug 28, 2006, 1:12 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: UA just 8800 mi short of Silver
Originally Posted by xyzzy
Did you have a connection? You mentioned "upgrades" -- if you were connecting it's likely that the first segment had plenty of room but the connecting segment did not. Pressing the agent for a real answer or asking another agent (or even calling!) often helps in such situations.
Yes, I had Tampa to Houston to San Diego and both legs were upgraded, which I told them I was perfectly willing to give up (but not to a Plat) to get home early, but no dice.
Old Aug 28, 2006, 11:17 pm

Programs: I fly UA, drive Hertz and sleep around...
Did you check bags? With Positive Bag Match in effect, they may not have been able to retrieve your bag for the earlier flight.
Old Aug 29, 2006, 12:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
I agree that the new standby policy needs to be revisited. I have found the thing quite silly and somewhat of a dissatisfier.
Old Aug 29, 2006, 12:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by CateyBeth
Did you check bags? With Positive Bag Match in effect, they may not have been able to retrieve your bag for the earlier flight.
Most airlines only let you check in bags 4 hours before your flight, so this would be in the 7 hour range, so I don't know that this would come in to play.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.