Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Seriously, why so much love for the ice cream sundaes?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seriously, why so much love for the ice cream sundaes?

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2006, 4:41 pm

Programs: Too Many
Never had the sundae on a domestic first--but plenty of times on international BF. Caramel and nuts for me (oh yeah, and a side glass of port to wash it down :-)
Old May 17, 2006, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
I just love the sundae's. I didn't really expect to hear people dislike them; I just think they're great. There's nothing better on a BF site than seeing that sundae cart appear. ^ ^ ^
Old May 17, 2006, 5:47 pm

I guess I'm lucky that they serve Dave's Hawaiian Ice Cream on the flights out of here! Although I haven't really noticed much difference. But I would love to see chocolate or vanilla as an option!
Old May 17, 2006, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA-2MM; GalacticXpress-Irridium
If I'm not mistaken the ice cream out of IAH is Blue Bell brand. Though their vanilla is average, I love their banana split concoction.
Old May 17, 2006, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by themicah
The whipped cream doesn't appear to be whipped or cream. It's more like generic Cool Whip.

The cherries are artificially colored and appear to have sugar added.

The "strawberries" are little bits of strawberries in sugary syrup with artificial color.

The walnuts... well, I guess I can't find any complaint there (except that I really don't like walnuts, but that's just me).

The fudge tastes more like corn syrup with a little cocoa mixed in than actual fudge.

The caramel... well I guess I can't really find fault there either.

So I guess I was wrong about the lack of variety. But I still find it strange how much people like it desipte the incredible low quality of the choices.
Oh come on -- go to your local ice cream shop and they've got the same chemical laden stuff there too. That's what our society is used to. We only serve real maple syrup in our house and have had guests who can't stand the stuff because they're used to the corn-syrup-based glop you get 99 44/100% of the time.

Continental is an airline, not a purveyor of the worlds finest and most wholesome foods. If you want good, wholesome, food that is made with only the finest ingredients, go to a great restaurant.
Old May 17, 2006, 7:39 pm

ok, let's all be honest here. the sundae is probably the worst sundae ever made. the point is the novelty of it. getting ice cream on a plane is cool. no pun intended, and its a nice perosnalized service.

i think its actually more about the service rather than the product. they could easily throw a peice of cake or petit fores on your plate, but instead they offer a very personalized dessert.

i think its a nice gesture and does the job just fine, ie, quenches the post dinner desire for sweets. but dont take it for more than it is. it s a cup filled with $.50 worth of ice cream. i had better desserts sitting on my couch as a four year old, but it is still nice.
Old May 17, 2006, 8:51 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, CO Gold, US Silver, Natl Exec, Hertz #1, Avis Preferred, Elite w/ All US Hotel Programs
Gold, silver, platinum, L-fare, Y-fare, 15 years old, 50 years old... ice cream is the great equalizer. I love watching the stock broker-types who are usually found screaming into their blackberries as we pushback drooling over them. Mine: Carmel, cherry and a little bit of whipped cream. Also made a Coke float on an IAH-OGG flight which turned out to be very popular in the rows behind me. If only they had root beer...

The cookies are good, too, but I skip the macademia nuts. I love the surprise of smelling the cookies baking iabout an hour after they clear out my main meal tray. CLE-LAX is a five-star cookie route because they usually make enough for everybody to have two.
Old May 17, 2006, 9:08 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold, HH Diamond,Hyatt Diamond
Well I love sitting in BF on CO ,having my cheese and fruit after dinner,then topping it off with a Sunday,some Port or Corvasier(sp?)and a piece of cobbler.I could'nt give two XXXX's if it is Bluebell,Ben & Jerry etc. I take mine loaded with nuts,chocalate,cool whip,and a Cherry on top. Then its usually ambien time ,feet up,back down and nighty nite........
Old May 17, 2006, 10:38 pm

Programs: DL Diamond Million Miler, AA Ex-Plat, IHG RA, Marriott PLAT, HERTZ Pres Circle
Please....

....two pages for this topic.

I fly, not to eat sundaes, but to move at more than 500 mph.

Go to Dairy Queen if you need a good sundae, right?
Old May 18, 2006, 1:05 am

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
Originally Posted by dlen111
the point is the novelty of it. getting ice cream on a plane is cool. no pun intended, and its a nice perosnalized service.
I think this is it for many
Old May 18, 2006, 9:36 am

Programs: UA Gold, OZ silver,
Originally Posted by xyzzy
You want variety? You've got whipped cream, cherries, strawberries, walnuts, fudge & caramel (did I get all of that right?) to choose from. The sugar high you get from getting a sundae with "the works" (my personal favorite) can last at least a thousand miles! I'll have to try one with congac next time...
I agree.... it's a nice sugar rush and helps me burn time on that 8 hr flight! ^
My Tasty Sundae
Old May 18, 2006, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
The cherries are artificially colored and appear to have sugar added.

The "strawberries" are little bits of strawberries in sugary syrup with artificial color.

The walnuts... well, I guess I can't find any complaint there (except that I really don't like walnuts, but that's just me).

The fudge tastes more like corn syrup with a little cocoa mixed in than actual fudge.

The caramel... well I guess I can't really find fault there either.
Cherries for sundaes are ALWAYS like that, its how they are made.
Same with the strawberries (for sundae purposes)
Caramel and Fudge(unless its really good fudge) are both sugary and gooey.

I personally much prefer the cobbler with a little ice cream than the sundaes. I also really like the cookies, especially when they are a bit undercooked.
Old May 18, 2006, 10:21 am

I have to agree with XYZZY, in the US we add chemicals to everything and it is something that we have become used to.

Personally, I like the Sundae not because it is the best but, because at 30K feet or there abouts eating something like an ice cream sundae is pretty neat.

BTW, although I do not generally drink alcohol, adding a little bit of Kaluha(sp?) to the plain vanilla ice cream makes a pretty neat treat.

Dan
Old May 19, 2006, 12:19 pm

Programs: NW
I still don't get it; especially after a meal!

AF has hagen-daz bars which you can get during the middle of a long flight; now that is refreshing after 6 hours in and 6 hours to go
Old May 19, 2006, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Ever had a sundae when they forgot to load the dry ice? That usually happens when CO adds a new international destination. By the time sundaes arrive, they're nice and "liquidy"!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.