A business proposal for Continental

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2006, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Follow up

Originally Posted by vincom
What is enough? Continental is already no longer the Freedie Winner - a title they used to be very very proud. Developing a program to just reward only high spending elites will alienate a significant part of thier customer base. I may qualify as a high spending elite, but I would leave a program that doesnt value all customers who fly X miles a year - that riff raff Platinum throws a devil of alot more business that the ocassiona customer who buys one first class ticket a year.
You and I clearly differ on this one. I'd take profitability over the Freddies any day. I believe that the airline has to concentrate more on those passengers that help it become and stay profitable.

Continents is not flying people at a loss, they are working hard to balance the type of fares sold to attract as many people as they can to fill thier planes. The US market is MUCH more competitive than those abroad. We don't have just a few carriers - we have DOZENS of carriers - often with many different airlines competing on similar routes. I also hate to say - that a Platinum who spends 5k a year would LEAVE when he knows another program would reward him better than Continental does, loyatly programs have an odd way of making people sway in thyis country. We want the most we can get for free.
I don't buy the statement that Continental is not flying people at a loss. Certainly, there are high revenue and low revenue passengers on every flight (even on Southwest). Yes, things have to be balanced. My basic argument is why celebrate low revenue (and loss making) passengers, just because they fly a lot? This issue is the thing that makes no sense to me.

Custometr Loyalty is what drives profit in the long run. Any business owner will tell you they've taken a loss once or twice to keep a customer loyal because of the long term benefit.
It's much, much more than customer loyalty. I could generate an incredibly loyal customer base by selling dollar bills for fifty cents.

Not everything is about driving profit. Wake up and smell the reality there is a fine mix between humanity and business - loss sight of this and you've lost all ability to run a successful and profitable business. Continental is working hard to find that mix - and right now they've got a pretty darn good mix, it;s not perfect but as recent financials have reported, it is working.
Take a wiff of reality first Any airline must focus on generating a profit; it's how business works. Lest anyone be under any delusion: Continental hasn't been profitable recently; it did manage a profit in '03; it looks set to be profitable this quarter; however, profitability hasn't been the norm recently. Its return on equity hasn't been stellar.

Things have changed - by rewarding people to use a lower cost channel of ticket booking, they increase the profit fromt hose cheaper fares. BTW, even the cheap fares aren't so cheap anymore.
I agree wholeheartedly; the online booking seems to have worked well. They've also pulled costs out by having electronic statements, etc. However, it's time to move on. It's time to find more ways to move to sustained profitability without the perennial reliance on cost cutting. Continental employees have given back a lot that they earned in the 90's: kudos to them. I would urge the airline to think of ways to drive people to higher tickets--it doesn't have to be that much higher.

They've already done that, but the way it seems you want to cut out any low profit customers from being rewarded. I happen to disagree and think the current method is sufficent.

My Point: Not everthing is going to be about increasing profit, doing so removes the human factor - doing so would be like a repeat of Frank Lorenzo, but this time it would be pulling a Lorenzo over on the customer not the employees.

You have summarized my point--we do disagree. I want to reward those passengers that fly at a profit. I'm not necessarily saying that they wouldn't get rewarded for flying discount tickets. Perhaps the airline needs to create a goal of 10 cents per mile to get EQM; something like that.

With regard to Frank Lorenzo, nice try There are ways to run a profitable company without going to that extreme.
Old Apr 24, 2006, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Good point

Originally Posted by BearX220
I just wanted to chime in here with a point about the British Airways program, whose US arm I belonged to until the revenue-focus revamp in 2003.

The essential error I think BA made for the US market was in failing to see a loyal customer as one who can be a full-fare premium cabin flyer one week, a discount Economy customer the next, etc., and who judges the airline on all those experiences. The BA program is explicitly not for anyone who doesn't buy a lot of full-fare tickets (there's no "riff-raff elite", or at least it's extremely difficult to become one). I believe it may be the only major FF program that rejects membership applications (you have to buy a full-fare ticket, Y or better, to join).

This may work in Europe where business flying is culturally and economically more distinct from leisure flying. The alternatives in Europe are a robust train network and, more recently, EasyJet/Ryanair/etc., which are totally different animals from the premium carriers. And there is no "second BA" in Britain providing level competition ex-London; bmi is the closest. So perhaps BA can afford to rebuff customers who want some loyalty reward for repeated discount purchases (although I don't fly BA anymore and have cashed in all my BAEC miles).

In the US, I don't think any airline can afford to do that. They all have more mixed traffic (there are plenty of businesspeople on Southwest and plenty of vacationers on CO). There is vigorous competition. If they alienate the Platinum who is buying a discount ticket, he can bolt and take all his full-fare revenue to any of half a dozen other airlines. CO is testing the limits with 50% EQM, but the other majors have pointedly not followed suit. And a typical CO flight is the equivalent of BA Club Europe and Ryanair in one airplane. With the margins they're running on, they cannot turn their backs on the cheap-and-cheerful crowd the way BA has. BA is a very unusual duck, making most of its money on US-UK premium cabin services, and CO is nothing like it.

Airline loyalty programs are essentially retention programs, and anyone who consults in, say, the telecom business knows that if a fraction of the effort spent on customer acquisition were diverted to retention, the business would be much healthier. Retaining customers spares you the cost of acquiring new ones. As such retention investment (I think this was Channa's point above) is often rational -- if in the short term you absorb a cost in excess of realized revenue in support of greater customer lifetime value, it's smart.

I definitely agree with your point that a reward program should be passenger rather than itinerary focused. However, I think BA is on to something and Continental can learn from both the good and the bad. One way to accomplish the goal would be to change the bonus structure for EQM's. From an EQM perspective, treating a K and X fare the same doesn't make sense to me. Nor does it make sense to treat a J and H the same way.

Perhaps having a 250% for J; 175% for Y, 150% H (something like that) would address the issue I have raised. The coach fares would be scaled: K through U at 100%; Q through L could range from 100 to 20% EQM. In this way, if a person has a range of fares (high and low) it might balance out: they get more for the high fares. In any event, often there isn't a huge difference between a Q and L fare. If Continental had managed to generate just an extra $6 per passenger in the last quarter, it would have been profitable.
Old Apr 24, 2006, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

They're a growing breed

Originally Posted by pmaddock
I'm curious - do you think there are that many full fare customers that are always full fare customers? In my experience as a corporate traveler I'm seeing an almost relentless push to cost control - e.g. pushing towards the lowest possible fare at all times. Vacation travelers are even more motivated by pocketbook considerations. As such it seems to me that that many full fare customers are paying full fare because they have to (e.g. short notice) and will likekly be buying discount more often than not. Therefore its likely that many full fare customers on a given flight are actually 'mixed fare' customers overall.

As a 'mixed fare' customer I can tell you that my particular behavior is more like a discount fare flyer. I'm more interested in what an airline will do for me all the time as opposed to what they will only do for me when I buy full fare. Its the total package that counts.

So, I would submit its likely that typically only a customer that always flys full-fare is going to respond in the manner you're describing and that these customers are a rare and dying breed.

In my opinion Continental is already pushing the envelope with 50% EQM. It makes CO stand out like a sore-thumb in its own alliance. It think its already chasing some corporate travelers (e.g. ones that can't use CO.com because of corporate travel agent policies) away.

I am not sure if business travelers (full fare) are a dying breed. As the economy improves, you'll see more of such travelers.

Like you, when the fare comes out of my pocket, I buy the lowest fare. Business travel is different.

You raise a good point on the total package issue; I still contend that the Elite program is too generous, rewarding equally both full-fare and people that flight at discount fares all the time.

We clearly differ on the EQM issue!
Old Apr 24, 2006, 5:20 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: CO OnePass Plat and SPG - Plat, Marriott Plat (don't use -it's a comp), AmericaWest CP
Originally Posted by ContinentalFan
With regard to Frank Lorenzo, nice try There are ways to run a profitable company without going to that extreme.

Further changes to the Elite Program to that emphazie on high revenue, would be moving toward Frank Lorenzo style management of the the OnePass Program. I will make sure my vocal voice is heard in that they dont further ruin the program. I will also lead the campaign to boycott Continental if they do.

-Vincent
Old Apr 24, 2006, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
I am not sure if business travelers (full fare) are a dying breed. As the economy improves, you'll see more of such travelers.
But I think the walk-up $2300 transcon Y fare is dead for good. I can't imagine returning to that stick-it-to-'em cost structure, any more than I can imagine again paying $400 for a VCR. The change is structural and permanent. (Bethune to customers, once upon a time: "If you have to go to San Francisco tomorrow and I say the fare is $1500, you're going." Customers to Bethune: Southwest has set the maximum value of a walk-up coach ticket at $299. Nice try.)

If and when the economy does improve we are stuck with what looks like permanent instability in the energy markets... and enough chaotic competition to keep the old, $2k+ transcons that CO used to bank on dead and buried.
Old Apr 24, 2006, 5:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: Continental Gold Elite, United Premier Executive
IMHO, CO has struck the best balance of interests in its FFP of any major US airline. CO will not go int he direction of BA's FFP because USA flyers aren't as captive as British flyers -- 20 years after privatization, BA is STILL the only "omnibus" airline in the UK, and that can not and will not change for the indefinite future.
Old Apr 24, 2006, 5:47 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: CO OnePass Plat and SPG - Plat, Marriott Plat (don't use -it's a comp), AmericaWest CP
Originally Posted by BearX220
But I think the walk-up $2300 transcon Y fare is dead for good. I can't imagine returning to that stick-it-to-'em cost structure, any more than I can imagine again paying $400 for a VCR. The change is structural and permanent. (Bethune to customers, once upon a time: "If you have to go to San Francisco tomorrow and I say the fare is $1500, you're going." Customers to Bethune: Southwest has set the maximum value of a walk-up coach ticket at $299. Nice try.)

If and when the economy does improve we are stuck with what looks like permanent instability in the energy markets... and enough chaotic competition to keep the old, $2k+ transcons that CO used to bank on dead and buried.
Indeed when you can get an "A Fare" for the price of what used to be a Y Fare, you knows the days of full fare coach tickets are long gone.

Welcome to the new frontier, higher oil costs and lower ticket prices - scarey isn't it?

-Vincent
Old Apr 24, 2006, 5:48 pm
In Memoriam

Originally Posted by HeathrowGuy
IMHO, CO has struck the best balance of interests in its FFP of any major US airline. CO will not go int he direction of BA's FFP because USA flyers aren't as captive as British flyers -- 20 years after privatization, BA is STILL the only "omnibus" airline in the UK, and that can not and will not change for the indefinite future.

Competition is a good thing ehh?

-Vincent
Old Apr 24, 2006, 5:53 pm
In Memoriam

Take a wiff of reality first Any airline must focus on generating a profit; it's how business works. Lest anyone be under any delusion: Continental hasn't been profitable recently; it did manage a profit in '03; it looks set to be profitable this quarter; however, profitability hasn't been the norm recently. Its return on equity hasn't been stellar.
I'm a shareholder and customer - no one wants to see them stick around more than me, no one wants to see them produce a profit more than me, no one wants to see customer satifaction rank as high as possible.

Increasing profit will not come from alienating lower fare passenger, because comeptition forces lower fares - there is no way around it. Long term profit and viability will come from loyalty and a fine balance. Continental has made it clear they will not nickle and dine thier customer, but in doing so they will reward thier "best" customers first and everyone else as appropriate.

If you don't seem to agree with the way Continental elects to administer thier program, perhaps its not for you.

-Vincent
Old Apr 24, 2006, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Wow!

Further changes to the Elite Program to that emphazie on high revenue, would be moving toward Frank Lorenzo style management of the the OnePass Program. I will make sure my vocal voice is heard in that they dont further ruin the program. I will also lead the campaign to boycott Continental if they do.

-Vincent
You love playing that Frank Lorenzo card Heck, I would support anything that Continental does that makes it a better and more profitable airline. I have benefited personally from Continental's generosity: getting upgrades that I don't really deserve, getting preferential treatment over other passengers, etc. I believe that the direction I suggest would improve the airline and the program. I think that the airline should implement changes, but be cognizant of the political ramifications. I have some ideas, but in this case, I might send them directly to Continental--I don't want to give your boycott a head start.
Old Apr 24, 2006, 8:27 pm
In Memoriam

You love playing that Frank Lorenzo card Heck, I would support anything that Continental does that makes it a better and more profitable airline. I have benefited personally from Continental's generosity: getting upgrades that I don't really deserve, getting preferential treatment over other passengers, etc. I believe that the direction I suggest would improve the airline and the program. I think that the airline should implement changes, but be cognizant of the political ramifications. I have some ideas, but in this case, I might send them directly to Continental--I don't want to give your boycott a head start.

We must learn from our history to prevent the same mistakes from happening in the future. One thing I have learned ever since starting my own business at the age of 16 and not in the class rooms of Penn State and NYU is that "better" does not always equal "more profitable." There are many times I could have taken the more profitable route, but that wouldn't have lead to the better business I've worked hard to build today.

The direction you suggest would improve rewarding those seeming deserving customers in the short term, it isnt a solution for the long term. I'm in it for the long term as a shareholder and customer.

If Continental peeved me with nasty changes to the OnePass Program that resulted in extreme valuation of revenue and not a fair balance - I'd have a website up and running and it mentioned on CNN before Continental even blinked an eye - so BRING IT ON!

-Vincent
Old Apr 24, 2006, 10:44 pm

Programs: Marriott Life Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Delta and United Silver, IHG Plat

Like you, when the fare comes out of my pocket, I buy the lowest fare. Business travel is different.

You raise a good point on the total package issue; I still contend that the Elite program is too generous, rewarding equally both full-fare and people that flight at discount fares all the time.

We clearly differ on the EQM issue!
Clearly we have some differences. I would however suggest you look at the history of CO and OnePass before passing such judgement. CO really did go "from worst to first" back in the 80's and 90's and OnePass was a very large contributor. CO's far superior Elite Benefits drew a lot of travelers to an airline that had been the scourge of the skies at one time and raised the bar on Elite benefits in many ways.

I think the 'competitive bar' and CO's market position is most relevant to the question you're posing. CO has already made moves that degraded OnePass (50% EQM and lowering FC inventory by shrinking FC sizes and using too many RJs). In the meantime competitors have come closer to matching CO's standard. DL invented 50% EQM and got spanked for it. NW picked up CO's upgrade habit and has a strong following that is willing to ride out all the skanky things they do in Coach. Unless CO is about to make a radical shift in strategy I just don't think the direction you're proposing is going to fly.

Perhaps I'm off base but basically what I think you're proposing is for CO to draw in the "uber-traveler" - someone who is willing to pay full price all the time. That's great if you're in that market but CO isn't anywhere close to that. CO's BF product is really really good for what it is but its not true FC. CO's entire position of mixing Business and First and actually keeping coach amenities seems far better positioned for the 'value' crowd - rather than the 'uber' crowd. As such going any further along these lines with OnePass just doesn't seem to be a good fit at all.
Old Apr 24, 2006, 11:15 pm
In Memoriam

Originally Posted by pmaddock

Perhaps I'm off base but basically what I think you're proposing is for CO to draw in the "uber-traveler" - someone who is willing to pay full price all the time.

I think the OP just wants to reward the high spending traveler and leave the riff raff in the dust.

-Vincent
Old Apr 25, 2006, 2:58 am

Programs: DL MM/FC/FO; UA PS; AA GLD
For a topic that has been discussed more than we like to think about, it managed to stir up some interesting conversation. Obviously this topic must be timely to have elicited so many replies. I for one am glad the OP didn't just "do a search."

BTW, what is the point of extensive typing in bold face. Is it like TYPING IN ALL CAPS. If not, I would suggest dropping the bold face when making statements that could be interpreted in anyway as pejorative. If there have been changes in the spirit of the CO forum as suggested in a recent thread, then I think it is all the more important to think about whether something in our posts could be perceived as meanspirited before hitting "submit reply." @:-)
Old Apr 25, 2006, 4:51 am

Programs: UA 1MM (former 1K, Delta Platinum))
Originally Posted by sushibear
Is it like TYPING IN ALL CAPS?
If we're going to get introspective here, what I found hardest stylistically were all the posts with quotes longer than comments.

Quotes should isolate what one saw interesting in a previous post, and never exceed in length the response. The gut reaction authors have to overcome is this: Can someone who is incapable of editing have anything original to add?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.