Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The "upgrade-flirt": Is it wrong?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2005, 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by jholiiday
Oh well... if I had known it was that easy......

Sadly, as I do most of my flying out of Newark, and most of the Gate Agents I encounter are gruff, older women - I doubt I'd have much of a shot at this "promotion"...
If that's the case then you may want to try the UGMF. Works everytime! ^
Old Dec 30, 2005, 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by Elite Nomore
*sigh*

now you got me, although I'm suspecting that this might have something to do with a product that gets produced with fur....
Old Dec 30, 2005, 2:38 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
Originally Posted by Elite Nomore
I want to say it's something bad... but...

what the heck is it?!
Old Dec 30, 2005, 3:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP and Lifetime Gold, UA LifetMarriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I flirt AFTER I get the upgrade, not before.
Old Dec 30, 2005, 7:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA just 8800 mi short of Silver
Originally Posted by chasbondy
It's not wrong, it's just pathetic
----------------------------
Awwww we have a hater. I guess you must have been left in the back way too many times. Sorry . ---------

Hater?? I rather think it's a matter of self respect. I gave up brown-nosing, in kindergarten. But I do derive a degree of pleasure watching Plats, competing with each other, rush up to the gate agent to whisper sweet nothings into his/her ear, almost going into heat, in a desperate attempt to score a couple of free glasses of wine and a bigger bowl of pasta.

But, since I'm a lowly riff-raff Silver. I have no expectations, and thus am thankful for my upgrades, rather than expecting them. The only difference between you and me is that you are desperate for an upgrade, and I am grateful for them. I dont go short of breath driving to the airport without an EUA, or seeth at CO when I hear "First has checked in full" or wonder which scum Plats have beat me to the draw. I'm actually glad when you get your upgrade, you probably even deserve it, and I even smile when your type occasionally leave one for me.

Last edited by chasbondy; Dec 31, 2005 at 5:56 am Reason: to be nicer
Old Dec 30, 2005, 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by 764toHI
I want to say it's something bad... but...

what the heck is it?!

The M = Mercy

The F = Full Unlawful Carnal Knowledge
Old Dec 31, 2005, 12:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
The OP, through his query about whether his conduct is wrong, apparently feels some at least fleeting sense of guilt about his behavior.

The repetitive nature of his statements about fidelity, as well as the suggestions of others about sexual preference, might be equally indicative of scrupulosity resulting from working long hours and being away from home too much, and nothing more.

Inasmuch as the FlyerTalk Terms and Conditions and the general policies of our host prohibit "talking about" other posters, I'll turn to my reaction to that query raised in the OP.

The "flirting" described is merely a (perhaps excessively) heightened level of courtesy. Good manners are never "wrong."

I agree with the intimations of others upthread that what you attribute to "flirting" might be more likely explained by Platinum status, travel patterns, and being a CO Star. Perhaps we'll never know (until you change these components of the equation).

But does it really matter? If you feel your good manners (or "flirting skills") have resulted in more operational upgrades, good for you!

Courtesy and respect for others never go out of style! And good writing skills have their uses, too.
Old Dec 31, 2005, 11:09 am

Programs: CO One Pass NW Hilton
CO * status

Inresting post and congratulations on your successful upgrade. CO * or CO-Star has been mentioned a couple of times in this thread -- is this an official designation of a CO high flyer or just a natation for a CO good customer? SC
Old Dec 31, 2005, 5:57 pm

Talking

Am I wrong, or are you the passenger from CDG back in 11/04 than gained several free BF tickets and upgrades because of the COS.

You could have used one of them. But then again, that would be too easy.

Watch out you may have a "Date" when you return to CDG. lolol
Old Dec 31, 2005, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
It's not wrong, it's just pathetic
----------------------------
Awwww we have a hater. I guess you must have been left in the back way too many times. Sorry . ---------

Hater?? I rather think it's a matter of self respect. I gave up brown-nosing, in kindergarten. But I do derive a degree of pleasure watching Plats, competing with each other, rush up to the gate agent to whisper sweet nothings into his/her ear, almost going into heat, in a desperate attempt to score a couple of free glasses of wine and a bigger bowl of pasta.

But, since I'm a lowly riff-raff Silver. I have no expectations, and thus am thankful for my upgrades, rather than expecting them. The only difference between you and me is that you are desperate for an upgrade, and I am grateful for them. I dont go short of breath driving to the airport without an EUA, or seeth at CO when I hear "First has checked in full" or wonder which scum Plats have beat me to the draw. I'm actually glad when you get your upgrade, you probably even deserve it, and I even smile when your type occasionally leave one for me.

Just as I suspected, the mystery is finally solved. Silver Elites hate Plats. I think you guys would get more sympathy by admitting it.
Old Jan 1, 2006, 2:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA just 8800 mi short of Silver
Originally Posted by fly747first
Just as I suspected, the mystery is finally solved. Silver Elites hate Plats. I think you guys would get more sympathy by admitting it.
I don't hate Plats, I just dont understand why your type, with your overblown sense of self importance, think with $60 oil that CO should bend over, kiss your ..., and heap more benefits on you for flying your $203 transcons. In fact, arent you meeting with CO execs soon to see what more you can suck out of a stone? Several were even bragging during the year how they got their Platinum for under $1,800 in fares. I bet CO just cherishes those Plats demanding more and more for their generous loyalty.

Last edited by chasbondy; Jan 1, 2006 at 7:46 pm
Old Jan 1, 2006, 5:44 pm
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
...The "flirting" described is merely a (perhaps excessively) heightened level of courtesy. Good manners are never "wrong."

I agree with the intimations of others upthread that what you attribute to "flirting" might be more likely explained by Platinum status, travel patterns, and being a CO Star. Perhaps we'll never know (until you change these components of the equation).

But does it really matter? If you feel your good manners (or "flirting skills") have resulted in more operational upgrades, good for you!

Courtesy and respect for others never go out of style! And good writing skills have their uses, too.

---

Very well put and I agree!

And I'm pretty darn certain, FWIW, that I don't look nearly good enough these days to successfully flirt up to the front either!

Mark
Old Jan 2, 2006, 1:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: CO OnePass Plat, AF Rouge
To set the record "straight" (hee hee)

Wow -- I'm not sure what it is about me, but I have again inadvertently managed to start a thread that has elicited several scathing PMs and e-mails to me based on my OP at the top of this thread. I have been getting several each day, and I am a bit dumbfounded. So, for the record, I am compelled to address here in the principal thread many of the more ridiculous PMs that have clogged my Inbox. The "quoted" lines are lifted straight out of the PMs, and the following stadard text is my reply:

"Any man who admits that another man is attractive is a f***ing homosexual."
No, he's not; and that's just stupid. I am lucky and blessed to be happily married to a gorgeous woman, but I nevertheless recognize the physical attributes of being an atractive man...as does everyone else.

"LawFlyer is probaly f***ing Jean-Luc, and that's how he always gets his upgrades."
No, I'm not. And I am very seldom upgraded, because 90% of my flying is on paid BizFirst tickets anyway.

"LawFlyer is cheating on his wife if he flirts with the gay check-in agent in Paris. But a little flirting with the opposite sex is simple courtesy and expected socializing. If you [LawFlyer] had approached a woman agent with your upgrade flirt, it's OK. But since you were gay-for-pay, and got paid with a nicer seat, you are basically a whore and have shamed your wife and family."
Umm...WHAT?!

"You got an op-up and should have been sent back to Coach for trying to blatantly disrupt the gay agent. It's against the law there and could have also gotten the fag*ot fired. Don't you care how much this hurts the others in Coach?"
First, I may have gotten an op-up, but I checked in pretty early, and op-ups usually happen quite late in the check-in process at overseas out-stations like CDG and LGW. Second, I wasn't blatantly interrupting the agent, as all this occurred during the normal check-in process. Third, calling the agent a "fag*ot" is inappropriate -- we don't even know he is definitely gay, and if he is, I'm not sure he'd appreciate that word. And by the way, NO, it's not "illegal." That's comically insane. And fourth, I don't see how my chatting with the agent "hurt" the people on Coach.

"You are clearly bisexual and weren't thinking properly."
Again...WHAT???

Anyway, to those of you who posted sincere, thoughtful responses, I really appreciated your insights. And just as sincerely, I wish those of you who find it necessary to flame me for quite an innocuous little thread would divert your energies to something more productive than e-screaming at me for wondering aloud in cyberspace what other FT'ers' thoughts are about the upgrade flirt.

The real test: Do I attempt the upgrade flirt when flying back to CDG tomorrow night on CO 10 from IAH? Remember, that will be the return portion of the Coach roundtrip, so I might as well test it out and post the results later, of course!
Old Jan 2, 2006, 1:31 am

Deleted

Last edited by 3timesalady; Nov 10, 2012 at 2:01 am Reason: Someone with obsessive personality disorder
Old Jan 2, 2006, 1:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by CalFlyGAL
Am I wrong, or are you the passenger from CDG back in 11/04 than gained several free BF tickets and upgrades because of the COS.
Good memory.

See Politically Incorrect: The "fat" pax policy (locked thread)
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=370139

Follow-up to "The Fat-Pax Policy" thread: the lawsuit ends!
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=466658

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.