Search

Props returning to CLE

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2003, 12:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CO Silver
Props returning to CLE

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/030210/dam033_1.html

Are these new routes or routes that were previously discontinued?
Old Feb 10, 2003, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Wait a sec -- the back page of my February 2003 CO "Elite Update" newsletter states in LARGE type
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">All jets. More cities. Today's Continental Express.</font>
Yet the Yahoo article cited above says
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Continental codeshare partner CommutAir will operate the flights with a modern fleet of fast, efficient 19-seat turboprop aircraft with all-leather seats.</font>
I gues codeshare flights only count as your own flights when it's convenient. It looks to me like yet another enhancement.
Old Feb 10, 2003, 1:09 pm

Programs: DL Platinum Medallion
That's because this is Continental Connection, not Continental Express.
Old Feb 10, 2003, 1:12 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by xyzzy:
It looks to me like yet another enhancement.</font>
The term "enhancement" has lost any humor and is no longer funny or amusing any longer - LET IT GO. It's just not funny anymore. It's dull and shows an extreme lack of creativity. Beating a dead horse. How else can I say it?
Old Feb 10, 2003, 1:17 pm
Original Member

Location: In protest of Flyertalk's uncalledfor censoring of my point of view, I cancelled my InsideFlyer subscription. So long, and thanks for everything.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by AS Flyer:
The term "enhancement" has lost any humor and is no longer funny or amusing any longer - LET IT GO. It's just not funny anymore. It's dull and shows an extreme lack of creativity. Beating a dead horse. How else can I say it?</font>
Nothing conveys the extreme, doublefaced BULLSPIT of Continental and it backwards management as well as "enhanced". Please use the term 'till their management chokes on it.
Old Feb 10, 2003, 1:22 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by AS Flyer:
The term "enhancement" has lost any humor and is no longer funny or amusing any longer - LET IT GO. It's just not funny anymore. It's dull and shows an extreme lack of creativity. Beating a dead horse. How else can I say it?</font>
I could not agree more!
Old Feb 10, 2003, 1:54 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by NJDavid:
Nothing conveys the extreme, doublefaced BULLSPIT of Continental and it backwards management as well as "enhanced". Please use the term 'till their management chokes on it.</font>
DENY, DENY, DENY!!!
Old Feb 10, 2003, 2:11 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by MEBenson:
I could not agree more! </font>
Me three!
Of course it says today's COex, not tomorrow's ! Also, oh-so-thank-U to Timf for the Express vs. Connection distinction !

------------------
Play the travel game 3 vacations into the future!
Old Feb 10, 2003, 3:41 pm
Original Member

Programs: AAdvantage EXP/1mm/Admirals,United Silver+Club (life),Marriott Titanium,Hilton & Accor Gold
This announcement is a very positive thing for Continental passengers.

Of course, if the marketing gurus continue to use the "All Jet, All the Time" slogan I will be a bit displeased. For Joe Passenger, that just isn't true. Continental Connection is Continental to him.

As for the term "enhancement," I don't know if it is meant to be funny or not. Continental marketing invented this euphemistic term. People on the board use it in the correct context. I'm not sure what the problem is (beyond the fact that we've all been enhanced so frequently over the last couple years).

------------------
"We will not cut benefits from OnePass, our industry-leading frequent flyer program, because we remain committed to rewarding our most loyal customers."

-- Gordon Bethune (Continental's CEO) two weeks before significantly cutting benefits of the OnePass program
Old Feb 10, 2003, 4:53 pm

Programs: BW Diamond, Choice Plat, National Exec Elite
To answer the original question asked....

AZO, PIT and ERI have all had CO service from CLE in the past. PIT and AZO had RJ service, but I think ERI got cut when COEX dropped props. I think CommutAir has a maintenance base in ELM, hence the new service there.

As for the "all Jet" reference... In the past, CO referred to the individual hubs as "all jet". The props were removed from EWR, IAH and CLE. But they never completely left.
Old Feb 11, 2003, 12:51 am

Location: fort worth, tx AA Gold,Best Western-Diamond, HH- Gold, Marriott-Silver
My question is; Are these planes even cheaper to operate than an RJ? With only 19 passengers I could not think they would be real profitable. I guess they are equivalent to the SAAB's NW flies?
Old Feb 11, 2003, 12:53 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G
Operating costs on a twin engine turboprop is significantly cheaper than any jet.
Old Feb 11, 2003, 2:55 am
Original Member

Programs: AAdvantage EXP/1mm/Admirals,United Silver+Club (life),Marriott Titanium,Hilton & Accor Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by wldtrvlr:
...With only 19 passengers I could not think they would be real profitable.</font>
Pilots are paid much less to fly the B1900 than those flying regional jets. Also, since there are fewer than 20 seats, no flight attendants are used. (granted these labor costs are spread out over fewer passengers)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.