Wiki Posts
Search

Nyc Glitch In The System?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2005, 1:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat/Star Gold
NYC Glitch In The System?

Anyone notice that doing a search either for purchase or using miles, that when you type in NYC it only gives LGA or JFK choices and not EWR (ie if you type in NYC and say nonstop it says no flights available now)? Up until today it included all three area airports when doing a search. Does anyone know if this is a permanent change because it definitely adds another step esp when checking award searches (one step forward and two steps back)!

In addition (and this is somewhat old news) I know they no longer include Virgin Atlantic in their award search which some time ago they did include (though as we all know they do include NW). I suppose all of this (additions and subtractions) is an ongoing thing but I wish CO would just settle it once and for all.

Last edited by redreusam; Jun 15, 2005 at 10:38 am
Old Jun 13, 2005, 3:33 pm
Suspended

i did notice that today. when i typed in NYC for NYC to MSP, it gave me all JFK/LGA flights but nothing from EWR. and, it wasn't a price thing. the prices it pulled up were in the $600 range but when i used EWR, it came back with prices in the $500 range (both rip offs, but that's another story).
Old Jun 13, 2005, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
While understandably inconvenient, what you describe is technically correct. NYC is really New York City (LGA/JFK), and EWR is really just Newark.

In the past, I know that CO had it programmed such that NYC was Newark City (EWR/LGA/JFK). And given how much effort CO puts into marketing Newark as New York by displaying things like New York/Newark on departure boards, this is probably a mistake by the CO web folks down in New York/Houston.

Last edited by channa; Jun 13, 2005 at 3:45 pm
Old Jun 14, 2005, 7:48 am
Original Poster

Given that EWR is in New Jersey, it remains a heavily used airport by New York residents and is one of the three major airports for the NYC metropolitan area and it would be a really bad mistake for them to think otherwise. I live in Manhattan and use EWR almost exclusively however if prices/availability exist out of LGA or JFK will journey to both of those airports. Hopefully, CO will rectify this "problem" soon.
Old Jun 14, 2005, 9:34 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hilton, Marriott Rewards,SPG
While it is annoying not to have EWR included. I found in the past the website has been prejudiced. When using NYC it would default to EWR and give those fares first. Only after scrolling to the bottom of the screen would you see the LGA/JFK fares(usually cheaper due to increased LCC competition at those airports).
CO owns EWR and sets the price bar high (most of the time).
Old Jun 14, 2005, 11:23 am

Programs: Bonvoy-Gold, HH-Gold, UA-Gold, *A-Gold
Actually, I think the issue is that if they plug in NYC and include JFK, LGA and EWR, then CO would have to match fares to JetBlue, Song and Spirit out of EWR. So if they remove EWR from NYC they can just compete with their flights out of LGA and JFK.

It's a way to protect their fortress hub is EWR.

- HF
Old Jun 14, 2005, 11:28 am

Profit

I'd agree with that assessment. I'm sure CO made this change in order to protect profit. If it's less convenient for customers, so be it. I noticed this change a couple years ago.

As far as the EWR is in NJ argument, I would just point out that there was a time when EWR was the *only* airport serving NYC. Recall Mayor Fiorello LaGuardia's famous "my ticket says New York" incident: http://www.answers.com/topic/laguardia-airport
Old Jun 14, 2005, 11:37 am
Original Poster

It's funny though how they've gone back and forth on this over the past couple of years. Actually it didn't occur to me about them having to price against the competition out of LGA and JFK (esp with Song and JetBlue in the mix). However, on its own website it doesn't list the competitors' fares anyway. Whatever, as the saying goes "buyer beware."
Old Jun 14, 2005, 2:39 pm
Suspended

new york city (NYC) airports are newark (EWR), laguardia (LGA) and JFK. period. EWR should be included. period.

i live on the west side of manhattan so, sure, i would prefer newark. but, i certainly will go to any NYC airport. the opposite can be said for people that live on the east side in terms of their preference for LGA/JFK.

but, regardless, it's just a cab ride to any of the THREE NYC airports.

more importantly, i think the point of the original post is that CO.O.L used to include EWR in the NYC search and now does not, right?
Old Jun 14, 2005, 2:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO One Pass Nothing, SPG Gold
I just searched MCI to NYC and got EWR and LGA flights.
Old Jun 14, 2005, 3:16 pm
Original Poster

I also live on the west side of Manhattan...hmmmm are we neighbors?!?! LOL

Funny I just did a search NYC to LAX and still get just LGA and JFK w/connections...if I do EWR separately I get the nonstops plus a cheaper fare!!
Old Jun 14, 2005, 3:31 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by redreusam
Funny I just did a search NYC to LAX and still get just LGA and JFK w/connections...if I do EWR separately I get the nonstops plus a cheaper fare!!
this was my experience yesterday with Minneapolis (MSP) flights. while EWR options were cheaper, it only wanted to show me JFK/LGA when i typed NYC.
Old Jun 14, 2005, 5:49 pm

Programs: Active: AA, UA, DL
NW used to have NYC refer to JFK/LGA/EWR. However, NYC only refers to JFK and LGA. EWR now has its own fare structure and is independent of the LGA and JFK in terms of fares. Often, fares are more expensive using EWR!!! Someone else told me that EWR is mostly cargo, so airlines don't care as much.

- Pat
Old Jun 15, 2005, 1:04 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Wiirachay
NW used to have NYC refer to JFK/LGA/EWR. However, NYC only refers to JFK and LGA. EWR now has its own fare structure and is independent of the LGA and JFK in terms of fares. Often, fares are more expensive using EWR!!! Someone else told me that EWR is mostly cargo, so airlines don't care as much.

- Pat
hey, pat....orbitz, expedia, travelocity, etc. use NYC to refer to JFK/LGA & EWR.
Old Jun 15, 2005, 5:46 am

Programs: DL MM/FC/FO; UA PS; AA GLD
Don't all three airports operate under the authority of the NY/NJ Port Authority. So couldn't it be said that JFK and LGA are New Jersey airports?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.