Wiki Posts
Search

Song Comparison

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2005, 9:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat/Star Gold
Song Comparison

Below is something I posted on the Delta website this morning....any comments?!

I am a CO elite flyer and have been for several years now. I had the opportunity (re a very cheap $115 roundtrip fare for leisure purposes) to fly LGA-FLL this weekend on Song. While it was not perfect (the boarding process can be a bit of a challenge) the crew and the cabin were far superior than coach on CO or mainline Delta. As for a first class comparison, well that is hard to do. I have to say though, that besides "free first class food" the seats and legroom were almost as comfortable and the PTV was absolutely a great way to make time "fly." My partner and I booked separate tix and thus had separate seat assignments due to full flights but they had no trouble putting us together in the exit row at the gate and even did it with a smile on their face...something I've had trouble doing even as a plat flyer on CO!!

Let's face it, first class even on transcon routes ain't what it's cracked up to be anymore even when given a complimentary upgrade as I've gotten many times on CO! I honestly don't think any of us can expect that domestic travel is ever going to be the same again after the relative "success" of Song and JetBlue (not to mention Southwest...yikes). I think CO best start thinking of ways to compete...hey on the new planes the least they could do is put PTV esp on the transcon routes.
Old May 10, 2005, 9:11 am

Programs: continental onepass
Song

Just keep in mind you get no eCO elite miles on Song. I heard they were very nice in cabin.
Old May 10, 2005, 9:27 am
Original Poster

Correct on that, however, I get full Delta miles including elite credit! And those transcon JFK-LAX/SFO/SEA trips add up fast esp a I go to LAX 5-6 times a year. Again, I know it's not at all a perfect solution and I definitely want to stick with CO because in most cases they have been very good to me, however temptation is very strong, esp since my elite upgrade chances seem to continually be dropping (even when attempting to use miles)!!!!!
Old May 10, 2005, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
RJ's have all leather seating

seriously, Song is great compared to mainline delta, but CO still has F.
Old May 10, 2005, 9:36 am

Programs: Delta DM/3MM / Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by redreusam
Below is something I posted on the Delta website this morning....any comments?!

I am a CO elite flyer and have been for several years now. I had the opportunity (re a very cheap $115 roundtrip fare for leisure purposes) to fly LGA-FLL this weekend on Song. While it was not perfect (the boarding process can be a bit of a challenge) the crew and the cabin were far superior than coach on CO or mainline Delta. As for a first class comparison, well that is hard to do. I have to say though, that besides "free first class food" the seats and legroom were almost as comfortable and the PTV was absolutely a great way to make time "fly." My partner and I booked separate tix and thus had separate seat assignments due to full flights but they had no trouble putting us together in the exit row at the gate and even did it with a smile on their face...something I've had trouble doing even as a plat flyer on CO!!

Let's face it, first class even on transcon routes ain't what it's cracked up to be anymore even when given a complimentary upgrade as I've gotten many times on CO! I honestly don't think any of us can expect that domestic travel is ever going to be the same again after the relative "success" of Song and JetBlue (not to mention Southwest...yikes). I think CO best start thinking of ways to compete...hey on the new planes the least they could do is put PTV esp on the transcon routes.

I would agree with your statement that Song is a superior products compared to DL (and I assume also CO) mainline coach. I won't fly them anymore due to the lack of a first class/premium product. I could certainly endure the uncomfortable seats for a 1 hour flight, but will not put up with this on transcons.
But for the occasional flyer certainly a good alternative to Southwest
Old May 10, 2005, 9:41 am
Original Poster

Well ya know I gotta say the seats were not uncomfortable at all. I honestly don't think F seats esp on CO's many many many many 73X products (don't even get me started on the 735) are anything spectacular and not a heckuva lot of legroom honestly. And come on, give us ptv's in first for God's sake on those transcon flights. And maybe a whee bit friendlier service would be nice too...or is that more than I should be asking for?!
Old May 10, 2005, 3:03 pm

Programs: DL SM, Marriot PLT, Tall guy in need of legroom
Well ya know I gotta say the seats were not uncomfortable at all. I honestly don't think F seats esp on CO's many many many many 73X products (don't even get me started on the 735) are anything spectacular and not a heckuva lot of legroom honestly. And come on, give us ptv's in first for God's sake on those transcon flights. And maybe a whee bit friendlier service would be nice too...or is that more than I should be asking for?!

That's called Jetblue. This is the CO board
I think its safe to say, Jetblue and/Song's coach product blows away any legacy coach product. Its the potential upgrades to F and the miles that keep us coming back. Although w/ DL's latest and greatest announcement--Song might be a distant memory anyway.
Old May 10, 2005, 3:28 pm

...hey on the new planes the least they could do is put PTV esp on the transcon routes.
My understanding is that PTV only works int he continental US, and hence is not a wise choice for international airlines. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Old May 10, 2005, 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by flymeaway
My understanding is that PTV only works int he continental US, and hence is not a wise choice for international airlines. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
This is true - the directv satellites only cover the CONUS & Jetblue loses coverage halfway over the carribean.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.