CO lost $1.5Million/day in January

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2005, 4:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: HH Silver
CO lost $1.5Million/day in January

http://money.cnn.com/2005/02/11/news...tinental.reut/

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Continental Airlines Inc. Chief Executive and Chairman Larry Kellner told employees Friday that the company's losses totaled more than $1.5 million per day in January.
Old Feb 11, 2005, 6:04 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
Continental and Fuel Hedge

Originally Posted by tcook052
http://money.cnn.com/2005/02/11/news...tinental.reut/

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Continental Airlines Inc. Chief Executive and Chairman Larry Kellner told employees Friday that the company's losses totaled more than $1.5 million per day in January.
On one of the most recent call conference, they indicated that Continental had no fuel hedge in place, although they believe wholeheartedly that they realize significant fuel savings through newer, more fuel efficient aircrafts (engines). Granted, with fuel so high, it may not be a good time to start setting fuel hedges now, but I wonder if current state of financial affairs might encourage the airline to seek this option? If they can realize savings through fuel hedge and efficient "aircrafts", that would be double benefit.

Jiburi
Old Feb 11, 2005, 7:06 pm

Programs: UA 1mm Gold. Former 1K and GS.
Gordo brought up hedging in his final call a few months back. It isn't going to happen for any of the majors....Takes cash to do it. Majors have little to spare.

Southwest is the only airline with enough money to get good hedges in place....And they have !!! Apparently Southwest has all of it's fuel hedged at great prices through the remainder of '05, and about half in '06 already hedged in place.
Old Feb 11, 2005, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It was actually worse than mentioned in the OP:

CO lost $98 million in January before the effect of an extrordinary gain. $3.1 million/day. Ouch.

The first quarter is gonna be ugly for all.
Old Feb 11, 2005, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by climmy
Southwest is the only airline with enough money to get good hedges in place....And they have !!! Apparently Southwest has all of it's fuel hedged at great prices through the remainder of '05, and about half in '06 already hedged in place.
Southwest's fuel position is even better than that:

Although we are 85 percent hedged in first quarter 2005 with prices capped at $26 per barrel, based on current market conditions, we presently expect first quarter 2005 average jet fuel cost per gallon to exceed fourth quarter 2004's 89.1 cents. We are 85 percent hedged for the remainder of 2005 with prices capped at $26 per barrel; 65 percent in 2006 at $32 per barrel; over 45 percent in 2007 at $31 per barrel; 30 percent in 2008 at $33 per barrel; and over 25 percent in 2009 at $35 per barrel.
http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/050119/daw010a_1.html

At this rate, Southwest may be able to weather the storm that threatens to sink most others into Ch 11 (or worse).
Old Feb 11, 2005, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
and worse, CO and the others recorded fantastic load factors, thus, their yields must truly stink...

Old Feb 11, 2005, 7:29 pm

Location: Southwest Desert, under a rock, watch out! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~<" You can get there, but it's gonna cost you!
Programs: Previously NonePass®, now UA 1K (*Enhanced*)
Continental continued to :-: enhance :-: its fuel efficient fleet, taking delivery of 11 Boeing 737-800s and five Boeing 757-300s, and retiring the last of its MD-80 aircraft.
Continental don't mention those darn JungleJets, which according to SEC filings provide 11% of CO's available seat miles, but guzzle 19% of the company's precious fuel.
Old Feb 11, 2005, 7:55 pm

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Originally Posted by snake
... but guzzle 19% of the company's precious fuel.
Really? I was under the impression that the ERJs were quite fuel-efficient. Am I mistaken?
Old Feb 11, 2005, 8:11 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by entropy
and worse, CO and the others recorded fantastic load factors, thus, their yields must truly stink...

Yields do truly stink - that's why CO tries to squeeze out an extra nickel of revenue whenever possible, be it by service fees on Bf upgrades, or by fleecing the few folks who will still pay exorbitant fares...
Old Feb 11, 2005, 8:15 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, AA LTP 2MM
Originally Posted by J.Edward
Really? I was under the impression that the ERJs were quite fuel-efficient. Am I mistaken?
Yep. They are labor efficient, in that XJT crews are paid far less per hour than mainline, and there are only 3 crew (captain, F/O and F/A) per aircraft. Plus they have fewer seats so in the fuel burn calculation they will burn more fuel per ASM than mainline. But the absolute cost per segment must be lower, else CO wouldn't have shifted so much of the schedule to JungleJets.
Old Feb 11, 2005, 8:37 pm

Location: Southwest Desert, under a rock, watch out! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~<" You can get there, but it's gonna cost you!
Originally Posted by J.Edward
The Jungle Jets can be "more" efficient, but only if you compare them to a 737 flying with less then 50 passengers.
Old Feb 11, 2005, 8:45 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Co loss would have been $3M per day, but it was softened by a gain on the contribution of Express Jet Holdings shares to its defined pension plan.

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/yhoo...26638A0D4F4%7D

This article was also corrected. Apparently there were rumors of CO cancelling its order of 10 new Boeing jets (I assume the 7E7's).

Last edited by cova; Feb 11, 2005 at 8:51 pm
Old Feb 11, 2005, 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by cova
Co loss would have been $3M per day, but it was softened by a gain on the contribution of Express Jet Holdings shares to its defined pension plan.

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/yhoo...26638A0D4F4%7D

This article was also corrected. Apparently there were rumors of CO cancelling its order of 10 new Boeing jets (I assume the 7E7's).
Hmmmm... didn't XJT start at about 17 when it started trading, was it back in '02? what's it now?? 11 & change?
Old Feb 11, 2005, 9:54 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
XJT had a 52 week range of 9.49 - 14.35. There was a sell off just after Jan 1st when it was at 13, before falling down to 11. Maybe they bought low and sold high - as the saying goes.
Old Feb 12, 2005, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
I want to know why CO still has so many 737NG's on order...
they aren't pulling that many 752's for international service.. you'd think they would try to convert the orders to 777....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.