Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2000 Platinum Elite Status

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 1999, 9:12 am
Original Poster

Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)
2000 Platinum Elite Status

By raising the bar to 75,000 miles, CO will undoubtedly reduce the number of members of its top tier by a significant amount. I suggest we make a wish list of expanded benefits that we hope those who make the hurdle receive.
I'll start by recommending some kind of upgrade policy form any fare on International flights. Even if its a standby arrangement. This is one of the few areas in which CO is behind its competition. What do you think? I'll try and get a copy of all responses to the CO Onepass people.
Ed

[This message has been edited by Vulcan (edited 08-28-1999).]
Old Aug 28, 1999, 9:30 am
Original Member

Vulcan:

The onepass folks should be reading this forum anyway

I'd agree with the international suggestion, as giving an upgrade on an otherwise empty seat, as a standby, doesn't cost them anything.

One benefit will be with less platinum elites, there will be less competition for upgrades among the remaining platinum elites.

It's far from scientific, but the results of the informal upgrade survey, indicate that platinum and gold elites, at least the ones here on flyertalk, are not lacking for upgrades.

I'd be very happy if they left the program alone, but wouldnt mind a standby platinum upgrade on International flights.
Old Aug 28, 1999, 11:14 am
dg1

Is platinum the highest level on OnePass? If so, then 70,000 miles is a pretty low threshold compared to other programs -- 100,000 in USAirways, I believe 90,000 in United (highest levels). Benefits vary, and maybe comparsion of elite levels would be a good article (it's probably been done before and I just don't remember it).
Old Aug 28, 1999, 12:47 pm
Original Member

dg1:

You can check to online program reviews here at webflyer. They do have a chart comparing the different programs.

BTW: platinum is 75000 not 70000.

Keep in mind, before this year 50000 was CO's highest threshold.
Old Aug 29, 1999, 8:25 pm
Original Poster

Boomer:
I agree that if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I would just like to see CO update the program in a way that would give me more incentive to fly CO. Where I live In the EWR/PHL area, I can take either CO or NW for leisure trips to Europe. I take 5-6 each year Jan-Mar when fares are cheap and I rack up miles toward Platinum status, which will be harder to get in the future. If fares are the same (not a given), then I probably would fly NW thru DTW or MSP because the mileage per trip is substantially greater and I figure that the day is shot anyway. For instance, its almost 1,600 status miles more RT from EWR to AMS by way of DTW. Multiply this by 4 or 5 and it adds up fast. If CO had some type of Upgrade program for Intl flights, even on a standby basis, I would most likely use CO more for the comfort and give them more of my money.
Old Aug 30, 1999, 7:04 am

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
How about allowing a traveling companion of a Platinum to upgrade before arriving at the airport, either via coupons or telephone 24 hrs in advance.
I agree with with changing some of the rules for Platinum upgrades on international flights. Perhaps the 30 day wait for seat rule could be waived, or all but the cheapest discounted fares could be eligible for upgrades.
How about allowing Platinum members to use points for Presidents Clubs.
Old Aug 30, 1999, 10:26 am
Original Member

Mauld:

I would be shocked if they offer president's club access. Too much money at stake there.
The presidents clubs are a source of revenue.
Old Aug 30, 1999, 7:44 pm
Original Member

Vulcan,

You mentioned that Continental is uncompetitive by not offering free upgrades on international flights. Are there any carriers that do this?

My request for Platinum would be to open up the availability of onepass seats (I believe that TWA offers any seat for its Platinum members). It would also be nice if they offered upgrades at 3 days for NW and HP flights, versus the 2 offered today (which puts you in line AFTER their Platinum members).

Jeff
Old Aug 30, 1999, 8:12 pm
Original Member

Jeff:

You do get 3 days on HP, just NW is 2.
Old Aug 31, 1999, 6:57 am
Original Poster

I think that the bottom line for CO/NW is that they need to move to ONE program, with one card that does not distinguish between CO and NW platinums. The biggest impediment to this is the lack of communicability between the two systems. Its truly strange when you walk up to a Presidents Club desk and want to check in for a NW flight to see the CO people get up from their desk and walk over to a NW terminal to do the transaction. Likewise, neither CO/NW can confirm membership status in the other's program, meaning all the requests for upgrades on the other carrier's flights need to be done manually, frequently over the telephone. This seems like a huge waste of time and human resources. I'm sure that they are working on the problem, but it really needs to ge fixed promptly.
Old Aug 31, 1999, 7:19 am

Let's not leave HP out of the equation, either. CO's and HP's Elite programs are extremely similar already.

"Los Tres Amigos: CO/HP/NW"

[This message has been edited by MRLIMO (edited 08-31-1999).]
Old Aug 31, 1999, 2:27 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Gold, Marriott Platinum, ALL Gold
Jeff,

After every 20K miles, DL gives you 2 systemwide upgrade coupons. These can be used to upgrade on international flights from certain fares.

As far as I know, DL is the only airline that provides free international upgrades.
Old Aug 31, 1999, 3:15 pm

Programs: AA-EXP 3 Million Miler, HHonors Diamond (old school) Hertz Presidents Circle, CO-MM, now done.
I would love to be able to upgrade to Europe and South America in BusinessFirst. Twice this year to Europe, and once to GRU, BusinessFirst has had more than one open seat, but not allowed me to upgrade even with miles because of the fare basis. Talk about agravating. One flight out of LIS, I couldn't even secure bulkhead seating!

Extending the 30 day rule for Platinums would also be quite beneficial, along with 24 hour companion upgrade.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.