Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

GA refused to add me to the standby list (at first)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GA refused to add me to the standby list (at first)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2012, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by pigx5
It's not OP's business but I don't think it's inappropriate to converse with them.
It's just a conversation between them and it's not anyone's business.
It is if the pax are very likely to be kettles who have no idea how and Elite status works. It is none of our business if OP does discuss it, but the OP shouldn't be sooo transparent.

As for $150 v. $75 - the pax probably meant 2 x $75.
Old Feb 26, 2012, 8:18 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Hey there, Glad that you stayed with it and got on the flight in the end..

Last edited by Flying Machine; Feb 27, 2012 at 9:20 am
Old Feb 26, 2012, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flying Machine
Hey there, Glad that you stayed with it and got the U/G in the end..
If you are referring to the original post there is nothing in it about an upgrade. It is only about standing by for a different flight. The word upgrade is not mentioned in the post once that I can find and I read it 5 times to make sure I didn't miss something as yours is the second post to talk about upgrades in this thread.
Old Feb 26, 2012, 8:39 pm

Programs: QR platinum
Originally Posted by fastair
This is one of the things that we brought up in Shares training. We (sUA) people thought that the fact that Shares doesn't have a 5A/5B distinction was terrible. That people who have been dis-serviced due to a cncl or delay will fall below those with status who are making a voluntary change. IMHO frequency of flying should not trump an airline's obligation to it's dis-serviced passengers.
This is terrible IMHO. It means that dis-serviced passengers might have a really hard time on non-confirmed flights, especially hub-to-hub...

Also, how are they addressing *A rules for irrops?

"Standby: Previously inconvenienced customers that receive standby status should receive special priority." [from http://tinyurl.com/735wwro ]
Old Feb 26, 2012, 8:49 pm

I was told, in no uncertain terms, on UA a few years back (LAS) when I was added to the standby list for an earlier flight, "You're #1, but I can assure you I've had people sitting here for over 8 hours and they're going before you"!
I simply said, "O.K."!

Hey, no biggie to me, and it only seems right that those people should get out asap, but the computers should be programed to do this properly, instead of leaving it up to the the discretion of the G/A. This ability to over-ride the system is exactly why some people question whether a G/A can move someone of their choosing higher up on the UG list.
Old Feb 26, 2012, 9:42 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by aacharya
It is if the pax are very likely to be kettles who have no idea how and Elite status works. It is none of our business if OP does discuss it, but the OP shouldn't be sooo transparent.
the OP never should have discussed it with them nor tried to explain it to them.Instead if they said anything the OP should have simply and politely said ask the agent to explain it to you as no way will the agent do anything that isnt proper.Its a no win situation

When ever Im running late and the its gonna be a full flight I simply walk up the Red Carpet (now Blue) of cause I get the cat calls of "hey get to the back of the line' "who do you think you are cutting ahead of everyone" etc etc. I simply wait for the GA to acknowledge me and look at my BP, I never try explaining anything to them

I understand why they think as they do and we both want the samething not to be the 1st ones whos carry-on will be gate checked

That older couple only thought hey if he gets on then maybe only 1 of us will and thereby neither of us will go.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 3:24 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by CASAFlyer
Also, how are they addressing *A rules for irrops?

"Standby: Previously inconvenienced customers that receive standby status should receive special priority." [from http://tinyurl.com/735wwro ]
I literally just laughed out loud for 30 seconds straight.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by fastair
This is one of the things that we brought up in Shares training. We (sUA) people thought that the fact that Shares doesn't have a 5A/5B distinction was terrible. That people who have been dis-serviced due to a cncl or delay will fall below those with status who are making a voluntary change. IMHO frequency of flying should not trump an airline's obligation to it's dis-serviced passengers.

Are you getting the sense that SHARES is simply not geared towards IRROPS?

That said, when CO first started prioritizing standby by status maybe 6-7 years ago, I could swear they said they wanted to prioritize IRROPS passengers above regular standbys.

Prior to this, standby on CO was simply first-come, first-served without any consideration for status. When we were lobbying for this to be changed, it was specifically UA's standby procedures that were used as the optimal example.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 9:03 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
+1 - I don't engage with other people who assert themselves. If they don't like it, they can complain to the GA and learn the system from the GA. Nothing worse than putting yourself in the middle because you have no idea what the GA will say after the fact. Right or wrong, let the GA take the heat.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 9:20 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Post corrected..

Originally Posted by Baze
If you are referring to the original post there is nothing in it about an upgrade. It is only about standing by for a different flight. The word upgrade is not mentioned in the post once that I can find and I read it 5 times to make sure I didn't miss something as yours is the second post to talk about upgrades in this thread.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
+1 - I don't engage with other people who assert themselves. If they don't like it, they can complain to the GA and learn the system from the GA. Nothing worse than putting yourself in the middle because you have no idea what the GA will say after the fact. Right or wrong, let the GA take the heat.
Correct! Not saying this is what happened in this instance, and the best tactic is not to say anything and "Stay out of It"!

Some FTer's actually feel that they must get involved in EVERYTHING and forget who is running the show. There is enough possible "Go Wrongs" on every trip without soliciting further grief, and a red face when someone puts you in you place.

Again, this is NOT what happened here but it was an opportune time to make this comment, IMHO!
Old Feb 27, 2012, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mherdeg
I literally just laughed out loud for 30 seconds straight.
But it doesn't say they should be a higher priority than *G, does it?
Old Feb 27, 2012, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
I've met resistance trying to get on a nearly full regional flight flight with standbys already on the list, but I wouldn't take no and big surprise I went to #1 on the list and cleared.

Disappointed to see this sort of behavior from mainline airline employees. Just lazy?
Old Feb 27, 2012, 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by mduell
Disappointed to see this sort of behavior from mainline airline employees. Just lazy?
A lot of what you say is true, but as has been previously noted, some of this is possibly wanting to take care of passengers that have been hanging out all day at the airport, and whom they have become somewhat fond of and feel sorry for. The g/a know that you have a seat on the next flight, but these folks don't and may not get out for days and they can see that.

If a stand-by list rolls over to the next flight exactly what priority should a 1k like myself have over them, when I stroll up to the podium, and put my name on the list? I know, it depends on how they happened to get on the list in the first place, but shouldn't the system be programed to assist these folks also? I am NOT taking sides in this discussion, just asking!!!

I think that that is the reason that some g/a's are reluctant to put walk-up's on the list, as they have sort of taken sides in advance. I've done it previously myself, and was happy to get on an earlier flight, and I played by the rules, but I never felt that the g/a's were lazy to try to help the little guy either.

Every single person on any given plane has a different story and a different reason for flying and my version isn't necessarily any more important than theirs, as I have found out over the years.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by channa
Are you getting the sense that SHARES is simply not geared towards IRROPS?
Frankly, it has very little to do with SHARES and a whole lot to do with CO's extremely poor attitude toward IRROPS!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.