FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/continental-onepass-pre-merger-488/)
-   -   GA refused to add me to the standby list (at first) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/continental-onepass-pre-merger/1318335-ga-refused-add-me-standby-list-first.html)

transparent Feb 26, 2012 3:21 pm

GA refused to add me to the standby list (at first)

ATL to EWR, tried to do a SDC from a flight tomorrow first thing to one today. When I arrived at the gate and asked to be added to the standby list, was told the 12:52 CO4108 was oversold and that they are no longer adding people to the standby list. :confused:

I politely asked again, saying that I understand I may not make it on the flight but that I wanted to be added to the list. Being a Plat in a non-hub airport, I felt it was worth a shot. The next flight was 3:41, and then 5:34 after that, which would be getting in too late to meet family for dinner.

The GA reluctantly added me to the list saying she was asking for volunteers and there was no point to adding me to the list.

After I was added, I checked and ended up being #1 on the list, even with an ATC delay of 30-45 minutes which made it more likely people running late would make the flight, I cleared standby as well as 2 others.

The 2 others, infrequent travelers and elderly, incidentally were very upset I jumped the line saying they had been waiting since 8am (I tried to explain that lots of factors determine the order including fare, to which the reply was "we PAID for these tickets"... they also paid $150 change fees which didn't help their moods).

Anyway, is this standard procedure to refuse to add people to the *standby* list? Good thing I insisted... otherwise would still be in ATL waiting for a flight.

WineCountryUA Feb 26, 2012 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by transparent (Post 18086195)
...Anyway, is this standard procedure to refuse to add people to the *standby* list? ....

it has been reported on FTer from time to time -- it is not standard procedure and for example, has never occurred to me.

Agent was stressed out and anticipated the reaction you heard and I'm sure the agent also heard. Not surprized the other folks did not buy the DYKWIA, I find it best to not try to explain.

fastair Feb 26, 2012 3:43 pm

This is one of the things that we brought up in Shares training. We (sUA) people thought that the fact that Shares doesn't have a 5A/5B distinction was terrible. That people who have been dis-serviced due to a cncl or delay will fall below those with status who are making a voluntary change. IMHO frequency of flying should not trump an airline's obligation to it's dis-serviced passengers.

danville 1K Feb 26, 2012 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by fastair (Post 18086295)
This is one of the things that we brought up in Shares training. We (sUA) people thought that the fact that Shares doesn't have a 5A/5B distinction was terrible. That people who have been dis-serviced due to a cncl or delay will fall below those with status who are making a voluntary change. IMHO frequency of flying should not trump an airline's obligation to it's dis-serviced passengers.

Although I do make use of SDC often and appreciate it when I can get on an earlier (or sometimes a later) flight, I agree with Fastair. A person dis-serviced from an earlier flight should have priority over someone like me who wants to hop on an earlier flight for my own convenience.

Passmethesickbag Feb 26, 2012 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by danville 1K (Post 18086341)
A person dis-serviced from an earlier flight should have priority over someone like me who wants to hop on an earlier flight for my own convenience.

Whilst I fully agree with this, the passengers described by the OP had paid a $150 change fee which makes me think they had not been disserviced.

Baze Feb 26, 2012 4:31 pm

What I am confused about is if the elderly couple had paid for the tickets on the flight and paid a $150 change fee per ticket why are they on the standby list? I am probably just missing something.

danville 1K Feb 26, 2012 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by Passmethesickbag (Post 18086376)
Whilst I fully agree with this, the passengers described by the OP had paid a $150 change fee which makes me think they had not been disserviced.

I was referring specifically to Fastair's comment that SHARES has no mechanism to distinguish a dis-serviced flyer from someone who is changing flights for their own convenience.

danville 1K Feb 26, 2012 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by Baze (Post 18086504)
What I am confused about is if the elderly couple had paid for the tickets on the flight and paid a $150 change fee per ticket why are they on the standby list? I am probably just missing something.

They probably agreed to pay the $75 per pax standby fee, which would not have been charged it they didn't get on the flight.

Baze Feb 26, 2012 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by danville 1K (Post 18086552)
They probably agreed to pay the $75 per pax standby fee, which would not have been charged it they didn't get on the flight.

That would have made sense if it had been written like that not the way the OP wrote it as they paid a $150 change fee.

mnmme Feb 26, 2012 4:58 pm

How can you get on the upgrade list if your not on the flight yet?

pigx5 Feb 26, 2012 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by fastair (Post 18086295)

I agree with you too.

Baze Feb 26, 2012 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by mnmme (Post 18086624)
How can you get on the upgrade list if your not on the flight yet?

Where in the original post do you see anything about upgrade? This was just to get on the plane. Once they cleared standby, which they and 2 others did, then they could get on the upgrade but in the OP there is no mention of upgrade lists.

Or are you just asking in general? And the answer is you can't, you have to clear the standby list first then you can get on the upgrade list.

Often1 Feb 26, 2012 5:16 pm

1. OP's mistake was to engage in direct conversation w. other pax about something which is a private transaction between OP and CO. It's none of their business and it's grossly inappropriate for OP to converse directly with them.

2. We don't know what the other pax issue was and what they had paid for what. But, it's a failing of SHARES that it doesn't prioritize disserviced pax and it's one which needs to be corrected.

pigx5 Feb 26, 2012 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 18086701)
1. OP's mistake was to engage indirect conversation w. other pax about something which is a private transaction between OP and CO. It's none of their business and it's grossly inappropriate for OP to converse directly with them.

It's not OP's business but I don't think it's inappropriate to converse with them.
It's just a conversation between them and it's not anyone's business.

aacharya Feb 26, 2012 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by pigx5 (Post 18086812)
It's not OP's business but I don't think it's inappropriate to converse with them.
It's just a conversation between them and it's not anyone's business.

It is if the pax are very likely to be kettles who have no idea how and Elite status works. It is none of our business if OP does discuss it, but the OP shouldn't be sooo transparent.

As for $150 v. $75 - the pax probably meant 2 x $75.