Wiki Posts
Search

One weird flight

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2012, 10:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MileagePlus 2MM
One weird flight

I rode UA/CO5151 which i ticketed through Continental and flew tonight.

On my PDA boarding pass it said I was waitlisted for an upgrade. But no announcements at gate so I figured the FC had checked in full. When I boarded there was not one person seated in first class, so I asked the fllght attendant if there was any chance to upgrade. She said I had to speak to the gate agent, who after a moment said sure you can sit in first class. I then asked the FA if there was any alcohol served on the flight and she said no. So I just returned to my seat in row 3 which had plenty of legroom and no one beside me.

The options to upgrade are either UDU, 17,500 miles or something like $250 for a buy up. But who in there right mind would do it. It's been a long week and all I wanted was a beer, I've never been on an int'l flight (ok Canada) that did not have alcohol on board.

It really wasn't the end of the world, but I just have to wonder what the heck is going on with this flight? Sloppy lazy service from the GA, the flight attendants indifferent, and no indication of who was really operating the fight, CO or UA.

Looking forward to this merger being consumed. And some consistency. Any one else ever have this happen to them?

Adam
Old Feb 17, 2012, 11:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Hmmm. For the ignorant (I speak of myself), where does 5151 fly to/from? How long is the flight?
Old Feb 17, 2012, 11:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by zrs70
Hmmm. For the ignorant (I speak of myself), where does 5151 fly to/from? How long is the flight?
Looks like this may have been EWR-YUL on the E170. FlightAware shows the duration at 42 minutes.
Old Feb 18, 2012, 3:36 am

Originally Posted by adambrau
I rode UA/CO5151 which i ticketed through Continental and flew tonight.

On my PDA boarding pass it said I was waitlisted for an upgrade. But no announcements at gate so I figured the FC had checked in full. When I boarded there was not one person seated in first class, so I asked the fllght attendant if there was any chance to upgrade. She said I had to speak to the gate agent, who after a moment said sure you can sit in first class. I then asked the FA if there was any alcohol served on the flight and she said no. So I just returned to my seat in row 3 which had plenty of legroom and no one beside me.

The options to upgrade are either UDU, 17,500 miles or something like $250 for a buy up. But who in there right mind would do it. It's been a long week and all I wanted was a beer, I've never been on an int'l flight (ok Canada) that did not have alcohol on board.

It really wasn't the end of the world, but I just have to wonder what the heck is going on with this flight? Sloppy lazy service from the GA, the flight attendants indifferent, and no indication of who was really operating the fight, CO or UA.

Looking forward to this merger being consumed. And some consistency. Any one else ever have this happen to them?

Adam
Looks like everyone on your flight was in their right mind.

I don't see why you are complaining about the employees being lazy and sloppy, since they were willing "after a moment" to let you sit in first class. Perhaps the "no alcohol" was more related to the length of the flight than the destination? I recently flew round-trip on a short (45-minutes-ish) route, and the flight attendants barely had time to hand out cups of water and collect the empties between take-off and landing.

BTW, Amtrak goes from Newark to Montreal, and they serve alcohol.
Old Feb 18, 2012, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Shuttle America was operating the flight.
Old Feb 18, 2012, 9:47 am

Expecting the same professionalism from these puddle jumper folks as one expects from the biggies is a broken heart waiting to happen. The only thing that I personally would be concerned about is the professionalism and experience of the dude in the left front seat, who is peering out the front window!
Old Feb 18, 2012, 10:51 pm
Original Poster

Don't worry my heart wasn't broken. After nearly 2mm bis on UA i have come to understand that consistency is not UA's strong suit. I am still kinda new with CO but they def have a better soft product. I just think it's a little strange that a flight went out with not one pax in FC when the e+ section was pretty full. I figured I was not the only elite, and that since UDU is not exactly new for either airline seemed strange that they wouldn't upgrade pax. Even on the option to upgrade offer (if one were to do it), whether by miles or buy up with cash the website clearly states that flights are subject to meals at meal times (which it wasn't) and free liquor. That nobody seems to care about this sort of false advertising is fine, it just struck me as a matter of principle. YMMV ;-)
Old Feb 18, 2012, 11:16 pm

I have flown this route a few times and hate it. I was IRROPed onto AC a few months ago and loved it (in Y)! Planes were about the same but the FA and GAs were awesome. I think i'll fly to Canada via AC now whenever I can!
Old Feb 18, 2012, 11:34 pm

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
The bottom line is there are thousands of people ratio to 1 for every airline job. This was my lifelong dream to work for an airline. I starting writting my last quarter at college. Just never happened. I wrote tons of letters. In my travels I look at people like this and say to myself how did that person get hired. You need excellent people skills to work in the airline industry but I guess you can't screen for that.
Old Feb 19, 2012, 12:02 am

A few years back I was flying Delta a lot, and they had a commuter carrier that flew a CR jet with three seats across in first. Even on the very short flights they offered a pre-flight drink and drinks in the air. I always had the best service on that carrier, even though I think DL was trying to get rid of them. 4 years later I still can remember a few faces for their great service. S-mizer-zek probably just took too many beans from that flight. A few beans here and a few beans there make the customer happy, too bad S-mizer-zek took those beans.

The 16 ounce can of coffee is now 10 ounces.
Old Feb 19, 2012, 5:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by BF263533
A few years back I was flying Delta a lot, and they had a commuter carrier that flew a CR jet with three seats across in first. Even on the very short flights they offered a pre-flight drink and drinks in the air. I always had the best service on that carrier, even though I think DL was trying to get rid of them. 4 years later I still can remember a few faces for their great service. S-mizer-zek probably just took too many beans from that flight. A few beans here and a few beans there make the customer happy, too bad S-mizer-zek took those beans.

The 16 ounce can of coffee is now 10 ounces.
Remember this flight is operated by ShuttleAmerica, and while UaCo sets the requirements for service on these flights, the regional carriers are the ones actually running their own operations...
Old Feb 19, 2012, 8:50 am
Original Poster

I guess we all hope that when the single operating cert comes through and UA and CO truly become one airline there will be more consistency. Until then we just have to accept these anomalies. It really wasn't a big deal for me, I am pretty humble, but when i turned up at the gate this am for UA 5152 back to EWR, 1 of 9 pax, my upgrade was waiting for me. I still feel the combined entity will have enormous upside potential, it's just taken so long to happen and we are (hopefully) close to the integration. I will attempt to be patient!

;-)
Old Feb 19, 2012, 9:52 am

We may be sorry for what we wish for ---
After 3/3/2012 this airline is going to be one huge "something or nother" and the infighting among the 2 biggies may just carry over to the puddle jumper wanna-bee's!
Old Feb 19, 2012, 10:23 am

I guess we all hope that when the single operating cert comes through and UA and CO truly become one airline there will be more consistency. Until then we just have to accept these anomalies. It really wasn't a big deal for me, I am pretty humble, but when i turned up at the gate this am for UA 5152 back to EWR, 1 of 9 pax, my upgrade was waiting for me. I still feel the combined entity will have enormous upside potential, it's just taken so long to happen and we are (hopefully) close to the integration. I will attempt to be patient!

;-)
They already operate under one single operating cert! (FAA granted them this like 3 months ago).

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2...nited-airlines

I believe you mean when the front end reservation systems are combined.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.