Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SYD-Asia-EU-USA on 1 award?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2012, 3:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM Gold, AA Ex Plat, SPG Plat,Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Executive Elite
SYD-Asia-EU-USA on 1 award?

I beleive I have seen some posts about being able to use a 1 way award from example BKK-FRA-SFO. Does this hold true for example if I wanted to fly SYD-HKG or BKK then onto FRA then to SFO? All of course with less than 24 hrs stop?
Old Feb 5, 2012, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Sure with CO OnePass, as long as you don't backtrack or have too many coupons.
Old Feb 5, 2012, 10:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM
Originally Posted by cbrown5294
I beleive I have seen some posts about being able to use a 1 way award from example BKK-FRA-SFO. Does this hold true for example if I wanted to fly SYD-HKG or BKK then onto FRA then to SFO? All of course with less than 24 hrs stop?
This is absolutely possible. A friend of mine just did this last month: SYD-BKK-FRA-SFO on combined TG/UA metal. Booked on co.com - used the multiple destination feature. I think it cost him 62K (or thereabouts) + USD100 or so in taxes for Y redemption.
Old Feb 6, 2012, 12:53 am

Programs: UA 1K
Wow, that is totally fascinating.

I priced this out as 62,500 miles in SaverPass coach using a multicity search for SYD-BKK, BKK-FRA, FRA-SFO.

The posted price for SYD-SFO is 40000.

The posted price for SYD-BKK is 30000 and the posted price for BKK-SFO is 32500, so it seems like what is actually happening here is that I am being allowed to route BKK-SFO via Europe.

However, if you just try to do BKK-FRA, FRA-SFO, Continental.com spits out an error instead of any options: "Continental.com could not find any available flights for reward travel meeting your requirements. You may modify your search criteria or review the OnePass Travel Reward Rules. If you need additional assistance, in the U.S. and Canada call 1-800-300-1547; the U.K., phone 0800 096 1885; elsewhere contact your local Continental Reservations Office for assistance."

Only when I ask to originate in SYD am I allowed to connect in Europe. However, the SYD-BKK flight can be a week earlier than the rest - it just has to be part of the reward trip. And, adding to my confusion, it's possible to pick up a stopover -- I can fly SYD-BKK one week, BKK-FRA the next week, and FRA-SFO the next week, all for 62.5k miles in SaverPass coach?!

(Just for completeness: SYD-FRA is 55k and FRA-SFO is 30k.)

Last edited by mherdeg; Feb 6, 2012 at 1:00 am
Old Feb 6, 2012, 1:56 pm
aau

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA MM Gold, HHonors Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Plat, IHG Ambassador
is this routing actually allowed according to the OnePass rules or is this a case of taking advantage o co.com's relatively liberal routing suggestions?. I'm looking at the same routing in biz, I can't get it to price online, it always errors out, so I will probably have to call. I can never get complicated multi-city trips on co.com, it always errors out when trying to price. BTW, If I successfully book a SYD-Asia-EU-NA O/W award and later decide to change it by dropping the SYD-Asia part, but keeping everything else the same, does the ticket need to be re-issued?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.