Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Just got CO Gold without enough Miles :-/

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2011, 9:37 pm
Original Poster

Lightbulb Just got CO Gold without enough Miles :-/

I didn't think this happened? I do have a flight booked in Jan, but still not enough miles to get Gold. Is Continental doing this ahead of merging, or is this normal?

Old Dec 26, 2011, 10:08 pm

Programs: AA Gold, UA MM 1K, UK Gold, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb
No love here by CO
Old Dec 26, 2011, 10:10 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Do you have any UA EQMs for 2011? Status will be based on the combination of CO & UA EQMs.

Do you have an UA MP account and have you linked it to your CO OP account?

Welcome to FT!, Supaku
Old Dec 26, 2011, 10:19 pm
Original Poster

Thanks WineCountyUA, no I do not have any of the things you listed. I never had a UA account until a month ago, and I've flown zero miles on it.

One thing I have done, burnt a lot of cash on first/biz faires all at the end of the year. I racked up almost all of my miles in 2011 using first class tickets/refundable fares. I've probably spent over 50k on tickets in the last few months. But, not having known about FT, I did everything direct and received the least amount of miles possible for my flights. I only recently figured out about bonus programs like the 25K free miles I got for a LHR flight.

So thanks for the welcome, I'm already learning a lot by reading up.
Old Dec 26, 2011, 10:24 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Supaku
.... One thing I have done, burnt a lot of cash on first/biz faires all at the end of the year. I racked up almost all of my miles in 2011 using first class tickets/refundable fares. I've probably spent over 50k on tickets in the last few months. ....
early status for high fare travellers has been done by UA in the past http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...w-eqm-eqs.html
and this may be a practice CO also is doing.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 3:21 pm

Programs: UA nada, Hyatt Disc, Hilton Gold
Last year I racked up about ~60k EQMs on about $20k spending (J and C fare TATLs, mostly) and was bumped to Platinum for 2011.

I have flown a similar pattern this year (~58k EQMs on about $19k spending) and will be interested to see where I land in the combined program.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 5:10 pm

Programs: United Global Services, UA Million Miler, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum
I've also had this happen to me, but it was a while back - 5 or 6 years ago.

I shifted my base to London for most of a year and was doing once or twice-monthly runs on VS, banking to their Flying Club. However, I still had about $20K+ in BF tix purchased with CO, landing at around 70K EQMs for the year - in the end they still gave me Platinum.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 5:23 pm

Programs: *
Are you based in the EU?
Old Dec 27, 2011, 5:39 pm

Programs: United Global Services, UA Million Miler, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by ani90
Are you based in the EU?
Nope - always had a US-registered address with CO.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 5:58 pm

Programs: *
Originally Posted by chrisjur
Nope - always had a US-registered address with CO.
sorry my question was to OP
Old Dec 27, 2011, 8:20 pm

Programs: UA
Same thing for me, Gold early on the Continental side:

41,076 Status miles (EQM)
28,350 Flight with United and United Express
1,002 Flight with airline partners
11,724 Bonus for promotions and booking codes

Then over on the Continental side, I see this:

Mileage Balance:0
OnePass Elite Level:Gold
Star Alliance Elite Level:Gold
Year to Date Elite Miles:0
Year to Date Elite Points: 0

I am Europe based, changed my address mid-year when I combined UA-CO accounts. 97% of my flights were UA business ones, LHR-ORD, often last minute work purchases.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.